Report 9 years ago
Hey, i'm staying in Brackenhurst
Doing Animal Health =D
YellowDucksOnBlueSocks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm transferring from Zoology to hopefully wildlife conservation!
jammy66
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not quite animal biology or zoology... but im gunna be doing Wildlife Conservation i cant wait...

Finally other people who are on the Brack campus. =]

Anyone in the CF (i think) block??
Catherine13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
I'm transferring from Zoology to hopefully wildlife conservation!
How come you're transferring if you don't mind me asking.
I'm stuck between those two and i can't seem to make my mind up.
YellowDucksOnBlueSocks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Catherine13)
How come you're transferring if you don't mind me asking.
I'm stuck between those two and i can't seem to make my mind up.
Zoology has too much chemistry for me, I am more of a biological diversity kind of student rather than biochemistry

Wildlife conservation seems to have more practical skills in regards to habitats and conservation of animals. Zoology is too scientific for me, too much lab work. I rather be learning about how to handle animals and their general care. I really reaallly don't want to spend my career behind a microscope poking bacteria. My current degree seems to be leading me that way :\

I hope wildlife conservation/ animal biology are what they're described like in the prospectus as they sound fantastic.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
totally forgot about this thread! Hey folks.

I have a bit of a dilemma actually. Basically I was going to do Bsc Zoo biology. However I got some information that Zoo biology was rather specifically for those wanting a career in a zoo or wildlife park, where as Animal biology was more open, so I asked to switch. Now I've been given totally opposite information and have been told Animal biology focuses on farm animals and is all about industry and not much in the way of biology, where as zoo biology is more about general biology! The total damn opposite and it's really frustrating as the zoo biology course is now full up!:mad:

We've been led round in circles about who to talk to. I've got to email admissions now and plead my case, though before I do I need to find out for sure what the differences between the courses are, the website giving course information makes them sound rather similar, the different being it suggests zoo biology leads to a career in a wildlife park, where as Animal biology opens opportunities in government agencies, wildlife parks, law enforcement. That's what I want, which ever one is more general and doesn't focus on one industry.
CharlieBoy2107
Report 9 years ago
That's proper harsh. Does that mean you're stuck doing Animal Biology?

I'm doing Zoo Biology and all I know about it is what it says in the prospectus; that it can lead to employment or research in the UK or abroad in zoos and wildlife parks.
I wanted a more practical experience rather than lab work and I've just read hat Wildlife Conservation would probably be the best route to go with that haha so maybe I'll be screwed as well soon :woo:
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by CharlieBoy2107)
That's proper harsh. Does that mean you're stuck doing Animal Biology?

I'm doing Zoo Biology and all I know about it is what it says in the prospectus; that it can lead to employment or research in the UK or abroad in zoos and wildlife parks.
I wanted a more practical experience rather than lab work and I've just read hat Wildlife Conservation would probably be the best route to go with that haha so maybe I'll be screwed as well soon :woo:
maybe, though to be fair first year modules are similiar. I'm sorting a lengthly email to send tomorrow explaining the situation, hoping that come the 19th they'll be drop-outs and they'll have me high up on the list as I already have a place. If not maybe I'll change in the second year. I don't want no lab work at all, basically what I want is more practical then some of the degrees of zoology offered at more prestidious Unis, but obviously still a decent amount of general biology and the workings of organisms to broaden what I can do.

I'd like to work for the council possibly, Pet shop licence issuer/inspector, working with the DWAL department in a council. Another possibility would be working at an airport and being involved in imports of exotics. If I can earn £25k at some point, I'll be very happy, my needs are simple, I don't dream of luxury.
ZooBioCourseLead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Joey11223,

As the Zoo Biology course leader at NTU I can inform you that Zoo Biology is based around the management and welfare of captive exotics - it is more geared towards those who want to work in zoos as zoo legislation, management and additional skills such as animal record keeping (in ZIMS) is taught however students do still head off into other work places such as within conservation and lab work. At the end of the day, a science degree in Biology is what you are gaining, it is just the focal animals and roles of animals that is the main difference.

Animal Biology is mainly focussed towards domestic and agricultural species but again, that does not stop you from working in a zoo or in conservation at the end of it.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.
Dr Sam Ward
ZooBioCourseLead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
If you are..well say your hellos here!
Hi,
Just to re-iterate - the course choices are Animal Biology or Zoo Biology. We do not cover zoology here at Brack. Zoo Biology is focussed towards exotic animal biology and management, normally those who know they want to work with captive exotics or zoos choose this option. Animal Biology is more the biology of general animals but mainly focusses on domestics and farm species as examples specifically used.

Regards
Dr Sam Ward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (150)
51.72%
No (140)
48.28%

Watched Threads