Turn on thread page Beta

Bias treatment towards OXBRIDGE students at school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    at school the only people to get help with interviews at unis were oxbridge applicants! how unfair is that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebug)
    at school the only people to get help with interviews at unis were oxbridge applicants! how unfair is that!
    Very.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually ask for help though? It may have been available if you wanted it.

Also interview practice probably isn't so necessary for most non-Oxbridge unis as their interviews are more compulsorary open days, although this isn't true across the board.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the case you should complain to your principle/headteacher. In my school that certainly wasn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    At our school we had to ask the teachers for mock interviews. I think only Oxbridge applicants actually asked, although a few medicine may have too. i don't think anyone else actually had an interview but it is unfair if you are denied an interview just because you are not applying for Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Mock interviews are practically useless anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay)
    Mock interviews are practically useless anyway
    but apart from oxbridge and perhaps 1 or 2 more uni's at the very top (even imperial dont ask 4 interview some of the time, quite often", then most uni's dont interview anyway.

and besides, oxbridge interview is a very pivotal factor in the admissions process, more so than the test they do, much more so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebug)

I don't think it is that unfair as people have said, on many other threads, that the interviews are very important and add weight to the chance of receiving a place. Also the majority of other unis don not interview so what would be the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everyguysdream)
    I don't think it is that unfair as people have said, on many other threads, that the interviews are very important and add weight to the chance of receiving a place. Also the majority of other unis don not interview so what would be the point?
    exactly. thats a point that my above post included...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    but apart from oxbridge and perhaps 1 or 2 more uni's at the very top (even imperial dont ask 4 interview some of the time, quite often", then most uni's dont interview anyway.

and besides, oxbridge interview is a very pivotal factor in the admissions process, more so than the test they do, much more so.
    I was offered them and refused them. Doesn't hasn't done me much harm. You certainly don't need it to get in, I felt I'd be better going at it fresh.
    I think I found it more entertaining to try and think up as difficult a questions as possible to ask my fellow applicants. That was probably more useful than an mock interview would have been anyhow.

Having said that everyone at my school had to have a compulsory talk with the headmaster before he wrote his reference, and we did get priority in having that, probably because of the earlier application deadline.

I do think it's wrong that they refuse you if you ask though, just because the location isn't oxbridge doesn't mean the place isn't as important to you as oxbridge is to them.

Alaric.

(Original post by Alaric)
    I was offered them and refused them. Doesn't hasn't done me much harm. You certainly don't need it to get in, I felt I'd be better going at it fresh.
    I think I found it more entertaining to try and think up as difficult a questions as possible to ask my fellow applicants. That was probably more useful than an mock interview would have been anyhow.

Having said that everyone at my school had to have a compulsory talk with the headmaster before he wrote his reference, and we did get priority in having that, probably because of the earlier application deadline.

I do think it's wrong that they refuse you if you ask though, just because the location isn't oxbridge doesn't mean the place isn't as important to you as oxbridge is to them.

Alaric.
    WE all had as many practice interviews as we like irrelevant of where were going, but we were lucky - there was an RAF base down the road that used us for officer training - we were interviewed by someone who was training as an interviewer!
    J

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.