FenderCal90
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello, I'm currently in my first year at Sheffield Hallam University on their English course. I've been thinking about trying to do an MA at a Russell Group university but would they actually take someone on from an old poly? The entry requirements I've seen just say 'upper second humanities degree' but I'm sure they're competitive. I think I could've got into a better Uni if I'd worked harder/not had glandular fever in the run upto and including the A Level period and I want to prove to myself that I can get into an institution like that.

Sorry this is all a bit impetuous and rambling, cheers for reading, I know I've got plenty of time to think about what I do, just thought I'd float the idea now.
infernalcradle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you get a 1st and a good reference, there is absolutly no reason you would be able to apply to oxbridge for a masters...let alone russell group...get a 2:1....and its suddenly a hell of a lot harder
FenderCal90
Ah OK thank you for the prompt response. Head down then
tigermoth99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have the cash, graduate with a good degree and have decent references/personal statement, anything is possible.
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tigermoth99)
If you have the cash, graduate with a good degree and have decent references/personal statement, anything is possible.
What's wrong with the AHRC?!
FenderCal90
(Original post by the_alba)
I think he was implying I ought to buy my way in :p:
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FenderCal90)
I think he was implying I ought to buy my way in :p:
Eh now. Prestige isn't something you should be overly concerned about, and as a graduate you should choose somewhere best suited to your interests. If that somewhere happens to be Oxford (say) there'll be nothing stopping you, provided you get a strong (ideally First class) degree and some glittering references. Sheffield Hallam is grand for English.
hobnob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm, how about you can't count on it?:erm:
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Erm, how about you can't count on it?:erm:
Sure, but if counting on it is your only option, you don't need to already 'have the cash'. If you see what I mean.
hobnob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sure, but if counting on it is your only option, you don't need to already 'have the cash'. If you see what I mean.
But if counting on the AHRC is your only option, then tigermoth's 'anything is possible' scenario doesn't really apply, does it?:confused:
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
But if counting on the AHRC is your only option, then tigermoth's 'anything is possible' scenario doesn't really apply, does it?:confused:
His 'if you have the cash [plus a good degree and references] anything is possible' is wrong and potentially off-putting to anyone who has the latter two things but not the former. You don't need to have the cash for anything to be possible in this case: you need a strong degree, strong references, and strong proposal, and a little bit of luck with your AHRC bid.
ziggycj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have a 1st and good references then how much do alevels matter when applying to a top uni? Does it differ in how much it matters for PGCEs compared with MA?

And are any unis snobby about where you did your first degree?

Thanks
FenderCal90
Eh now. Prestige isn't something you should be overly concerned about, and as a graduate you should choose somewhere best suited to your interests. If that somewhere happens to be Oxford (say) there'll be nothing stopping you, provided you get a strong (ideally First class) degree and some glittering references. Sheffield Hallam is grand for English.
It's great to hear somebody say that, I think it's a cracking little course, with some great tutors and it gets an unfair slating just for not being a red brick.

I'm not too concerned about prestige, I know I'm not capable of Oxford or Cambridge, I'd just like to prove to myself that I can get myself up there, I'm kinda setting a Russ group as a target in my head. Saying that though I'll be mighty pleased if I get a first anyway. It's all a while away yet though.

Cheers for the advice.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ziggycj)
If you have a 1st and good references then how much do alevels matter when applying to a top uni? Does it differ in how much it matters for PGCEs compared with MA?

And are any unis snobby about where you did your first degree?

Thanks
I didn't even mention A-levels on my Master's applications. They don't matter in the slightest - concentrate on your degree transcripts.
invictus_veritas
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally I remain sceptical about your chances of getting into the most elite universities even with a first and amazing references, but you should be fine getting into the vast majority of Russell Group universities with a good 2:1 coupled with decent references and for the less prestigious perhaps even with a less good 2:1 and less good references.

Good luck
Dann
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by invictus_veritas)
Personally I remain sceptical about your chances of getting into the most elite universities even with a first and amazing references, but you should be fine getting into the vast majority of Russell Group universities with a good 2:1 coupled with decent references and for the less prestigious perhaps even with a less good 2:1 and less good references.

Good luck
This is wrong.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by invictus_veritas)
Personally I remain sceptical about your chances of getting into the most elite universities even with a first and amazing references
This is based on what?

As Dann said: it's wrong
ziggycj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't even mention A-levels on my Master's applications. They don't matter in the slightest - concentrate on your degree transcripts.
Thanks,

where did you apply to? and where from?
Byllie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know someone who got a 2:2 from leeds and went to cambridge, go figure
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ziggycj)
Thanks,

where did you apply to? and where from?
I applied to Oxford, York, and Glasgow, and chose Oxford. I did my first degree at Hull.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (443)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.64%

Watched Threads