The Student Room Group

royal college/royal academy of music

I need some advice on my chances of actually getting in please!
I love singing. it is one of my genuine passions and i would love to study vocal studies at the RCM or RAM, but I dont currently take classical singing lessons and I dont have any grades. I think that I have the ability, but how important are the actual grades? I am predicted AAA at a level.
Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Grades dont matter I dont think...
My mate got into Mt View, and she didnt have straight A' but is AMAZING at singing!!
my other mate had to take a gap year, and got in this year, but cant remember the name of the college,
I know how hard it is to get in and seriously GOOD LUCK!!!
Can I just say, if i wasn't doing nursing- and had decided to do music a-level over photography, i'd LOVE to have gone to the RC/RCA...*sigh* good luck!!
Having looked at the prospectus, it says under Entry Requirements that you need to have a technical level that is level to ABRSM Grade 8+ standard (you don't need to have done the exam). I think they also prefer that you are able to play piano to Grade 5 standard. Need to do an audition too.

Academic wise, you need a full A level in Music.

I know it is also pretty difficult to get into. Good luck, fingers crossed if you go for it!
You'll pretty much need to have been trained... if you've had no singing lessons at all, then it will be noticeable to the people when you audition.
Reply 5
hi, has anyone been called to audition for RCM or RAM??

i know Royal Northern in Manchester have started to call people to auditions already and i was wondering about the others?
Original post by Ruthie93
hi, has anyone been called to audition for RCM or RAM??

i know Royal Northern in Manchester have started to call people to auditions already and i was wondering about the others?

I know people who have got RAM auditions through, not sure about RCM though :smile:
Reply 7
do you know what dates?
i have applied and haven't received any response yet and i was wondering when would i find out if i have an audition or not =)
Unless things have changed radically the last few years, both the RAM and RCM audition all applicants :yes:
Reply 9
did any one attend an audition in royal academy of music? as i will be attending in next month and would like to ask for some advice
thanks
I did but it was four years ago, so it depends what you're asking :biggrin:
Reply 11
oh alright, i see cause i will attend my audition next month (dec) so i just want to get prepared before i go cause i have done grade 8 practicals 5 yrs back so nearly forgotten everything...
Original post by rukia88
oh alright, i see cause i will attend my audition next month (dec) so i just want to get prepared before i go cause i have done grade 8 practicals 5 yrs back so nearly forgotten everything...

It's not like graded exams at all. You'll have prepared about 35 mins worth of music and they'll ask you to play specific pieces. Then they might have a little chat with you. I don't think I was asked for sight-reading. There are the written bits as well. Then if you do well enough in the first round, you go through to the second round (I never made it there, so can't tell you what happens :biggrin: ) :yes:
Reply 13
oh thanks alot, might i know what to chat about like random questions eg your interests in music etc or something related to your pieces?
And do you know any one has gone through the 2nd round?
Can't help you too much tbh. They weren't interested in me at all so asked a few polite questions about stuff in my personal statement and why I'd chosen to play certain pieces the way I did. That was about it :biggrin:
Reply 15
oh thanks, so is there any one who went through the 2nd round (academy audition)!!!!
please help!!!!!
Reply 16
i am really sorry but may i ask which grade have you passed when you attend your audition?
thanks
I'd passed my Grade 8 and was working towards my DipABRSM and ATCL :yes:

No offence but you don't really seem to have much of an idea of what you've applied for. Has your teacher not put you on a strict practice regime in preparation for this? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
i switched my direction towards music just few months back, although i passed my dipABRSM, but i have stopped playing piano for the past 2 yrs, ...so iam really worry if i would be able to cope with this...
You haven't played for 2 years but are going for it anyway? Brave person!

I guess if you don't get in this year, you could try again next year? Best of luck anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest