Why is the University of Nottingham so popular? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AmyBlue
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
yeah its pretty much that , the sports and societies thing, but is generally used for anything involving all three uni's........we don't use it a lot in durham, i wouldnt say we use it every day, we prefer to use lots of words from the english language otherwise it would get quite confusing
people in oxbridge use it too, thought i'd say that before the predictable comment about it just being a durham thing to make ourselves feel important is used!!!
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AmyBlue)
yeah its pretty much that , the sports and societies thing, but is generally used for anything involving all three uni's........we don't use it a lot in durham, i wouldnt say we use it every day, we prefer to use lots of words from the english language otherwise it would get quite confusing
people in oxbridge use it too, thought i'd say that before the predictable comment about it just being a durham thing to make ourselves feel important is used!!!
I've never actually heard it said before in Oxford. I got the impression from looking it up on google that it wasnt a particularly widely used term, but I just wondered if it was used a lot by Durham students since avehan saw it as something that went in Durham's favour against Nottingham and I thought perhaps that it might be seen as important by Durham students because of her mentioning it.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*Ehem* this is a Nottingham discussion not a Durham one!
Leaby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
*Ehem* this is a Nottingham discussion not a Durham one!
Lol, it certainly is!

I wouldn't say that the campus was 'hideous,' but I certainly wouldn't call it 'beautiful,' especially in comparison with other university colleges and campuses that I've seen (namely, York, Oxford (Mmmm Wadham!)... And, I hesitate to say, Durham ). Really, Nottingham's only attractive because it has grass on it... There are no other 'nice' features that I can remember... Correct me if I'm wrong!
There's no denying, however, that Nottingham is a good university academically. It's very difficult to get into (which I'm sure would be recognised by most employers), and it's high in the league tables for most subjects. Durham is also very reputable, and it may be higher than Nottingham for some subjects. They're very different in terms of atmosphere, and so probably attract different sorts of applicants, therefore there is little need to compare them.
As for applying for a 'joke,' that doesn't anger me too much, as long as, supposing AmyBlue only got an offer from Nottingham and the other five were rejections, she'd still want to go there. A number of my friends put down a sixth choice that wanted low grades, but never would've considered going there even if they only got the one offer, probably just for the ego trip I suppose! That's just a waste of a place, and the university's time. Another girl in my year put down Imperial College 'just to see if she could get in,' but didn't want to go there as living in London's too expensive. Hence, I don't think AmyBlue IS in the wrong here, as I think there are far worse reasons for putting certain choices down on the application form.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)

I wouldn't say that the campus was 'hideous,' but I certainly wouldn't call it 'beautiful,' especially in comparison with other university colleges and campuses that I've seen (namely, York, Oxford (Mmmm Wadham!)... And, I hesitate to say, Durham ). Really, Nottingham's only attractive because it has grass on it... There are no other 'nice' features that I can remember... Correct me if I'm wrong!
Hehhe, funny coz I found Notts's campus a lot nicer than York's (I think the duck poop really brought the image down), but then again it all depends on opinion . Durham is so so so beautiful...if only it was higher in the league tables for psychology....if it were in the top 10 i'd probably make it my first choice (then again Notts is #1). Isn't Durham's overall ranking falling every year? Then again Durham is excellent for Archeology, History, Physics, and Law.

Ok my absolute honest opinion of Notts when I first saw it was this (mind you I only got a 5 min glimpse on the way home from looking @ Durham):

*Drives in the entrance*

Wow...it's green.....these buildings are nice they look like residential areas, but they're too nice to be for student accomodation (looks at map) WHAT?! They are! No way!! Cool! It's very grassy....hmm pretty campus but it just seems to be grass, it'd be nice if there were more trees....*drives on* EWWW the department buildings are SO ugly!!!!

