Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I wanted Trinity though! *whine whine whine*

do you want to try and be happy for people rather than thinking of your own ends!? jeez! Well done Seer, you deserved to get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    do you want to try and be happy for people rather than thinking of your own ends!? jeez! Well done Seer, you deserved to get in!
    Oh yeah. Well done seer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Phonecall from trinity college, cambridge

AAA offer to read philosophy
    Ooo wow, well done They must have really wanted you considering it's an offer without interview and not a shite college

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit weird that they've given an offer without interview. Is no-one else disturbed by this? He could be absolutely anyone! I know they got notes from the original college but still....why NOT interview?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Seer- even if you are a nihilist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Seems a bit weird that they've given an offer without interview. Is no-one else disturbed by this? He could be absolutely anyone! I know they got notes from the original college but still....why NOT interview?

Maybe the notes from the interview were really good...I'm sure with all the christmas hassle and sorting their own candidates out, the less people they have to interview if they think it's not necessary, the better.

And well done Seer, Trinity's a pretty darn good second for Emmanuel

ReputationRep:
    I thought people who got picked from the pool and reinterviewed are very likely to have a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    I thought people who got picked from the pool and reinterviewed are very likely to have a place?
    Not neccessarily - my friend was pooled and got a second interview at Churchill - they had invited 20 of them to interview for 2 places. She came third and they asked her to take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)

From some stats he gave us before, a small percentage of pooled applicants are given offers without interviews. I was surprised in the sense that I thought a 'more reputable' college like Trinity wouldn't take anyone 'straight' from the pool without interview but maybe they thought his interview notes were very good and he was initially pooled from a college like Emmanuel. Plus his interviewers/fellows at Emmanuel may have put a lot of effort into finding a place if they really thought he was capable enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    well alot of it is luck at the end of the day.... there are also other big colleges like St Johns, Kings etc around. You also have a better chance of getting in than me by virtue of being a girl (2 all-girl colleges will be looking for people like you as well, not me )

Big congrats to you! Didn't know Trinity even looked at Pool

ReputationRep:
    Excellent result, Seers. When I was over for interview, Trinity seemed to sprawl everywhere - beautiful to philosophise in, I'd imagine, and massive, so lots of people to philosophise about!

You must have just missed Emma for them to take you so quickly. Many would argue Trinity is better!

Unfortunately, you may have given many of us "about-to-be-rejected"s false hope!

But fantastic result, you deserve it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Phonecall from trinity college, cambridge

AAA offer to read philosophy
    Yayness! Well done! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy001)
    Big congrats to you! Didn't know Trinity even looked at Pool
    They do. I know somebody who applied to (I think) Clare for philosophy - or maybe it was Catz - it was some college with a girls' name and rejected but picked out of the pool by Trinity. They have a lot of places for philosopy, more than most colleges. I guess sometimes they have to look into the pool to fill them with top candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Seer! Really happy for you.

ReputationRep:
    congrats to seer

ReputationRep:
    Well done seer, and anyone else who got an offer.

I got an offer for Trinity too - not out of the pool, I applied there - for Natural Sciences

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I think Seer is lying.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    What makes you say that? Can't be that much of a troll. And where does he say he got an offer without an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    What makes you say that? Can't be that much of a troll. And where does he say he got an offer without an interview?
    Seer is a SHE.

I actually see where Rushda's coming from; it seems a bit fishy to me. I can't see Trinity pulling someone out of the pool in the first place, let alone without giving them an interview at all.

:confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.