Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    Hmmm....the basis for any good argument is comparisson, and i'm trying to prove that Nottingham is actually not that great, which is pretty easy when compared to Durham, so there you go love. ahem *cough* jealousy? *cough* And just for you, my precious, Durham is the best place ever. There, bet that made your night? lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx
    I dont care either way really, but your argument about Durham being better because of its links to Oxbridge didnt really hold water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I dont care either way really, but your argument about Durham being better because of its links to Oxbridge didnt really hold water.
    If you don't care either way, then it implies you don't have anything better to do than reply. Please don't bother wasting everybody else's time and space. If Durham is classed with arguably the 2 best universities in the country and Nottingham isn't I think that this speaks for itself in showing which university is better, and any reasonable person would find this a perfectly valid argument. Now please stop wasting my time, as I have much better things to be doing, none of which involve replying to you. I am quite bored with this argument, as you've dragged it on for days. Toodaloo.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't care either way, then it implies you don't have anything better to do than reply. Please don't bother wasting everybody else's time and space. If Durham is classed with arguably the 2 best universities in the country and Nottingham isn't I think that this speaks for itself in showing which university is better, and any reasonable person would find this a perfectly valid argument. Now please stop wasting my time, as I have much better things to be doing, none of which involve replying to you. I am quite bored with this argument, as you've dragged it on for days. Toodaloo.
    I dont have anything better to do then reply- I'm babysitting. But its been interesting to read this argument.
    Of course, if Durham were classed with the two best universities in the country then you might have a point. But I think if you say it is you're being a tad controversial. Doxbridge?!

ReputationRep:
    wow you really are obsessed by that term aren't you.....it exists, whatever that may mean to anybody, so stop implying that it doesn't

now i think we should leave ppl to get back to talking about the amazingly wonderful, (floating?) palace of dreams that is Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    wow you really are obsessed by that term aren't you.....it exists, whatever that may mean to anybody, so stop implying that it doesn't

now i think we should leave ppl to get back to talking about the amazingly wonderful, (floating?) palace of dreams that is Nottingham
    Never said it didnt, in fact I seem to remember asking you what it meant. You and the other durham one seem obsessed with linking your university to Oxford and Cambridge, and the evidence for this seems to be a few sports competitions. Unconvincing.

deleted because it's rubbish and it's rude.

. If Durham is classed with arguably the 2 best universities in the country and Nottingham isn't I think that this speaks for itself in showing which university is better,
    its not. what are you talking about? durham is no where near the top two, wtf? lse/imperial perhaps you could argue them but durham nooo

Hmmm....the basis for any good argument is comparisson, and i'm trying to prove that Nottingham is actually not that great, which is pretty easy when compared to Durham, so there you go love. ahem *cough* jealousy? *cough* xxxxxxxxxxx
    i didnt apply to durham, because i had never really heard of it before i came on this forum, i don't believe it has any where near the reputation you believe it has and my views are echoed by many on here, search for 'durham' and 'over-rated' if you want

anyway as vavavoom has just made a nice sane and diplomatic post shall we try and drop this?

it is very pretty i must say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    btw vavavooom have u checked the grammer in your sig? it's you're not your.....
    Hahaha thanx, I didn't write it, I copied and pasted a post by JSM and didn't check over it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just wrong to say Durham is better than Nottingham, or the other way round. They both have they're pros and cons and it ultimately depends on what you like. It's just stupid to pull down Nottingham just because you like Durham, and vise versa. They are both wonderful uni's who's forte's are in different areas.

Besides, Durham is a non-campus collegiate uni, whist Nottingham is a campus non-collegiate uni. Very different.

I would like to point out a few things though. Durham is classified as 'Doxbridge' mainly because of it's collegiate system and sports, and the fact it was established after Oxbridge in England (third oldest uni.) but to say the follwing is just wrong:

If Durham is classed with arguably the 2 best universities in the country and Nottingham isn't I think that this speaks for itself in showing which university is better, and any reasonable person would find this a perfectly valid argument.
    I must say it is in no way a valid argument. Besides, Durham isn't that close to Oxbridge academically for one thing. True, it's high academically, but Durham's ranking is slipping every year: it's barely in the top 10 in almost all rankings (being as low as 27th in the Guardian rankings).

LSE and Imperial usually come straight after Oxbridge.

However, to show you that i'm not trying to pull down Durham, I will say that it ranks next to Oxbridge is some subject areas (eg. Law, Geography). In the same sense, Nottingham does too.

Finally I want to say I love both uni's

ReputationRep:
    btw vavavooom have u checked the grammer in your sig? it's you're not your.....
    Ironically, it's grammar. Not grammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Ironically, it's grammar. Not grammer.
    Hee hee! Your the best .NK

ReputationRep:
    Know what I find funny, everyone seems to either hate nottingham or think it is the best university in the world. Maybe, part of the reason so many people applied there as its location is pretty central in England?

ReputationRep:
    i don't hate it and i didn't really know where it was when i applied, i had never really heard of it as being outstanding or awful, it was just like every other uni, and i was and still am kind of indifferent towards it

ReputationRep:
    YEAH.......i heard they cut u up good in nottingham......especially if u asain or black...........i can imagine getting drunk there....walking home......and getting stabbed and dying.......so i aint going there....
    You've got to be joking? Is this guy kidding Joy?
    Nottingham is a large city and there's bound to be a relatively large black poplulation, racism can't be big there can it?

(Original post by PuffDaddy)
    Nottingham is a large city and there's bound to be a relatively large black poplulation, racism can't be big there can it?
    i haven't seen anything like the rubbish he was saying but there seems to be high populations of asians in the midlands and other areas such as bradford and burnley have had trouble with race riots, i wouldnt say the say of notts though, especially not the university which seems to be quite mixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    OH lordy. Please someone tell me he's joking! I'm Asian ... and don't want to be cut up. Someone tell me..

(Original post by lilsunflower)
    OH lordy. Please someone tell me he's joking! I'm Asian ... and don't want to be cut up. Someone tell me..
    *rolls eyes* no, three of my asian friends are here and loving it, this place is so full of random nationalities and stuff and there are a lot of asian/japanese/singaporean/welsh(hehe)/malaysian people here on the business courses

really that is utter rubbish

ReputationRep:
    I can 100% guarantee that they are joking so don't worry.

There is a very diverse population here, both within the university and city as a whole.

Most of the 'problems' involve drug/gun 'gangs' in certain parts of the city, absolutely no where near the uni, so providing your not involved you shouldn't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well, nottingham has a campus in malaysia aswell, with students from there regularly studying at the main campus at notts, so i would believe that with them and many other nationalities notts has a rather diverse student population. Im asian myself and nottingham has a very good reputation down here and i seriously doubt that ud get 'cut up' ive got an offer from here and im not in the least bit even thinking about this aspect

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.