The Student Room Group

Is an A grade in A2 General Studies an indicator of 'general' intelligence?

Poll

Is General Studies a waste of time?

I heard from lots of people that General Studies is a waste of time, however, having done it myself I have noticed:

It only takes up 1 hour per week of my timetable.

I can get into Sheffield and Liverpool (two red-brick universities) to study what is largely considered a 'competitive' subject (Law) with General Studies included in my offer of 3 As.

How can it be a waste of time?

I have also heard that people can use General Studies as leverage if they fail to meet an offer set by a university which excludes general studies

In addition, I have read that a high grade in A-level general studies correlates with good degree honours.

Why do people still hold general studies as 'a waste of time' and 'pathetic' ?

** Note: By no means am I suggesting it as a 3rd A-level, but as a fourth, in addition to 3 solid A-levels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jakko247

In addition, I have read that a high grade in A-level general studies correlates with good degree honours.

Why do people still hold general studies as 'a waste of time' and 'pathetic' ?

Because most people either don't show up to the classes and/or do no revision at all for the General Studies exams and walk out with A grades. Most schools teach it in one lesson a week, so it's obviously not as important, hard or intellectually challenging as other A-level subjects that normally have five or six lessons dedicated to them per week.

The fact that it is compulsory in many schools shows that it is easy, because if students fail to pass other A-levels, the school's figures can be maintained. Schools boast statistics like '90% of our students passed at least three of their A-levels with C grades and above', but the subjects that were passed in are not mentioned, so every student could have only passed two out of the three of their chosen A-levels but passed General Studies, so the school doesn't look bad. Because General Studies is so easy, it can boost schools' figures when otherwise the figures would have been a lot worse.

Most universities will not include General Studies in an offer, so many view at as a waste of time because it won't help them get to where they want. Although some universities accept General Studies, most of them do not and the time spent on classes and revision for a subject that is not going to help many people at all would be better spent on working for other subjects that they need for university admission.
Reply 2
An A in General Studies is a good indication you are not in a coma.
Reply 3
I would say that since you can't really revise for it, it does measure one kind of innate intelligence. Hard work by itself probably won't get you through, but a certain type of intelligence is shown by it.
Reply 4
I hate General Studies. UCL put it in my offer though, so I had to take the exam slightly seriously. I got a B overall after we did both modules in January. I don't think it's a measure of intelligence. Perhaps it's a measure of how many newspapers you read/how often you watch the news/how good your general knowledge is.
Reply 5
Duckzilla
Because most people either don't show up to the classes and/or do no revision at all for the General Studies exams and walk out with A grades. Most schools teach it in one lesson a week, so it's obviously not as important, hard or intellectually challenging as other A-level subjects that normally have five or six lessons dedicated to them per week.

The fact that it is compulsory in many schools shows that it is easy, because if students fail to pass other A-levels, the school's figures can be maintained. Schools boast statistics like '90% of our students passed at least three of their A-levels with C grades and above', but the subjects that were passed in are not mentioned, so every student could have only passed two out of the three of their chosen A-levels but passed General Studies, so the school doesn't look bad. Because General Studies is so easy, it can boost schools' figures when otherwise the figures would have been a lot worse.

Most universities will not include General Studies in an offer, so many view at as a waste of time because it won't help them get to where they want. Although some universities accept General Studies, most of them do not and the time spent on classes and revision for a subject that is not going to help many people at all would be better spent on working for other subjects that they need for university admission.

Actually, most of them do. 85% of HE institutions accept General Studies.
Reply 6
Jakko247
Actually, most of them do. 85% of HE institutions accept General Studies.

Where is this statistic from? Also, you haven't talked about any of the other stuff I've said.
I enjoyed the general studies exam :smile: My dad was telling me when he did it (1970s) there was a compulsory foreign language comprehension section - you could choose from French, German, Latin etc but could not get an overall A/B grade if you skipped the section or scored lowly on it. Sounds like it used to be a more challenging exam.
Reply 8
I got a U in AS GS.
epic!
Reply 9
we don't have general at our school. instead we have critical thinking which is stupidly easy. i think gen/crit are just waste of subjects tbh
Reply 10
Duckzilla
Where is this statistic from? Also, you haven't talked about any of the other stuff I've said.

'Over 85% of all HE institutions accept General Studies as an entry qualification along with other subjects. (Result of survey in Hampshire of all UK Universities’ Admissions Tutors)

It is a good indicator of self study ability as it is generally accepted by HE institutions that there is a distinct correlation between the grade obtained in General Studies A level and the final degree grade.

Most HE institutions, including medical schools, regard it as a reliable indicator of all round intellectual ability.'

http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/sixthform/courses/advanced/generalstudies.php

Because the entire wall of text was so pathetic, I deemed it unworthy of anymore than 30 seconds of my attention. However, since you asked so specifically, I will deal with some of your concerns.