*Drives out*

The End, haha. But i'm hoping that when I have a really good look at Nottingham this spring when I visit i'll have a better impression The buildings I saw might have not been the departments anyways, haha. Durham definately was #1 for aethetics though From what I heard the social life is fantastic in Notts, and there seem to be slightly more opportunities and stuff than Durham. The Hall rivarly in Notts seems to slightly resemble the College rivarly in Durham, but as i'm not a Notts student plz correct me if i'm wrong (.NK help! haha )

It's funny though, all the ppl who are posting from this forum are pro-Durham Any one from Notts, plz voice your opinion on the campus!!
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
as you probably know, i'm already 'pro notts' (not biased or anything)

I don't think anyone could call the Trent building (big white buildings) not impressive.

It's a lovely campus.
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
as you probably know, i'm already 'pro notts' (not biased or anything)

I don't think anyone could call the Trent building (big white buildings) not impressive.

It's a lovely campus.
What about the crime problem in Nottingham?
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
Really, Nottingham's only attractive because it has grass on it... There are no other 'nice' features that I can remember... Correct me if I'm wrong!
We have a lake.(click!) It's pretty Complete with ducks. And geese. And apparently eels...not so sure about that though.

The Trent building(click!) is beautiful, but a lot of the science teaching buildings aren't. Unfortunately, this includes psychology as a building, but it overlooks the lake so as long as you're inside looking out it's beautiful

There's also kiddies activity days at the weekends and so there's bouncy castles and ice cream vans on campus...
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
What about the crime problem in Nottingham?
The uni itself isn't in the city centre and is on the opposite side of Nottingham from St Anne's and The Meadows(two of the better known 'bad' areas of Nottingham).

Crime seems to be pretty low around campus.

I'm just off campus in Broadgate Park and there are always security men walking around during the day as well as when it's dark. I live in a town called Beeston where there seems to be very little crime around at all.

I've heard that the main student area (off campus) isn't so safe, but it's a lot closer to the actual city. Nottingham does have a high crime rate, but so do all large cities.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The Millenium Garden is gorgeous! Noone can look at this and say the campus is 'hideous'!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/360/...m_garden.shtml
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
Actually, i respect Edingburgh, hence why i spelt it with a capital, as for the other two...well.

Anyway, I'm going to Cambridge so i can say and do as i like.
Is your offer unconditional for Cambridge? If not, i'd like to remind you that pride comes before a fall. What's wrong with Manchester? It's an excellent university and a fantastic city.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
Is your offer unconditional for Cambridge? If not, i'd like to remind you that pride comes before a fall. What's wrong with Manchester? It's an excellent university and a fantastic city.
Hi. This is a thread about Nottingham. Please keep your spamming out of this.

Oh and you forgot your obligatory mention of how wonderful durham is. Please edit your post.

Thanks.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ladidda! Nottingham or Durham here I come!
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've heard that Nottingham is a really nice uni....it's got great grounds...one of the best unis in the UK and also it offers some really good courses.

Also, there's quite a large student populace, so there's no shortage of things to do.

G
tigerlily
Report 15 years ago
There are lots of reasons why people choose certain unis. For me Durham is too far to travel. I got a place at Notts and I'm really pleased didn't expect an offer at all.
pinkegokane
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
At last pinkegokane ! Someone sensible...well said. Which college have you applied to at Durham?
university. seriously doubt i'll get in as durham cancelled my course meaning i had to reapply for another one and in the process i was told the quota was very nearly full. oh well miracles can happen...
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Crime in Notts - I've written lenghty replies to this in the past, so do a search if you're concerned
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
YEAH.......i heard they cut u up good in nottingham......especially if u asain or black...........i can imagine getting drunk there....walking home......and getting stabbed and dying.......so i aint going there....
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
btw vavavooom have u checked the grammer in your sig? it's you're not your.....
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
Hi. This is a thread about Nottingham. Please keep your spamming out of this.

Oh and you forgot your obligatory mention of how wonderful durham is. Please edit your post.

Thanks.
Hmmm....the basis for any good argument is comparisson, and i'm trying to prove that Nottingham is actually not that great, which is pretty easy when compared to Durham, so there you go love. ahem *cough* jealousy? *cough* And just for you, my precious, Durham is the best place ever. There, bet that made your night? lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise