Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Surely sexual orientation is a lifestyle decission. There is no scientific evidence to prove otherwise. So why do people find it necessary to argue against science and nature??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaMahdi)
    Surely sexual orientation is a lifestyle decission. There is no scientific evidence to prove otherwise. So why do people find it necessary to argue against science and nature??
    science and nature, science and nature. the very things that go against the religion you probably follow, which explains the ******** you have just come out with.if you are going to have a bit of a debate about whether gayness is natural, i'm just warning that you'll have to leave religion out of it before we start.and why do i believe tha religion will come into it ooner or later? lets just say i stereotyped.....as you no doubt will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    science and nature, science and nature. the very things that go against the religion you probably follow, which explains the ******** you have just come out with.if you are going to have a bit of a debate about whether gayness is natural, i'm just warning that you'll have to leave religion out of it before we start.and why do i believe tha religion will come into it ooner or later? lets just say i stereotyped.....as you no doubt will.
    Religion has nothing to do with it. I have athiest/gay friends who all agree that sexual orientation is a lifestyle choice. Dont let your prejudice undermine your posts next time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with you. I think sexual orientation is an intrinsic part of someone's character, at least in a lot of cases. It's not a "lifestyle choice" at all, many many people don't like their sexual orientation themselves but live with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm there are already numerous and long threads on this...

but i will say that there is actually quite a bit of both scientific and anecdotal evidence to say that homosexuality is something you're born with - not something you choose. The idea that someone would choose to be gay defies logic. The idea that it is caused by too much/too little attwention from your father or whatever defies scientific method and does not accoutn for the vast majority of cases.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that the Bible does say in 1 Corinthians 6:9 that homosexual offenders will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. The Bible also teaches to love the sinner hate the sin so any form of prejudice held by Christians against homosexuality is a sin on their part-remove the log from your own eye before trying to remove the speck of dust from another person's eye. The Bible does teach to rebuke fellow Christians but it has to be done very tactfully and most definitly in silence-loud mouthed Christians dissing homosexuals is definitly not on but then again-can't argue with what 1 Corinthians 6:9 says.

ReputationRep:
    Living as a gay person: dating, having sex, etc. is a lifestyle decision.
    Being homosexual is not. I believe people are born either gay or straight (or bi?). Being straight and celibate is just as much of a lifestyle decision in my opinion.

People who argue about science and nature make no sense. Out of all criminals, psychologists find pedophiles the hardest to rehabilitate. They just want to have sex with children. That's not "natural"--can't make babies with a child that hasn't gone through puberty. Yet that's what these people want to do.

Pedophilia is wrong, because children can't consent. Homosexuality is two adults and I think people should do what they want. There is no good argument against homosexuality except religion. And if people don't believe in your religion then there is no argument.

ReputationRep:
    A life style choice? Given the stigma surrounding being gay, how many people are really going to choose it? Could you shag a man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moojoo)
    I don't agree with you. I think sexual orientation is an intrinsic part of someone's character, at least in a lot of cases. It's not a "lifestyle choice" at all, many many people don't like their sexual orientation themselves but live with it.
    Thank you for your more civilised response. I agree with some of what you say. There are certanly people who are born genderless, or male in females body etc. For this group of people thier sexual orientation is not really up for debate. Did you know that even in Iran they allow operations for gender change because they appreciate this particular issue.

My point was that if a healthy male/female are attracted to the opposite sex then this surely is a lifestyle choice. I admit the same could be argued for heterosexual situations however, human nature and instincts would suggest otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    Is living as a straight person a lifestyle decision?

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you mean that a person can choose whether or not to be gay. There have been cases of gay people committing suicide because they experienced, or feared, disapproval from their families. In those circumstances, do you seriously think that those people would have made the "lifestyle decision" to be gay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    Hmmm there are already numerous and long threads on this...

but i will say that there is actually quite a bit of both scientific and anecdotal evidence to say that homosexuality is something you're born with - not something you choose. The idea that someone would choose to be gay defies logic. The idea that it is caused by too much/too little attwention from your father or whatever defies scientific method and does not accoutn for the vast majority of cases.
    can you present the evidence please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    A life style choice? Given the stigma surrounding being gay, how many people are really going to choose it? Could you shag a man?
    If i was attracted to a man then i would. However, this is most definitely not the case.

ReputationRep:
    If i was attracted to a man then i would. However, this is most definitely not the case.
    You will never know for sure to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    Being homosexual is not. I believe people are born either gay or straight (or bi?). Being straight and celibate is just as much of a lifestyle decision in my opinion.
    I've always wondered if being bisexual people. I believe you can be born gay, but if you're bi, are you not just making a lifestyle choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Is living as a straight person a lifestyle decision?
    Umm...yes...why don't you read my post and try again

ReputationRep:
    can you present the evidence please?
    Right ho. *takes deep breath*

1) The Kinsey Reports
    2) The American Psychological Association
    3) Twin Studies
    4) Gay Animals

Is that enough for you? If not, ask yourself why someone would voluntarily put themselves in a position where they could be ostracized from society, rejected by their parents, be open to hate attacks, and generally have a far smaller pool of potential partners. I find it simply ludicrous to suggest that homosexuality is a 'lifestyle choice'.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand how people determine whether they are homosexual, or trapped inside the wrong body?!(-then have a sex change)
    because surely the people who have a sex change based on their sexual attraction to the same sex may just be homosexual, life is such a complex thing...

ReputationRep:
    shady lane.. that is some deep and logical thinking u got going on, im impressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicki P)
    i dont understand how people determine whether they are homosexual, or trapped inside the wrong body?!(-then have a sex change)
    because surely the people who have a sex change based on their sexual attraction to the same sex may just be homosexual, life is such a complex thing...
    People who are homosexual are attracted to the same sex. People who are trapped inside the wrong body feel as though they are trapped inside the wrong gender; as though there is something that doesn't quite match between their brain and their body.

For me, being gay doesn't mean I want to be a woman. I am perfectly happy with who I am.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.