Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did you come out of any of your exams this year realising that you had made a STUPID mistake?

It happened to me twice. One was in my C2 exam where I started checking an answer with my calculator in the wrong mode (radians) and I crossed out the correct answer :rolleyes:

Also, in my chemistry practical exam, for some unknown reason I wrote the Mr of water as 33 (WHAT!? :eek: ), and so my final calculation was wrong

ReputationRep:
    thank god for 'error carried forward'

ReputationRep:
    I know! I think if it hadn't been for carry through marks I would have done terribly in my chemistry practical!

ReputationRep:
    Though coming out of exams I can only ever remember the bits that I know I got wrong which I shouldnt have. Even if they are worth just a couple of marks I will still think I've failed. Im sure the rest of the paper you did absolutely fine and its just that question you got wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Well I got 113/120 overall for the HFHF exam and the experimental skills. So It can't have done that much damage :P

ReputationRep:
    In my AS chemistry exam I had a mental block as to how to test with -OH ions... I ended up with something pretty interesting to do with copper sulphate...

Can anyone say litmus paper??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    Did you come out of any of your exams this year realising that you had made a STUPID mistake?

It happened to me twice. One was in my C2 exam where I started checking an answer with my calculator in the wrong mode (radians) and I crossed out the correct answer :rolleyes:

Also, in my chemistry practical exam, for some unknown reason I wrote the Mr of water as 33 (WHAT!? :eek: ), and so my final calculation was wrong
    No, I went into a C2 exam, I thought, "why didn't I look at the Binomial Theorem properly?"

ReputationRep:
    Why not litmus paper? It tests for alkalis???
    You can use copper sulphate can't you? If you know all the colours of the transition metal ions. (Guess what, I've forgotten all of this useful information now.)

ReputationRep:
    I once, rounded my answer for 37.55 to 37.5 and lost a mark!
    (EdExcel GCSE Maths 2005 Paper 6)

ReputationRep:
    In my Othello English exam, I thought the extract given was from a certain part in the play, when it wasn't! I got it wrong! But thankfully I'd not written THAT much before I realised,and went to change it

ReputationRep:
    I misread the instructions on my French Literature exam and wrote 2 essays of under 200 words when they wanted a minimum of 200 :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    I misread the instructions on my French Literature exam and wrote 2 essays of under 200 words when they wanted a minimum of 200 :bawling:
    oh poor you :eek: *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    I once, rounded my answer for 37.55 to 37.5 and lost a mark!
    (EdExcel GCSE Maths 2005 Paper 6)
    obviously it supposed to round off to 37.6 hope ur not doin A level Maths lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    Why not litmus paper? It tests for alkalis???
    You can use copper sulphate can't you? If you know all the colours of the transition metal ions. (Guess what, I've forgotten all of this useful information now.)
    Hehe that's the point

OH ions = alkali

Therefore litmus... universal indicator... hell i could have used red cabbage!!

But no... it didn't click... so I started thinking of something that would react with the OH ions to make CuOH and hence change colour

ReputationRep:
    I always make mistakes with Maths, i.e. forgetting to add the constant when integrating. I also make mistakes which I am not aware of, even when I run through my paper! :eek: Occasionally I realise I've made a mistake and I think to my self that I've probably made quite a lot

ReputationRep:
    In my English Literature exam, I compared two poems that now I regret since I had studied another poem a lot more and the poem I used in the exam I was not familiar with. I think I should have done "Presents from my Aunt in Pakistan" from the Anthology, but instead I used the hurricaine one (which we did not learn very well at all!) But taking English Literature for A level, I am going to try a lot harder than I did in GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    same here, apparently, according to my flawless logic, 5/2 = 3.

ReputationRep:
    I used the wrong source in a history exam . . . and wrote this long essay comparing it that was in the mock though :p:

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.