Want more information about this university?
marschak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello everyone,
I'm hopefully moving to London to study media and culture, but still can't decide which uni to choose.

Roehampton seems to have a better reputation (it beats middlesex at media studies according to the rankings), but the campus is kinda old (Digby Stuart) and situated in the middle of a giant grimy council estate. All the amenities are pretty far away (Putney).

Middlesex's Trent Park campus looks like a decent place to study, although the surrounding areas are quite dull too.

btw I'm an international student and will be renting a room in the private sector.
victor_b1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dont go middlesex i live near there and the area is very dull and the uni is also not very good
marschak
Rep:
?
(Original post by victor_b1992)
dont go middlesex i live near there and the area is very dull and the uni is also not very good
the Trent Park campus?
starcat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Near where? Middlesex uni is based at several separate campuses, as varied as Trent Park and Hendon.
victor_b1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by starcat)
Near where? Middlesex uni is based at several separate campuses, as varied as Trent Park and Hendon.
yes hendon which is ment to be the best one lol
starcat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes hendon which is ment to be the best one lol
Ah.. so that won't be very useful for the OP who'd be studying at Trent park.

My course is taught at Cat Hill and I've heard a lot of good things about the Trent Park campus, even if the halls are a bit basic.
marschak
Rep:
?
wonder what those good things are, I think it's kinda isolated
samwilson530
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by marschak)
Hello everyone,
I'm hopefully moving to London to study media and culture, but still can't decide which uni to choose.

Roehampton seems to have a better reputation (it beats middlesex at media studies according to the rankings), but the campus is kinda old (Digby Stuart) and situated in the middle of a giant grimy council estate. All the amenities are pretty far away (Putney).

Middlesex's Trent Park campus looks like a decent place to study, although the surrounding areas are quite dull too.

btw I'm an international student and will be renting a room in the private sector.

I'm at Roehampton at the moment in my first year! What do you mean the campus is old??? Digby/southlands/froebel are all quite modern campuses with loads of work going on over the summer to modernise it even more (new bar!!). Some of the buildings do admittedly look quite old, but in terms of the university its quite modern.
I think if you've only visited once the look of the estate might put you off the uni, but its really not that bad at all. The main campus itself is outside of the estate, and i'm renting off campus with a group of friends in the estate next year and we're not worried about it at all. Don't let the look of it put you off because its really not that bad.
In terms of the location, Roehampton is a bit out of the way, but it only takes about 20mins to walk to putney or 10 mins on the bus. Buses run right outside the uni reguarly throughout the day (every 10-15mins) to putney, hammersmith, shepards bush (westfields!!) richmond.
If u have any more questions just ask :-)
marschak
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info!
Is Putney the cheapest place to rent a room outside roehampton's estates?
Too bad Richmond is so expensive to live in :hmmm:
samwilson530
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Putney will be a bit more expensive obviously than Roehampton but not as expensive as Richmond. A couple of friends are renting in Hammersmith next year and they've found quite a cheap place. I think its just a matter of searching for the cheapest place you can. Why don't you want to stay in halls?
Obviously staying in the Roehampton area would be much more of an advantage to you because you'd be close to classes/library/computer suites and student union events.
marschak
Rep:
?
Well, guess it beats living in North London/Enfield anyway
What about Roehampton's facilities?
I've heard that there have been some problems with organisation and that Roe is known for being one of the most religious universities in the UK
bansheeee*
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
go to roehampton, its an amzing uni in a really good location close to wimbledon and putney and not far from central. i went there and had the best time of my life, i dont know much about middlesex but i would def choose roehampton, the facilities are really good ,theres a gym , a bar , a resteraunt and internet cafe all in whitelands alone, the main campus has a library ,bookshop, 2 bars .and the su.
marschak
Rep:
?
(Original post by bansheeee*)
It's not a very good uni,and the degree is as useful as a years work experience ,i lived in the area for a year ,it's in the middle of the largest high rise council estate in the world ,in my degree i had modules which barely related to what i was studying ,completely random modules ,i use to fail essays because when i handed them in the office would lose them and say i never handed them in at all,one lecturer failed me an essay and claimed i never handed it in ,i told my tutor and she told the lecturer i did hand it in then she said 'she found it' and marked me 40% when it was clearly worth more ,I even handed in an essay I had written by an author of chemistry books ,just before i left ,and they failed the essay . Roehampton residents also like to bring pitbulls for walks with no lead but the police are too afraid to do anything about it ,when you order a pizza the delivery people wont even drive up 'holybourne avenue' after it gets dark .
orly?
marschak
Rep:
?
ok, so I chose Roehampton. Does anyone know where is the best (the cheapest) place accessible by bus to rent a room outside the uni and those council estates?
c550j
Report 10 years ago
middlesex is accredited as a media skillset university.
but im not sure about their course. roehampton's didn't seem that good though, the media open day felt like a waste of time
marschak
Rep:
?
(Original post by c550j)
middlesex is accredited as a media skillset university.
but im not sure about their course. roehampton's didn't seem that good though, the media open day felt like a waste of time
can you please tell more?
c550j
Report 10 years ago
i can only tell you what i felt at the open day but try to get in contact with students that are already there.

but roehampton's course was strictly theory, and it seemed like they get you to do a lot of non-work which isn't helpful for getting in the industry. Also roehampton uni is better known for performing arts, and they didn't seem to have as strong links to the industry. I did like the area, and the campus was nice but the media talk didn't excite me or attract me.

middlesex has a few more practical units, and are moving to a new arts centre in Hendon (NW london) its also a skillset academy:

"The Skillset Media Academies form a network of colleges and universities across the UK which are centres of excellence in television and interactive media.

The Skillset Screen Academies are institutions which the UK film industry has identified as those offering the highest quality of skills training for film."

Hope that helps a bit.
marschak
Rep:
?
and what about the staff? are the lecturers helpful?
I've heard that roehampton is very disorganized :erm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads