The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They'll ask you for the three-point turn.
Reply 2
thats not a definite Ramsy...they can ask you any 3 of the 5 manouevres..
Reply 3
LondonBoy
Which ones will they definetly ask you to do? and also if you mess up will i be a minor/ or a major fault? hit the kerb? position wrongly etc?

than\ks

and hitting the curb is a major so you will fail automatically. you can take your time and ask to redo it though.
Reply 4
They'll always ask you to do a parking one. Where I am its usually reverse parking but not sure about you. I got turn in road and revese park in my first test and reverse rounds a corner and reverse park in my second. They'll also ask you to do an emergency stop if its safe.

If you hit the kurb its generally a minor, if you go on it its a major. I think bad positioning would usually be a minor unless its really bad.

Good luck! It wont be as nerve racking as you think.
Reply 5
you should ask your driving instructor of anything you're unclear of.
There are no manouevers that they will definately ask you to do but, from memory, you should expect 3.

The most likely is bay parking, turn in the road, reserve round corner. You probably won't get an emergency stop. It's unlikely you'll get asked to parallel park - but then again anything's possible!

If you mess up a manouevere then don't worry. Just keep calm. The main thing they're looking for is control. If a manouevere doesn't go as planned then, if you can, be controlled and restart.

If you hit the kurb on a reverse round corner or turn in the road then it can be enough to fail. Similarly make sure you do all the required observations - look left, right, check for pedestrians etc.

Hope this helps - and good luck :smile:
According to the BBC's Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre programme, one third of people taking their tests are asked to do an emergency stop.
Reply 8
Just remember its not like a school exam, where you can dodge particular parts.

Its good to be tested on everything, after all you are learning to drive!
Reply 9
Well check whether your test centre has a bay parking place...otherwise obviously they can't ask you to do that :wink:. Mine doesn't, for example.

The others are reverse around the corner, parallel parking, turn in the road (3pt), and emergency stop. I would say reverse around the corner, turn in the road and parallel parking are probably the most common. I hate, I really hate parallel parking. Evil!

And you can get failed on bad observation - like I did. So look around you while you're doing the manoevre :wink:
Reply 10
Minors flee your way - 3 in a row and your stricken as a major.

3 point turn
Reverse round bend
reverse park
Emergency Stop
Reverse in to Car Park Space

are any of the 5 manouvres.

Good luck - and don't upset the examiner :rolleyes: or your never going to pass even if you have done well; cantankerous sods.
Reply 11
Iv taken 4 tests so im quite experienced :biggrin:

Reverse round a corner, bay parking, three point turn or parellel parking are the main four, then you may have an emergency stop, and perhaps a hill start!

It really depends on the examiner, as some let you off with more than others. If you were to hit the kerb, and your examiner was nice, they may let you have another try!

Dont worry, if you fail you can always retake! JUST DONT SPEED!!!
Reply 12
If your test centre has bay parking then you may be asked to do that. If it doesn't, it will be 2 out of Parallel parking (onto the left side of a road), Reverse round the corner or 3-point turn. You may also be asked to do an emergency stop and a hill start.

You won't automatically fail if you scrape the kerb but if you bang into it then you probaly will. If you do bang into it though, don't panic and try it again - you may get away with it.
i kinda clipped the curb when pulling in and because i didn`t mount it i only got a minor, like others have said you normally do bay park if your test centrew has it and you tend to do either bay or paralle the n either turn in the road or reverse around the corner
Reply 14
My understanding of the 3 point turn was that you could do it in as many turns as you felt was necessary? Provided you stay in control and are aware of your environment etc.
Reply 15
yes, thats why its actually called a turn in the road, not a three point turn.
Reply 16
I did my driving test the other day, and got asked

Emergency Stop
Reverse round a corner
Reverse Bay Park

oh and I didnt pass :frown: 6 minor faults and 1 major (being in left hand side of road on 1 way street when turning right :frown:)
Reply 17
they ask you two manouevers. One parking (bay or parallel) and either turn in the road or reverse round the corner. if there isn't anyone else doing a driving test the same time as you it is more likely you'll be asked to do bay parking. it saves the examiner finding a space when driving around to do parallel park.
Reply 18
http://www.2pass.co.uk - all the information you require.

There are four manoevres: turn in the road, bay parking, parallel parking and reverse round a corner.

You will be asked to do two of these, no more and no less. If your test centre has parking bays, you will do bay parking either at the start, or at the end of your test. You will do one of the remaining three during the test.

One in three tests require an emergency stop to be carried out. This isn't counted as one of the manouvres.
Reply 19
Ok so many people here are misinformed!

Four manoevres: turn in road, bay parking, parallel and reverse round corner.
As N9ne said, you will be asked to do two. It can be any two, you won't definately get a parking one, even if your test centre has bays. Mine did and on my test I got a turn in road and a reverse round corner.

And as N9ne also said, one in three people get an emergancy stop, which is in addition to the 2 manouvers