The Student Room Group

D in GCSE Maths

Hi there,
I'm new to TSR. I receieved my GCSE results yesterday and I am disappointed with my marks result. I have looked at the breakdown of the marks and my coursework was of a good standard as expected, so it must have been the two written examination papers which let me down badly. I sat the Intermediate (B-E) paper and only got a D despite expecting a B or a C. I felt the exam went well. Would you recommend I resit this? If so, should I teach myself and enter for it at a different school, do distance learning or enrole on an evening class or do it through my school. I am concerned it will affect my chances of going to a good university in the future - do you think this will be the case. I also receieved D's in English ( with a C in Literature and Double Award Science) all with AQA examw.

Many thanks for any advice. I'm really worried.
Reply 1
In reality GCSEs mean very little when applying to university. Retake it though, as most people will expect a minimum of a C.
Reply 2
Maths-wise I'd say so it through your school. With GCSE maths I believe there is a retake in November still (anyone confirm this?) which would be ideal for you to do.
Reply 3
samd
Maths-wise I'd say so it through your school. With GCSE maths I believe there is a retake in November still (anyone confirm this?) which would be ideal for you to do.

yes that is right - november
Does that involve doing all the coursework again?
Reply 5
kacas
Does that involve doing all the coursework again?

There used to be a restriction that coursework marks could be re-used only once, and within twelve months of the original award, this restriction was removed in the 2004/5 edition of the Code of Practice.

There is no longer any restriction on the number of occasions or on the time period (provided that it is within the lifetime of the specification).

Mathematics coursework can also be transferred between different boards.
oh good!

Cos I got a D in my results overall, but my coursework was a c!
Reply 7
steve2005
There used to be a restriction that coursework marks could be re-used only once, and within twelve months of the original award, this restriction was removed in the 2004/5 edition of the Code of Practice.

There is no longer any restriction on the number of occasions or on the time period (provided that it is within the lifetime of the specification).

Mathematics coursework can also be transferred between different boards.

but saying this, be aware that the current spec will finish in june 07 i think
Reply 8
Jasundie
In reality GCSEs mean very little when applying to university. Retake it though, as most people will expect a minimum of a C.

I agree, but getting a D in GCSE Mathematics will also greatly influence how well you do in A-level Mathematics, which is what unis DO mean a lot.

You have to work hard to maintain a D at A-level, and work extra hard to get better than a D.
Jasundie

Im afraid that this is simply untrue. For many courses you will be expected to hold 3 gcse passes (A*-C) in subjects that differ from your A-level options, And many courses will demand English Language an Mathematics to at least a grade C standard..

However Destudent, you are to too far off the desired minimum of a C grade. You should indeed retake the exam. You need to get your hands on the relevant past papers, buy a good GCSE revision guide and be determined to succees. If your school offers a good retake class, then enrol.. If you feel that you need a little more help as the exam approaches then get a little extra coaching; this could be from a sympathetic teacher, a private tutor or an older student with a good background in maths.

good luck

mrm.
Reply 10
I don't have GCSE grade C or above in Maths I got a D, the attitude of the universities and employers seems to be that that it was a long time ago and the fact my school was famously bad and as soon as I got out of there I was getting A's and Bs at A level and I got a high 2:1 in my degree which involved a lot of maths kind of out weighs it.

I am saying GCSEs are not important they are, but they become less important as time goes on. For Oxbridge and the Russel League then a grade C in English and Maths is probably a must.
what is the Russel League?
i thought you had to retake them if you failed english and maths.
Reply 13
Lirael Abhorsen
what is the Russel League?

Basicialy thre classic red brick type universities, Liverpool, Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester are classic examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group_of_Universities
Reply 14
Mrs. Political

Why? You're free to leave school at 16, my school I didn't even have a sixth form college. Also a D is not a fail. ABCDEFG so a D is a middle grade.

Mrs. Political

Why? You're free to leave school at 16, my school I didn't even have a sixth form college. Also a D is not a fail. ABCDEFG so a D is a middle grade.

Latest