Statistically speaking, General Studies is harder to pass than any other subject excluding maths and science based subjects.

'Because most people either don't show up to the classes and/or do no revision at all for the General Studies exams and walk out with A grades.'

Clearly, that's not the case. I was the only person in my class last year to get an A at AS. It also cannot be the case because of the way the exam board marking system works. It is impossible for X percentage of people to get an A because only the top X percentage of students are 'allowed' get A grades.
Reply 11
if everyone put equal amounts of effort in, maybe. i repeat: maybe.

but alot of people i know left out essay questions worth 20+ marks etc, because they were trying to delay mental exhaustion due to having exams in the afternoon or wanting to revise for exams the next day and so on and so forth.
I agree; if good universities accept it as part of an offer, how can it be a waste of time, even if it is easy? :s-smilie:
Looking at a past paper, it's just ******** and frankly a waste of time.
Reply 14
im so academic
Looking at a past paper, it's just ******** and frankly a waste of time.

You cited an out of date paper; the specification has been renewed since then.

Example of a question, though be aware that every module has a different format.

'The answer to continued high crime rates is to give more power to the police.'

To what extent do you agree with this statement?
(40 marks)
Reply 15
I only voted yes because the poll question and thread question are not the same. :hmmm:

Duckzilla
Because most people either don't show up to the classes and/or do no revision at all for the General Studies exams and walk out with A grades.

Some people get A grades. The vast majority of people taking general studies (about 90%) do not, making it one of the lowest-grading A levels.

Most schools teach it in one lesson a week, so it's obviously not as important, hard or intellectually challenging as other A-level subjects that normally have five or six lessons dedicated to them per week.

Its not requiring as much teaching time does not make it obviously any of the things you describe; it merely shows that it's not a subject you can just teach people to do well in.

I'm totally unconvinced by this argument, primarily because general studies has one of the lowest A, A-B and A-C pass rates among A level subjects. If schools do use general studies cynically, it's more likely to boost their ranking in tables that rank by total point score. Because it doesn't need much teaching time, the school can boost its ranking with little effort on its own part even, if students do badly in it.
The reason it appears harder to get an A is because noone takes it seriously, nobody I know that does it even remotely tries in it. It's one of those subjects that a lot of people could take, without EVER going to a lesson or anything and still get a good grade in.

It's not completely useless, but it's worth reduces greatly if you start aiming for better universitys.
Jakko247
'Over 85% of all HE institutions accept General Studies as an entry qualification along with other subjects. (Result of survey in Hampshire of all UK Universities’ Admissions Tutors)

It is a good indicator of self study ability as it is generally accepted by HE institutions that there is a distinct correlation between the grade obtained in General Studies A level and the final degree grade.

Most HE institutions, including medical schools, regard it as a reliable indicator of all round intellectual ability.'

http://www.altoncollege.ac.uk/sixthform/courses/advanced/generalstudies.php

Because the entire wall of text was so pathetic, I deemed it unworthy of anymore than 30 seconds of my attention. However, since you asked so specifically, I will deal with some of your concerns.

Statistically speaking, General Studies is harder to pass than any other subject excluding maths and science based subjects.

'Because most people either don't show up to the classes and/or do no revision at all for the General Studies exams and walk out with A grades.'

Clearly, that's not the case. I was the only person in my class last year to get an A at AS. It also cannot be the case because of the way the exam board marking system works. It is impossible for X percentage of people to get an A because only the top X percentage of students are 'allowed' get A grades.

"In recent years there has been a revolution in the way people have access to music. Discuss what impact this has had on the listening preferences of young people."

This is a question from a specimen General Studies exam. How can you say that that kind of question is indicative of intellectual ability?

"Assess the effect the media’s obsession with the cult of celebrity has on the political life of the United Kingdom."

"The author’s feelings on first reading Lolita (paragraph 1) were
A ambiguous.
B unequivocal.
C negative.
D positive."

All common sense questions above, that show no intellectual ability at all, other than be able to read the article they give you in the paper, and/or having been alive for the last 16-18 years.
Reply 18
I did both AS modules in January and got 192/200 after doing absolutely no preparation for the exam. Several of my friends got 200/200 without doing any preparation, one of these friends wrote about star trek and communism which had absolutely nothing to do with the exam. Most of the people who do bad (eg below Cs) get those grades because they don't care about general studies and write poems/draw wizards in the exams. Actually, the boy who drew wizards and wrote poems alongside his answers scored a B grade.
Reply 19
paddy__power
The reason it appears harder to get an A is because noone takes it seriously, nobody I know that does it even remotely tries in it. It's one of those subjects that a lot of people could take, without EVER going to a lesson or anything and still get a good grade in.

It's not completely useless, but it's worth reduces greatly if you start aiming for better universitys.

I actually think the higher universities expect it

Latest