Why is the University of Nottingham so popular?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
AmyBlue
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
as i already pointed out, it was over 2 years ago......i dont remember what any of my offers were because i didn't take much notice, Durham was my highest offer so thats what i was working towards...... York i think was BBB, and i know St Andrews was my lowest offer but i can't remember what it was.......both of these places are reputable aswell but i didn't go there because i wasn't interested in the courses, not because i think they are bad places.............just see if in two years you remember what your offers from the uni's you don't accept are, i doubt you will.

and i really think you are grasping at straws now by calling my arrogant, all these things that you are accusing me of seem to describe you perfectly.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
"ABB, i think it was"
Yeh right, either you're being arrogant or you're lying because if reputable university like nottingham made you an offer you're very likely to remember what it was.
I don't remember what my Nottingham offer was. I just remember I didn't really like it when I went to look around, but that's purely a personal opinion. I know loads of people who applied to Nottingham but not one who actually accepted the offer. I have no idea why, but there you go.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've applied to durham, nottingham, manchester, newcastle, northumbria and sheffield. although i've yet to hear from durham, manchester and sheffield, my favourites are (in order):

1. durham
2. nottingham
3. manchester
4. sheffield
5. newcastle
6. northumbria

now i don't know about you bickering people but i really think that what matters is your own personal choice, based on location (and stuff to do) as well as course. just because durham isn't supposedly as brilliant as nottingham doesn't mean it's not the right place for someone. just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean other won't.

yes, i've not heard anything from durham, but if it's a rejection i will be genuinely disappointed because it's my first choice. i won't suddenly start ranting about how crap it is. i was chuffed with my offer from nottingham but it doesn't mean i'm gonna start telling the world it beats every other uni! having a sense of attachment to your chosen uni is one thing, but to attack others? that's what's really immature.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pinkegokane)
having a sense of attachment to your chosen uni is one thing, but to attack others? that's what's really immature.
It wasn't so much that they thought their uni's were better than Durham. It was saying that applying to Nottingham was a joke - that'd upset a lot of people who are either at Nottingham (like myself), who have offers or who have been rejected by them.

If you don't mind me asking - what course are you doing AmyBlue?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a lot of reasons for loving it!!

1) Beautiful campus
2) #1 for psychology
3) Instant scholarship for being an international student.
4) Strong in performing arts
5) Next to awesome city, I heard the nightlife and shopping is fantastic.
6) Great ppl like .NK go there!! Hehehe, love ya!

May I ask what you didn't really like there Hildabeast?
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)

theECONOMIST
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I regard nottingham very highly, not only because my mother lectured there, but because it is a great university.
I was made an offer from nottingham and was over the moon, but i also have offers from cambridge and lse.
I will go for cambridge simply because it was Cambridge and the pressure that comes with rejecting it is too much to bare. If Cambridge itself was in nottingham my decision would have probably been a lot easier.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I regard nottingham very highly, not only because my mother lectured there, but because it is a great university.
I was made an offer from nottingham and was over the moon, but i also have offers from cambridge and lse.
I will go for cambridge simply because it was Cambridge and the pressure that comes with rejecting it is too much to bare. If Cambridge itself was in nottingham my decision would have probably been a lot easier.
Haha That is so cool you get to choose. Nottingham here I come.
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
i never intended for my comment to imply that i think the uni itself is a joke, but obviously everybody was so determined to argue that a little fact like that is irrelevent. All i meant was that i needed one more application on my UCAS form and i picked Notts because of its Robin Hood fame (it was either that or Manchester because Morrissey came from there......actually looking back i should have chosen that one because Morrissey is far better than Robin Hood any day)............if that can't be described as a joke application then i don't know what could be

now i hope that people will understand that i wasn't ****ging off Notts or any other uni, i was just being forced to pick another place at the last minute, so i did. I don't know why people overeacted to what was meant to be an irrelevent comment.

btw i'm doing Natural Sciences at Durham and its perfect for me and to the person who hasn't heard from Durham yet don't worry its usually late, i think they take ages to process applications because of the collegiate system.
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
I take it Cambridge didn't make you do a spelling and grammar test...it's actually spelt "too much to bear" darling. Can I just point out that Nottingham has the 3rd highest crime rate in the country, so look forward to insurance that is higher than in London. Also I've heard it said that Nottingham tries to be as good as Doxbridge but fails...they never manage to impress in the league tables either...oh and by the way, I can't remember my offers from the universities I rejected either...does that make me an arrogant liar? Now, anymore of this bickering and I will sack your parents...
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)

1) Beautiful campus
2) #1 for psychology
3) Instant scholarship for being an international student.
4) Strong in performing arts
5) Next to awesome city, I heard the nightlife and shopping is fantastic.

May I ask what you didn't really like there Hildabeast?
Beautiful campus? Don't make me laugh! Sorry but it's hideous! Especially when compared to Durham!
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
well it is Doxbridge, and not Noxbridge, cos lets face it that would just be silly
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
not just us! Doxbridge is the name given to all the things that the 3 uni's do together, like sports and debating etc
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AmyBlue)
not just us! Doxbridge is the name given to all the things that the 3 uni's do together, like sports and debating etc
hmmm...i dont see Nottingham having such direct links to Oxbridge...wonder why....
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
hmmm...i dont see Nottingham having such direct links to Oxbridge...wonder why....
I suppose its because of the similar nature of the collegiate systems within Oxbrdge and Durham. I wouldnt assess a university on how closely linked or not it is to Oxbridge though!
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
At last pinkegokane ! Someone sensible...well said. Which college have you applied to at Durham?
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lala)
I suppose its because of the similar nature of the collegiate systems within Oxbrdge and Durham. I wouldnt assess a university on how closely linked or not it is to Oxbridge though!
No nor would I, but Oxbridge are well recognised as excellent universites and they would surely only choose to accosiate themselves with universities of a similar calibre? There are also many other collegiate universites eg. York, Lancaster, so you can't really use that argument.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No nor would I, but Oxbridge are well recognised as excellent universites and they would surely only choose to accosiate themselves with universities of a similar calibre? There are also many other collegiate universites eg. York, Lancaster, so you can't really use that argument.
Durham is older then the other collegiates you mentioned, if I'm not mistaken, which I think would also have something to do with it, the sports competitions and stuff are probably quite longstanding. I get the impression the links are more between societies within the universities rather than the actual universities themselves, debating and sports clubs etc.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Beautiful campus? Don't make me laugh! Sorry but it's hideous! Especially when compared to Durham!
you are talking such utter bollox, nottingham is widely recognised as one of the uk's most beautiful campus's, i can quote the times if i must

doxbridge, yet another example of durham's sad dillusions of grandeur
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did a search on the term 'doxbridge' and it seems to be mainly used for sporting events between Oxford, Cambridge and Durham. But I'd like to know- is it a term Durham students use much? What does it mean to you?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (40)
13.51%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.53%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (103)
34.8%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.8%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.41%

Watched Threads