The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Zakatu
Jumping out of a plane must be the greatest thrill, so i wanna give that a go. as long as it doesn't cost an absolute fortune. Apart from that i'm not sure what i want to join, maybee the badminton one because thats the only sport i'm half good at. :biggrin:

That's the thing, I'd love to do it, but the website said something like £130 a time. (Although you might get 2 jumps). Going to run up a fairly hefty bill before you get your license! and no point joining the society if you're only going to jump once really.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Won't be joining that then! :redface:
Reply 42
1) It's about £170 the first time, all in. For two days traning, transport, accom, insurance and a £1.50 a drink, any drink, bar - 20yards from the accom. Each jump after that is only £17. Your first freefall (jump 6) is on us!

2) Getting your license is expensive. Of those who make the first jump, 0.5% nationally get it in the end. 5% of our club do. But at £17 a time it's not THAT bad...and if you come one the (awesome) skydiving trip to Gap (French Alps) we'll qualify you for the lowest price in Europe.

3) It IS worth joining and doind, even for the one jump. Most people end up doing just one jump. Lots do 1-5, only about 3-5 qualify in the end out of the 80 that join, for many reasons...most often because they only ever wanted to do 1 jump.

321cya!
It would be cool,but i couldnt possibly go up that high.
i would brick myself. speed is my thing, not heights....
Reply 45
brabzzz
1) It's about £170 the first time, all in. For two days traning, transport, accom, insurance and a £1.50 a drink, any drink, bar - 20yards from the accom. Each jump after that is only £17. Your first freefall (jump 6) is on us!

2) Getting your license is expensive. Of those who make the first jump, 0.5% nationally get it in the end. 5% of our club do. But at £17 a time it's not THAT bad...and if you come one the (awesome) skydiving trip to Gap (French Alps) we'll qualify you for the lowest price in Europe.

3) It IS worth joining and doind, even for the one jump. Most people end up doing just one jump. Lots do 1-5, only about 3-5 qualify in the end out of the 80 that join, for many reasons...most often because they only ever wanted to do 1 jump.

321cya!

Ah you see now that's not bad at all, I was under the impression it was 170 quid a time! I'm a lot more interested now, maybe you should make it a bit clearer on the website? (Or maybe I should have read it better :smile: )
Reply 46
Yer, that sounds good. I mean all the training and stuff is gotta cost a bit, but £17 a time after that i thinks good value, considering your going up in a plane and everything :smile:

I will see, i'm enthusiastic now but would i have the guts to actually do it??.... hmmm.
Reply 47
Zakatu
Yer, that sounds good. I mean all the training and stuff is gotta cost a bit, but £17 a time after that i thinks good value, considering your going up in a plane and everything :smile:

I will see, i'm enthusiastic now but would i have the guts to actually do it??.... hmmm.

Same here, it's all very well saying i'll do it now but sitting on the edge of the plane looking down is a whole other kettle of fish :smile:

Brabzz are these all solo jumps then? The first 6 with a fixed line and the 7th freefall? Not sure I like the responsibility of pulling my own cord... might forget if i'm enjoying it too much! :P
Hmm..so many to choose from. Im tempted by the St John Ambulance one..and the chocolate one.But still..so many more to choose from.
Reply 49
Wowbagger
Same here, it's all very well saying i'll do it now but sitting on the edge of the plane looking down is a whole other kettle of fish :smile:

Brabzz are these all solo jumps then? The first 6 with a fixed line and the 7th freefall? Not sure I like the responsibility of pulling my own cord... might forget if i'm enjoying it too much! :P

Yep, they're all solo! First ~5 are static line (as in the films....kinda).

Jump 'task'

1 Get out, stable and in the correct position. Land.
2 Get out, stable and in the correct position. Land.
3 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
4 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
5 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
6 As above, but now it's a real handle and no 'static line' - 3 secs ff.

After that, the freefalls get longer and they start to incorporate turns, manovers and funky stuff like unstable (front-roll) exits. Until you complete the previous stages -perfectly- you don't progress. If you do it all perfectly (and many do), jump 6 is 'first freefall' (on us, but it's tradition to buy the whole dropzone bar a beer - it's that big an achievment!). Jump 18 is the qualifying jump (again, you buy the beer). At that point you can go anywhere in the world, hire a parachute (a fiver or so) and jump. Solo!!! :biggrin: You'd be one of only a handful of people in the UK to be able to do that...which is pretty damn cool.

After that it only gets better...formations, freefly, wingsuit etc. There's nothing quiet like getting a few mates, jumping out at sunset together and just dicking around/grabbing onto each other/'throwing' people around in freefall! or jumping with an airbed/rubber raft or soaring over valleys/lakes with a wingsuit.

And believe it or not, after 75 jumps or so, you'll look back at the first few and wish that 'sh*ttin a brick' factor was still there!
Reply 50
brabzzz
Yep, they're all solo! First ~5 are static line (as in the films....kinda).

Jump 'task'

1 Get out, stable and in the correct position. Land.
2 Get out, stable and in the correct position. Land.
3 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
4 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
5 As above, but deploy a dummy 'handle' (ie pretend to open it)
6 As above, but now it's a real handle and no 'static line' - 3 secs ff.

After that, the freefalls get longer and they start to incorporate turns, manovers and funky stuff like unstable (front-roll) exits. Until you complete the previous stages -perfectly- you don't progress. If you do it all perfectly (and many do), jump 6 is 'first freefall' (on us, but it's tradition to buy the whole dropzone bar a beer - it's that big an achievment!). Jump 18 is the qualifying jump (again, you buy the beer). At that point you can go anywhere in the world, hire a parachute (a fiver or so) and jump. Solo!!! :biggrin: You'd be one of only a handful of people in the UK to be able to do that...which is pretty damn cool.

After that it only gets better...formations, freefly, wingsuit etc. There's nothing quiet like getting a few mates, jumping out at sunset together and just dicking around/grabbing onto each other/'throwing' people around in freefall! or jumping with an airbed/rubber raft or soaring over valleys/lakes with a wingsuit.

And believe it or not, after 75 jumps or so, you'll look back at the first few and wish that 'sh*ttin a brick' factor was still there!

Basically, i'm joining. Want my money now? :smile:

The wingsuit thing is basically my ultimate dream. Coolest. Thing. Ever. Closest to flying you're gonna get until we're at the matrix level of technology.

On their first jump. do people have trouble landing in the right place given they're controlling their chute all by themselves?

Are you going to be involved with the society this year now that you've left uni?

...Now all I have to worry about is vertigo....
I think i am tempted by the all you cane at society haha. Nah id perhaps like to join the following, poker soc (tho cud prove expensive, cheerleading id love to try but wud be embaresed im not gud enuf, the massage society wud be a gud thing to learn, and ballroom dancing wud be fun, plus is a bargain at 20 quid for the whole yr including tuition.
Reply 52
I'm joining the OTC... so I dunno what else I can join due to how much time that takes up and playing sports that don't have Uni teams (Rugby Fives with the West of England Club, possibly playing Real Tennis in the B&BTC). I imagine that the OTC do their fair share of parachuting though...

Also - is there not a game of assassins running?
Reply 53
Wowbagger
Basically, i'm joining. Want my money now? :smile:
The wingsuit thing is basically my ultimate dream. Coolest. Thing. Ever. Closest to flying you're gonna get until we're at the matrix level of technology.
On their first jump. do people have trouble landing in the right place given they're controlling their chute all by themselves?
Are you going to be involved with the society this year now that you've left uni?
...Now all I have to worry about is vertigo....

lol, money can wait until Freshers!

The parachute is fully controllable and until qualification, you'll have a radio and they'll guide you down if you get stuck!

I'll definitiely stay invloved....including the 3hr trip from London to the dropzone! It's more of a liftstyle than a sport, if you really enjoy it.
SO MANY societies I want to join but I'm really worried about overdoing it and not having any spare time at all! I want to check out the capoeira society, Spotlights, Dance soc, International Affairs, Jazz Funk Soul/Rocksoc, Stop AIDS Society, STAR..... and who knows, maybe I'll go to some lectures, too!

How in the world do you organise your time effectively at uni when there are so many opportunities?!
hippydippychick
SO MANY societies I want to join but I'm really worried about overdoing it and not having any spare time at all! I want to check out the capoeira society, Spotlights, Dance soc, International Affairs, Jazz Funk Soul/Rocksoc, Stop AIDS Society, STAR..... and who knows, maybe I'll go to some lectures, too!

How in the world do you organise your time effectively at uni when there are so many opportunities?!

I plan on giving up spending excessive amounts of time laying in bed and watching TV, which effectively doubles the amount of time I have in a week! I'm waiting until after the first few weeks of lectures before joining any societies so I know how much free time I'll have.
magicalmonkey21
I'm waiting until after the first few weeks of lectures before joining any societies so I know how much free time I'll have.

Sensible human being, this one!!

Latest

Trending

Trending