oooooohhhhhhhhh yeah Watch

This discussion is closed.
tomek J.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Yes, a Trinity College propoganda machine.
Tifa
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
What do you mean, a real person??? What else would he be - some kind of computer-generated automated response thingy???
perhaps he means a 'forum identity' as opposed to a person being their real self on a forum Afterall the fact that its the internet means Seer could be an 80 year old australian woman with three pet dingoes and a lot of tme on her hands... and whilst the woman would be *real* perhaps Seer would tehnically not be. heh.

Well either way, I think its quite amusing really...
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tifa)
perhaps he means a 'forum identity' as opposed to a person being their real self on a forum Afterall the fact that its the internet means Seer could be an 80 year old australian woman with three pet dingoes and a lot of tme on her hands... and whilst the woman would be *real* perhaps Seer would tehnically not be. heh.

Well either way, I think its quite amusing really...
yeah that's what I meant tifa as JS well knows

MB
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
does anyone even know if seer is a real person?

Musicboy
Seer has caused much upset on this forum in the not too distant past. Particularly with his/her attitude to disabled people, referring to them as '*******s' and imbeciles.

Not a very nice character trait, especially for one choosing to study Philosophy, as you expect them to be empathetic in view of the subject.

However, I would feel pity for someone who would lie about obtaining a place at university to try to justify their feelings of superiority.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
2 weeks ago, on the thread "LSE offers" Seer said he had received an offer of AAB to read Philosophy and would probably go there.
The plot thickens!
I should have studied investigative forensic science!!! lol
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
2 weeks ago, on the thread "LSE offers" Seer said he had received an offer of AAB to read Philosophy and would probably go there.
The plot thickens!
I should have studied investigative forensic science!!! lol
This guy is probably loving all the attention...I say that everyone simply doesn't reply to his posts and stop discussing him! People like that always get kicks from causing controvesy...we all know that at the very least he is a sad individual, worthy at the very least of a little compassion. I for one, here and now, amke the offer to guide Seer through any troubles he may have. Seer are you there? If so, I am here for you if you need to discuss your inferiority complex.

mwah xx
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
Hold on...by the sounds of it, this is all based on the one assumption that Trinity would never take a student out of the pool without an interview?

It's quite well known that the colleges will phone around specifically for students they really feel should get in, but haven't got the room for. As Emmanual is so oversubscribed quite often, maybe it was just the case that they really liked him, but couldn't find the room. Sometimes its also racial quotas - a girl from my school was pooled from Sidney Sussex for Engineering because they'd fulfilled their quota on Chinese/international students. If Seer was rated highly enough, and the only thing in the way was the numbers/quota barrier, then maybe Trinity wouldn't have felt the need to interview. Just because it might not have happened before doesn't mean that it won't *ever*

*shrugs* Not supporting, per say, just suggesting another option.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
Hold on...by the sounds of it, this is all based on the one assumption that Trinity would never take a student out of the pool without an interview?

It's quite well known that the colleges will phone around specifically for students they really feel should get in, but haven't got the room for. As Emmanual is so oversubscribed quite often, maybe it was just the case that they really liked him, but couldn't find the room. Sometimes its also racial quotas - a girl from my school was pooled from Sidney Sussex for Engineering because they'd fulfilled their quota on Chinese/international students. If Seer was rated highly enough, and the only thing in the way was the numbers/quota barrier, then maybe Trinity wouldn't have felt the need to interview. Just because it might not have happened before doesn't mean that it won't *ever*

Adhsur emailed Trinity and they said no-one was taken from the pool for Philosophy.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Adhsur emailed Trinity and they said no-one was taken from the pool for Philosophy.
Seems pretty damning evidence to me.
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Hmmm. Different circumstances not taken into account - maybe the situation didn't qualify as "pooling"...someone getting facts wrong in the admissions office? Lying about the email (objective comment, just guessing) Ok, run out of ideas...

It just seems a lot of hassle for one person to make all that up..and what for? It's only a forum, for pete's sake. Maybe I'm just too eager to be optimistic about people...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It just seems a lot of hassle for one person to make all that up..and what for? It's only a forum, for pete's sake. Maybe I'm just too eager to be optimistic about people...
It's not just the pooling thing. This person posted conflcting stories on this forum about his university offers, but always in a highly patronising tone. It doesn't surprise me that someone like that would go to the trouble.
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
It's not just the pooling thing. This person posted conflcting stories on this forum about his university offers, but always in a highly patronising tone. It doesn't surprise me that someone like that would go to the trouble.
Fair enough. It's a shame though - if it is true that he has lied - if we ever find out. You expect that by our age, people have sort of grown out of this behavior.
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I'd be very careful about what you say. What exactly do you mean by 'racial quota'....and surely chinese/international students is not the same thing or similar? For the record, colleges may have limits on International student numbers (not saying they do, but just that I don't know but that it sounds likely), but have NO 'QUOTA' for different races. A quota re: International students is not a racial one, as International students can often be of the same race as many Cambroidge students. Sorry to be a pedant, but I think it's important to get the distinctions right.

phew...have a wicked weekend everybody by the way
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
meant home students instead of 'Cambridge' students, near the end of my post. Sorry, but I hate that kind of sloppy writing/prejudice, because the distinctions very much matter to the people to whom it relates. eg. me.
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
I'd be very careful about what you say. What exactly do you mean by 'racial quota'....and surely chinese/international students is not the same thing or similar? For the record, colleges may have limits on International student numbers (not saying they do, but just that I don't know but that it sounds likely), but have NO 'QUOTA' for different races. A quota re: International students is not a racial one, as International students can often be of the same race as many Cambroidge students. Sorry to be a pedant, but I think it's important to get the distinctions right.

phew...have a wicked weekend everybody by the way
Yes I am being careful, and no I'm not racist. But what the college passed on back to their school is that one of the reasons she was pooled was due to her race - not because they are racist (of course) but because for the particular course they receive a high number of chinese/asian students, and what was implied was that they had to have restrictions. They also said that if she had applied last year (maybe numbers were better) she would have been taken. (She's not international, per say, but due to being chinese and not having been in the country long enough, she counts, for fees, as international)

On a side note, another factor was the fact that due to english not being her native language, she scored badly on the thinking test (TSA) - which I *do* think is discriminatory by the way - the english questions on that resemble the english SAT, and isn't fair for people whose second language is english. I used chinese/international just to highlight that the quota might be between general home/international students - not in a way to imply that all international students are chinese.
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did not say you were racist, just that quotas DO NOT EXIST for home students. If she counts as an International student, then yes, quotas do exist. However, I maintain that it is important to be clear about what you say and what you mean.
AdamAbdelAziz
Report 14 years ago
Quotas do NOT exist because if they did there would be more than the appallingly **** stat of 84 out of 12000 undergraduates being black.

if they did exist there would almost certainly be more black students.
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, your response is highly confused and contradictory. I don't actually know what point you're trying to make. For this reason, I will end my response here, because it is impossible for me to make any comment until you clarify yourself. Did she get rejected becasue her English wasn't up to scratch? You say this is discriminatory, but by the way I don't...not if she was applying for an arts subject. Did she get rejected because she was an international student and they had fuilled their numbers? This is perfectly reasonable. Also, can I just add, that you are talking absolute tripe, becasue to my knowledge there are no limits on students from particular countries, but colleges themselves choose the international students they want. You also say she is not international per say, but yes she is if she counts for the fees, at least she is as far as the differences in quotas/non quotas, which is surely what your p[oint was about?
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AdamAbdelAziz)
Quotas do NOT exist because if they did there would be more than the appallingly **** stat of 84 out of 12000 undergraduates being black.

if they did exist there would almost certainly be more black students.
EXACTLY...thanks for that. I was not calling Lucerna racist, but asking her to be careful about what she says, especially when she is so wrong
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
I did not say you were racist, just that quotas DO NOT EXIST for home students. If she counts as an International student, then yes, quotas do exist. However, I maintain that it is important to be clear about what you say and what you mean.
Point taken, sorry for jumping the gun a bit, but I have a lot of friends from a variety of cultures, and I tend to bristle on instinct at that sort of assumption. If "international" means that you don't qualify for the 02 fee code - because she hasn't been in the country for long enough apart from for education, then yes she's international. She is at school in England though, so if that means she's a home student, then I'm afraid they must have some sort of quota or she would have been accepted.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1116)
78.93%
Leave (298)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed