Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 and normally wear tracksuit bottoms and football shirts. I basically want to buy new clothes, jeans polo shirts and hoodies mainly because i cant wear what i normally wear out because i look out of place. The only problem i have when going to shops like topman and burtons is that i look out of place because of what im wearing even though i want to change. The only way i think im going to buy clothes like that is if i go with a friend but isnt that girly plus will he really want to hang about as i look at clothes?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    some men like shopping if not, take a girl friend, im sure they'd be happy to help...in my experience, they just love a chance to get their hands on a blokes wardrobe!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, take a girl shopping with you, but work out how much you can spend max first, or you might end up spending way too much!

ReputationRep:
    You could always make an appointment to see a personal shopper/fashion advisor, I think selected Topshop stores have them, they will help you find something and advise you on current styles.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, do go shopping. Tracksuit bottoms and football shirts are a big faux pas unless you are a footballer and are on the pitch, training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    Im 18 and normally wear tracksuit bottoms and football shirts. I basically want to buy new clothes, jeans polo shirts and hoodies mainly because i cant wear what i normally wear out because i look out of place. The only problem i have when going to shops like topman and burtons is that i look out of place because of what im wearing even though i want to change. The only way i think im going to buy clothes like that is if i go with a friend but isnt that girly plus will he really want to hang about as i look at clothes?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

James I am so excited for you!

Im sure that if you went into these stores and just said to the people, look im trying to get something new they will be more than happy to help you. There are nice sales girls about you know. And when they hear you want to transform yourself they will be willing to help you!

ReputationRep:
    What jeans should i get? I have only bought some once and they were lee cooper but after wearing them a couple of times they wernt big enough so i will make sure they are.

ReputationRep:
    You got Ebay?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather buy clothes from a shop. Its just that i feel out of place as i dress like i do even though i want to change.

ReputationRep:
    have a look at topman/burton websites to get an idea of styles that u like. use a personal shopper if they offer one, but remember the root of their advice is to make u spend loads of money in their shop! maybe take along someone who will give u an honest opinion as well...girls are always good for that

ReputationRep:
    Do you think my friend might go with me? I only say that because i dont want to go by myself and with someone else with me i will feel less out of place. Is it a little weird for me to ask my friend to go with me?

ReputationRep:
    And girls just love to dress you up in very fitted, floral print shirts. You could just see half the male sales assistants's eyes light up.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think my friend might go with me? I only say that because i dont want to go by myself and with someone else with me i will feel less out of place. Is it a little weird for me to ask my friend to go with me?
    Why, dude? I go shopping with my friends all the time, and I'm not even gay. Just ask him, it's not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it would be. i think plenty of guys go shopping together (altho maybe combine it with something "manly" after if he gives u a weird look!)

ReputationRep:
    OK i will see what he says. I know it sounds stupid but i normally go for the same size for clothes and hope they fit, so can i just choose clothes and go to the changing rooms or do you need to ask and do burtons, topman have changing rooms:

ReputationRep:
    OK i will see what he says. I know it sounds stupid but i normally go for the same size for clothes and hope they fit, so can i just choose clothes and go to the changing rooms or do you need to ask and do burtons, topman have changing rooms:
    Choose and go to the changing rooms. There will usually be someone there to give you a little number thing and usually you're not allowed more than 5 items to stop theft. There should be changing rooms in all clothes shops.

ReputationRep:
    How much you normally spend on jeans?

ReputationRep:
    How much you normally spend on jeans?
    Personally, no more than £50 as I don't really see the point of the very expensive jeans. But you can get a decent pair for a lot less (from £15) than that these days (we have china to thank for that), especially if there is a sale.

There might be a problem with clothes this autumn though as the high-street stores have been hit by the EU quotas on Chinese imports. So they might have to raise prices just to keep afloat.

ReputationRep:
    i spent i think £20-25 on some lee cooper jeans which wernt big enough so next time i will make sure they are.

ReputationRep:
    definately. dont be afraid to spend ages in the changing rooms trying on every pair in the shop!! i dont mind spending 30 quid on a pair of jeans if they feel perfect, cos then i just live in them til they start getting holes in...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.