AQA AS Sociology: Education & Research Methods revision thread

Watch
Kate5tar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
A little thread for everyone doing the AS Sociology paper on June 8th on Education and Research Methods.

Does anyone know any good revision links? We're using the AQA endorsed textbook but quite frankly when it comes to research methods this thing is useless.
millie_d
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Have you been told any likey topics which may come up for the paper?
I'm extremely worried about this paper, especially the methods, i dont seem to understand them at all. I'm also repeating unit 1 as i got a B grade, i feel ill be getting and E in this paper . . .
miss_snm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by millie_d)
Have you been told any likey topics which may come up for the paper?
I'm extremely worried about this paper, especially the methods, i dont seem to understand them at all. I'm also repeating unit 1 as i got a B grade, i feel ill be getting and E in this paper . . .
I feel the exact same way, i'm way more prepared for the Education paper but I'm finding the Methods in Context hard.
The AS level Sociology book we're using doesn't help much with Methods.
I'm worried.
millie_d
Report 10 years ago
would you have any notes on any methods or any essays? i honestly have nothing, and i think i need to start learning them soon!!
hardz21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lasuil)
A little thread for everyone doing the AS Sociology paper on June 8th on Education and Research Methods.

Does anyone know any good revision links? We're using the AQA endorsed textbook but quite frankly when it comes to research methods this thing is useless.
How the hell do you write essays for these things.

For the past year, since ive done sociology, ive got straight A's, throughout mocks and everything. Family i got an A in the mock last week, education adn research methods, i got an E. I dont understand... in all me essays handed in, i have never recieved anything below a C. An E was horrific... its because of the research methods, i just dont understand how to do the essays for this ?!?!

Please help someone.
millie_d
Report 10 years ago
oh god, ill be the same!! i just dont get them at all
loves2spooge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We use P.E.R.V.E.R.T for research method essays:

-Practical Issues - Time, Cost, Access etc
- Ethical Issues - Informed Consent, are children involved etc..
- Reliability
- Validity
- Example - not too sure on this one, i think you make up a situation where the method would be good?
- Representativeness
- Theoretical Issues - Positivist/Interpretivist views

Just structure your essay like this and you should be fine, but in the methods in context(education) question always try to link strengths and weaknesses to the particular area e.g Time - Teachers are really busy due to timetables, lesson planning etc

Good luck everyone on exam day
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
(Original post by loves2spooge)
We use P.E.R.V.E.R.T for research method essays:

-Practical Issues - Time, Cost, Access etc
- Ethical Issues - Informed Consent, are children involved etc..
- Reliability
- Validity
- Example - not too sure on this one, i think you make up a situation where the method would be good?
- Representativeness
- Theoretical Issues - Positivist/Interpretivist views

Just structure your essay like this and you should be fine, but in the methods in context(education) question always try to link strengths and weaknesses to the particular area e.g Time - Teachers are really busy due to timetables, lesson planning etc

Good luck everyone on exam day
that's good advice...we've been taught PET, Practical, Ethical and Theoretical issues but that PERVERT thing is much better, ty!

And I agree that this half of the exam is much harder...I also got an A on the families and Households exam yet got an E overall on my Education/research methods mock even though I thought it went alright
hardz21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lasuil)
that's good advice...we've been taught PET, Practical, Ethical and Theoretical issues but that PERVERT thing is much better, ty!

And I agree that this half of the exam is much harder...I also got an A on the families and Households exam yet got an E overall on my Education/research methods mock even though I thought it went alright
OMFG THAT THE SAME AS ME. i got an A in family (which i didnt expect) and then an E in education/research methods mock. Ive never got anything below a B in sociolog (maybe 2 C's in a few crappy 12 mark essays) but nothing big like a mock. I just find research methods is letting me down.
rissa14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aw we Use RRVPET:
Reliability, Representativeness, Validity, Practical, Ethical, and Theory

The Intro should have 3 main points, defining the term/method, who prefers to use it and why (positivist/interpretevist) and then a link sentence so saying i am going to look at whatever method by using reliability...etc etc

Then the main - assuming it's a strenghts and weaknessed essay, you just start with the strengths, then the weaknesses. Use studies that use this method to back it up.

The conclusion, i'm never all that sure, but i think you just sum up what you've already put, and then talk again about who prefers it and why, who doesn't like it, and what feminists think (e.g it's malestream/ignores women).

And thats it

Anyone know anything about education??? I'm retaking as i got an E last year because i just had a complete blank, but now i just don't remember anything about education!
My teacher says W/C under achievement or social policy are likely to come up. I don't remember the social policy!!! aaaa!! lol

Good luck everyone!!! xxxx
Jodly.X
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We havent been told about how any of the concepts/ theories match up with the methodology and research methods.
Scott1992
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the education part of this is easy, and research methods on its own isnt too bad, it's just the Methods in context which get me.. in 2 essays ive had a D and E on these, whereas in everything else I've had A's.. arghh!
rissa14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jodly.X)
We havent been told about how any of the concepts/ theories match up with the methodology and research methods.
Well Positivism is all about quantitative and scientific data. So they tend to prefer methods such as questionnaires, surveys and experiments. Things that can be put into graphs and then look for trends/patterns, cause-effect ect to make generalisations and form laws of human behaviour. Basically they like everything scientific and controlled.

I'm in a rush out so i'll put on Interpretevists (The other theorists) When i get back.

BTW Positivists most famously are functionalists.. just thought that might help maybe..
hisofi
Report 10 years ago
In a methods in context essay, as far as I'm aware, youre given the sociology part e.g labelling and then then the method such as interviews.
You structure the essay by introducing the method e.g interview is a interpretivist approach/bottom up etc
Then explaining what labelling is, and the effects this has e.g self fulfilling prophecy

You then evaulate positives and negatives of the method and refer back to the soicology term for example, 'in an interview, one must access the relability of the results as teachers may be unaware of their own predujices'

You can then suggest a better alternative like; a observational study may be more useful for studying labelling because it allows you to study teachers in their own environment, especially if it is covert then the results will not be a result of hawthorne effect' then you give an example of a observational study.. and give other reasons why that might be a more appropriate

I think!
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
we've learned them as Structuralists/Free-will, rather than positivists and interpretevists
c101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hardz21)
How the hell do you write essays for these things.

For the past year, since ive done sociology, ive got straight A's, throughout mocks and everything. Family i got an A in the mock last week, education adn research methods, i got an E. I dont understand... in all me essays handed in, i have never recieved anything below a C. An E was horrific... its because of the research methods, i just dont understand how to do the essays for this ?!?!

Please help someone.

I did this exam last year.

The thing with research methods is in your essay you look at both advantages and disadvantages. Use case studies/experiments done in real life as evidence and sociologists to back up claim. Evaluvation is important- like whos perspective are we looking through- positivists or interpretavists (sp?)- Then conclude by making judgement on whatever question is asking.
Is there anything specific I could help you with?
ghast
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by c101)
I did this exam last year.

The thing with research methods is in your essay you look at both advantages and disadvantages. Use case studies/experiments done in real life as evidence and sociologists to back up claim. Evaluvation is important- like whos perspective are we looking through- positivists or interpretavists (sp?)- Then conclude by making judgement on whatever question is asking.
Is there anything specific I could help you with?
What Grade/UMS did you get?
c101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ghast)
What Grade/UMS did you get?
120/120= A
ghast
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by c101)
120/120= A
:congrats:
Jollly
Report 10 years ago
I am dreading this exam, I find methods in context really difficult and I always mess, up as I don't know what to include :s
Wow congrats on the 120/120
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
17.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (31)
45.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
17.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads