What happens if you get caught at 70MPH on a motorway as a R driver? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Conor C
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What are the pelnties for doing 70MPH on the motorway as a restricted driver?
Radgebanter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
70 is the speed limit so you'd need to do in excess...
ChrisBan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whats a restricted driver... is it something they have in N.Ireland? I saw it on traffic cops on BBC a few months back where a guy didn't display his R plates and was speeding over the R limit. He got 3 points and a fine
Kerbing
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
3 points and a £60 fine.
Should've been more careful, traffic cop cars are handy enough to tell

Extra 3 points for each Plate not displayed.

@Non-NIers:

'R' Plates are a red 'R' on a white background that has to be displayed on both back and front windows of the car. It means the top speed of the car on ANY road is 45mph, bar where a lower speed limit is in force.

IMO its quite dangerous on the motorway, everyone else doing 70mph and a slow driver doing 45mph..
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kerbing)
IMO its quite dangerous on the motorway, everyone else doing 70mph and a slow driver doing 45mph..
Agree, a stupid idea which is more likely to cause an accident than driving at the same speed as the rest of the traffic. In the driving test on mainland UK you can be failed for driving below the posted limit, even a 70mph dual carriageway as you become a danger by causing other vehicles to either slow or attempt an overtake, which is creating unnecessary danger to others.
Hoody555
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
45? What a stupid idea!
Kerbing
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hoody555)
45? What a stupid idea!
We've been going on about this for ages.. Government dont care!
ChrisBan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kerbing)
We've been going on about this for ages.. Government dont care!
Does this not automatically ban them from driving on motorways?
JakeM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought Restricted Driver was a punishment. Well it should be!
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChrisBan)
Does this not automatically ban them from driving on motorways?
Yes, it does.
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whoever came up wit that idea needs banning from breathing.
Kerbing
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
Yes, it does.
No it doesn't. 'L' plates aren't allowed on motorways. 'R' plates are perfectly fine, as long as they stay at 45mph.
Darryl358
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a professional driver and went up motorway with my R plate daughter and it was horrific. Entering the motorway was the worst, traffic was coming up at 70 to 80 mph see couldn’t get out, she couldn’t even speed up to near a safer speed to join because of her insurance app. She then had to slow down which courses a whole new problem, she had to pull out from stopped the traffic was still bombing up past at 70 to 80 mph. when she got a sufficient gap to go the traffic was up on her in seconds braking and flashing lights. 45mph on a motorway is very very dangerous. I’ve told my daughter to stay of the motorway to she gets her R plates down at least she will come home safe.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Darryl358)
I am a professional driver and went up motorway with my R plate daughter and it was horrific. Entering the motorway was the worst, traffic was coming up at 70 to 80 mph see couldn’t get out, she couldn’t even speed up to near a safer speed to join because of her insurance app. She then had to slow down which courses a whole new problem, she had to pull out from stopped the traffic was still bombing up past at 70 to 80 mph. when she got a sufficient gap to go the traffic was up on her in seconds braking and flashing lights. 45mph on a motorway is very very dangerous. I’ve told my daughter to stay of the motorway to she gets her R plates down at least she will come home safe.
Northern island is dumb lol it's not safe it's better to restrict it to 70 rather than 45
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Darryl358)
Why have you bumped an eight year old thread just to rant..?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads