The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs is 'normal'?

Scroll to see replies

i'm doing 20, 5 last year (year 10) 15, this.
Reply 101
I'm taking 10.5 GCSE's & I took an extra one after school last year so I'll have 11.5. (:

I think around 8-10 is the average amount.
*Nods* 10GCSEs probably would be an average I guess...
Im doing 13 GCSE's + latin entry exam +FSMQ Add maths
... most of the girls at my school have 11-12 GCSE's each and we're all encouraged to take extra subjects too after school. On average I would think most have 10-11?
I do 12, most people in our school do 10, from 9 to 12 really. I chose to do latin after school (level 1, so not technically a GCSE) and our school forced everybody in set 1 maths to do level 2 further maths. Remember it is quality, not quantity that counts.
10. For those who did more than that, unless you're going to get at least As in all of them, it was a bad decision
i did 14 but many of my friends did 20+!!! they're all nerds though and do further maths !
Chill man dw im only getting 10 GCSE's 7 thats the same for everyone at my school and few others on other schools in my area.
i'm doing 15 but thats way to many in my opinion - school is making me thought :frown:
I will have done 12 actual GCSEs, 2 Level 2 qualifications, HPQ and Further Maths (which are equivalent to GCSE and similar), and 2 level 3 qualifications ASDAN CofPE and Edexcel Algebra (which are equivalent to A level but are nothing like an A level). I would imagine 10-12 is normal for top sets but lower numbers as you go to lower sets and between schools
My Physics Teacher said that people who do mostly/all foundation tend to do 5-9 and those who tend to do mostly higher do around 8-12, with a few exceptions as there always is.
I'm doing 10 this year, but I did one last year and a BTEC in Year 9, so I'll end up with 11 GCSE's (hopefully!) and a Level 1 BTEC :smile:
I'm doing 11 science×3, english×2 ,maths ,media ,drama, history, Re and french which i'm doing as an extra gcse outside of school because my school only provides ten gcses.
At my school you have to take nine, no more, no less. The only exceptions are certain subjects that are studied outside of school hours and taken a year or two years early - Classical Greek, Astronomy and Drama for instance - and Additional Maths, if you're in top set mathematics by Year Ten. It's to prevent us spreading ourselves too thin.
Original post by C-Pizzayne
All the people I've asked (which isn't a lot, tbh) say they'll be getting around the region for 14 GCSEs (if they pass all of them...which they probably will) and this has started to get me worried because at the moment, I'm doing 12 and there's a chance I may fail 1 or 2 of them (coursework grades will bring me down) so I may end up with 10 or so.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many GCSEs is the average amount that someone has/should have?

I did 9 and 1 BTEC :frown: regret it...got 1 9, 2 8s, 1 7, 3 6s, 2 5s and a double distinction star!!!
Original post by Tabers
I know that its lower than what I did. I think 10 might be about average. I did 13 but that was due to doing a triple science course so I had 4 science GCSE's:core, biology, physics and a chemistry. People thought at first I was lying about the number that I did but I wasnt. It might even be less than 10 not sure.

I have over 13 equivalents, but 13 GCSEs
loads of schools do only 8, i did 11
Original post by C-Pizzayne
All the people I've asked (which isn't a lot, tbh) say they'll be getting around the region for 14 GCSEs (if they pass all of them...which they probably will) and this has started to get me worried because at the moment, I'm doing 12 and there's a chance I may fail 1 or 2 of them (coursework grades will bring me down) so I may end up with 10 or so.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many GCSEs is the average amount that someone has/should have?

I did 11 (most my school offered). I haven’t physically met anyone else that did any more than that. You don’t need to worry about this tbh, it doesn’t matter in the long run
some people have done 12/13 (with further maths, extra languages and environmental management), but normally it is 10/11
Anywhere between 8-15. I did 11, and my bf did 12. Most of my friends did 10, but some did 9 (and some did 9 and only passed 5)
For me, if I pass everything I will get 10 grades back- I'm doing FLE, English lit, Extended maths, additional maths, double award science (which is basically a combination of the 3 sciences for 2 grades), geography, history, French as a foreign language and Chinese as a second language. In my school, I hold the record for most subjects taken in their history of iGCSE- most students from what I see take between 7-9 subjects, with one of my schoolmates taking 5. From what I hear from my friends who are sitting/sat the iGCSEs, they are also only taking 7-9. However, I really think it's up to you and how much you can manage as well, because I know for me, I'm under a lot of pressure because I'm seen as the

Quick Reply

Latest