Turn on thread page Beta

Did anyone get average GCSE results then fantastic A/AS Level results? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my GCSE results, 4 A's, 3 B's, and a C, and while they are fantastic to me, they probably seem average on here lol. I want to get straight A's in my AS and A2's, and I was just wondering if anyone got results like mine for GCSE then went on to get fantastic results at AS/A2?
    SARZY! You've made me feel so good now! I got the same results as you (plus I got a U in Food Tehnology... pfff!) at GCSE level and I was ondering if I really had what it takes to go for straight As. It's going to take alot of effort... OH MY GOD! EFFORT! NO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    did anyone with 7A*s and 4As ever get into oxbridge ?
    Is that a joke?

Allow me to re-phrase: are you a joke?

ReputationRep:
    Ryan,

Sorry? Did you even take the trouble to read the rest of the post?
    You are out to antagonise. :rolleyes:

I've gathered that you were pretty dsappointed about your GCSEs (the 7 points dropped out of 80 etc.), when you got them. That is probably what drove you to creating such a vicious post from such a minor matter. :confused: I am also quite irritated that I could not achieve my target, but I suppose, thats life.

Thanks,

Varun

ReputationRep:
    i went from
    BCCCCDDDE

too...

AAA plus 2,1 in STEP

lol from rubbish to brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Amazing... where you going then?

ReputationRep:
    imperial to do physics, but reapplying to oxford, i didnt even get an interview lol, now i have a few 100% in M3 and other modules and that plus some nice step grades to back me up, ill go to imperial and reapply while im there

ReputationRep:
    nice one mate , although oxford may not ask for your UMS, unlike Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I did no work for my GCSEs, hated my teachers, school and most of my classmates. Did a tiny amount of revision. Got 3 Bs and 7 Cs which I was gutted with.

This year I was at a college I like, with teachers I like, and classmates I like. Did a tiny amount of revision(day before) and got AAC for AS.

Wish I'd worked before my GCSEs, I was predicted a bunch of As, gonna look *******s on my uni application.

ReputationRep:
    i got 6 B's and 4 C's at GCSE and then abbc at alevel, not aaaa so dunno if it counts but still well above average and much better than my GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    did anyone with 7A*s and 4As ever get into oxbridge ?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    i've heard of people getting into oxbridge with just C's at GCSE although with the competition so high i wouldnt recomend trying lol

ReputationRep:
    Ryan,

Sorry? Did you even take the trouble to read the rest of the post?
    You are out to antagonise. :rolleyes:

I've gathered that you were pretty dsappointed about your GCSEs (the 7 points dropped out of 80 etc.), when you got them. That is probably what drove you to creating such a vicious post from such a minor matter. :confused: I am also quite irritated that I could not achieve my target, but I suppose, thats life.

Thanks,

Varun
    You have me mistaken. I am, if nothing else, one for upholding the prerogative of those who would bemoan GCSE attainment that is nevertheless, in all objectivity, quite exceptional: mine, being the example which occurs immediately to mind. I apologise for having been curt and perhaps more than a little facetious; however, your query: "did anyone with 7A*s and 4As ever get into oxbridge ?" seemed so grossly and implausibly naïve [your own age and current educational progression notwithstanding] as to tread the final border into obnoxiousness; the addition of a 'sad' smiley serving only to compound that apparent insincerity. In fact, it seems altogether conceivable that you would be flaunting your (objectively rather good) results under a false pretext; even if this is not the case: others do, and have done in the past.

Be wary in future that you yourself do not "antagonise: such flagrantly provocative behaviour is historically the preserve of a malevolent 'forum pest' or 'troll'; and yours may well find itself accordingly (mis)construed.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit it did seem a pretty silly thing to ask; I mean, people have been admitted into Oxbridge with no A*s... Nevertheless I think Vazzyb asked that question under the influence of dissapointment and perhaps in a moment of impulsivity.

P.S. I'm not having a go at you, Vazzyb, I'm trying to sympathise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    however, your query: "did anyone with 7A*s and 4As ever get into oxbridge ?" seemed so grossly and implausibly naïve [your own age and current educational progression notwithstanding] as to tread the final border into obnoxiousness;
    Yes, I gathered that. (maybe not to that extent, but along the same lines) But at the moment of making post I was, just a bit, distraught, having realised that I came 10th in my sixth form. And subsequently, I had made a post telling everyone to ignore what I was saying and pass it off as just a minor period of misjudgement on my behalf.

(Original post by Profesh)
    Be wary in future that you yourself do not "antagonise: such flagrantly provocative behaviour is historically the preserve of a malevolent 'forum pest' or 'troll'; and yours may well find itself accordingly (mis)construed.
    Ah, well there my friend, you have me mistaken. "flagrantly provocative behaviour" - , that post, however stupid the question was, it wasn't that. I don't think I need to worry about becoming into a 'troll' or 'forum pest'

O and yes, implausibly naive to flaunt my grades, does sound like it, doesn't it? lol. No, but trust me, I am the last person to be flaunting my grades.

You could think of it as making a sarcastic comment of distaste at the extremely high academic standards required to gain entry into Oxbridge. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    I have to admit it did seem a pretty silly thing to ask; I mean, people have been admitted into Oxbridge with no A*s... Nevertheless I think Vazzyb asked that question under the influence of dissapointment and perhaps in a moment of impulsivity.

P.S. I'm not having a go at you, Vazzyb, I'm trying to sympathise.
    Yea, I know :p: :yy:

ReputationRep:
    You could think of it as making a sarcastic comment of distaste at the extremely high academic standards required to gain entry into Oxbridge. :yy:
    Then you have the benefit of the doubt.

ReputationRep:
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarzy)
    I've just got my GCSE results, 4 A's, 3 B's, and a C, and while they are fantastic to me, they probably seem average on here lol. I want to get straight A's in my AS and A2's, and I was just wondering if anyone got results like mine for GCSE then went on to get fantastic results at AS/A2?
    I'd say my GCSEs were very average 4 A's 7 B's...I gto 2 A's at AS which I thought was pretty good, A B which was close to an A and a C which was close to a B
    Guess they're average as well really but i see them as an improvement especially as I didn't find the workload and the exams that much harder

6 A's, 3 B's and a C.

AACC, each one being high marks in the grade bracket it is, really near AABB actually.

I think I've stepped up, so you might. But I had to work a lot harder.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.