Turn on thread page Beta

Career:For money or ineterest? watch

My brother was working for decent money in a job where he sat in the office with nice people but doing work he found uninteresting and ultimately dull. It was comfortable.

He recently switched to a job where he gets less money (ok, only about 20% less). Now he gets to play around with toys all day (gadgets, technology products), gets to be creative (write about them) and fly around the world all expenses paid (see them at trade shows). He works in an office building. Upstairs, a popular mens magazine does photo shoots with top models and eye candy.

He really likes his new job.

ReputationRep:
    If your a scientist or engineer, after you get your degree etc train as a Patent Attorney - that pays very well (so do all jobs in law) plus youll be using your knowledge of science/engineering a lot.

The pay prospects are heightened by the fact that there are a lot of lawyers around, but not many of them know about the REAL stuff like science and enginnering - deeming them completely and utterly useless.
    There is a great demand for Patent Attorneys - particulary im told in the chemical/pharmaceutical industry.

I want to go into chemistry, but am also, like you, considering the money aspect of life 'at the bench'.
    Im considering, when I graduate/complete postgrad research to go into patents as its a very worthwhile profession.

Another - if your into maths - is an Actuary - arguably one of the best-paid jobs in the Finance sector - but unfortunately dead boring (but possibly not if you enjoy maths).

ReputationRep:
    my uncle is a patent attorney and he says its really boring- involves lots of nit-picking, dealing with crazy rich companies who try to patent everything possible- then trying to sue smaller rival companies for doing really basic stuff cos they have it patented first- anyways its an evil job- but very well paid.
    as for actuary- i would definitely disagree that its one of the best paid jobs in finance when you compare it with ib, general banking etc, i dont know why everyone thinks its so well paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Money. Doing a job for fun doesn't help you support a family and you generally get treated like **** anyway in low paid jobs.
    What job do you do now you've done your chemistry degree?

(Original post by Rouge)
    my uncle is a patent attorney and he says its really boring- involves lots of nit-picking, dealing with crazy rich companies who try to patent everything possible- then trying to sue smaller rival companies for doing really basic stuff cos they have it patented first- anyways its an evil job- but very well paid.
    as for actuary- i would definitely disagree that its one of the best paid jobs in finance when you compare it with ib, general banking etc, i dont know why everyone thinks its so well paid
    Actuary is minimum risk (if you are good enough to be one), secure and the pay is guarenteed to be comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    After, hearing all these, I feel it's a bit cheerful, thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.