Bias treatment towards OXBRIDGE students at school

Watch
This discussion is closed.
doodlebug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
at school the only people to get help with interviews at unis were oxbridge applicants! how unfair is that!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by doodlebug)
at school the only people to get help with interviews at unis were oxbridge applicants! how unfair is that!
Very.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did you actually ask for help though? It may have been available if you wanted it.

Also interview practice probably isn't so necessary for most non-Oxbridge unis as their interviews are more compulsorary open days, although this isn't true across the board.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If that's the case you should complain to your principle/headteacher. In my school that certainly wasn't the case.
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At our school we had to ask the teachers for mock interviews. I think only Oxbridge applicants actually asked, although a few medicine may have too. i don't think anyone else actually had an interview but it is unfair if you are denied an interview just because you are not applying for Oxbridge.
JayJay
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mock interviews are practically useless anyway
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JayJay)
Mock interviews are practically useless anyway
but apart from oxbridge and perhaps 1 or 2 more uni's at the very top (even imperial dont ask 4 interview some of the time, quite often", then most uni's dont interview anyway.

and besides, oxbridge interview is a very pivotal factor in the admissions process, more so than the test they do, much more so.
everyguysdream
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by doodlebug)

I don't think it is that unfair as people have said, on many other threads, that the interviews are very important and add weight to the chance of receiving a place. Also the majority of other unis don not interview so what would be the point?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by everyguysdream)
I don't think it is that unfair as people have said, on many other threads, that the interviews are very important and add weight to the chance of receiving a place. Also the majority of other unis don not interview so what would be the point?
exactly. thats a point that my above post included...
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
but apart from oxbridge and perhaps 1 or 2 more uni's at the very top (even imperial dont ask 4 interview some of the time, quite often", then most uni's dont interview anyway.

and besides, oxbridge interview is a very pivotal factor in the admissions process, more so than the test they do, much more so.
I was offered them and refused them. Doesn't hasn't done me much harm. You certainly don't need it to get in, I felt I'd be better going at it fresh.
I think I found it more entertaining to try and think up as difficult a questions as possible to ask my fellow applicants. That was probably more useful than an mock interview would have been anyhow.

Having said that everyone at my school had to have a compulsory talk with the headmaster before he wrote his reference, and we did get priority in having that, probably because of the earlier application deadline.

I do think it's wrong that they refuse you if you ask though, just because the location isn't oxbridge doesn't mean the place isn't as important to you as oxbridge is to them.

Alaric.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I was offered them and refused them. Doesn't hasn't done me much harm. You certainly don't need it to get in, I felt I'd be better going at it fresh.
I think I found it more entertaining to try and think up as difficult a questions as possible to ask my fellow applicants. That was probably more useful than an mock interview would have been anyhow.

Having said that everyone at my school had to have a compulsory talk with the headmaster before he wrote his reference, and we did get priority in having that, probably because of the earlier application deadline.

I do think it's wrong that they refuse you if you ask though, just because the location isn't oxbridge doesn't mean the place isn't as important to you as oxbridge is to them.

Alaric.
WE all had as many practice interviews as we like irrelevant of where were going, but we were lucky - there was an RAF base down the road that used us for officer training - we were interviewed by someone who was training as an interviewer!
J
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.79%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (33)
8.57%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (86)
22.34%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (50)
12.99%
No, nothing has changed (116)
30.13%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.18%

Watched Threads