The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Howard
I don't. I know some gay people; nice enough folks but sinners nevertheless IMO. Most (practicing) Christians won't abandon scripture (which after all we do regard as God's word) just because a friend turns out to be a shirtlifter. :wink:

And what are the consequences of you clasifying them as sinners?

I mean, if you don't treat them any different, dn't discriminate against them, and are as friends as with everyone else and only think to yourself that they won't go to heaven or something like that, then it's your problem not theirs.
Reply 401
I don't think it is an issue whether or not christians regard homosexuality as sinful? Society is (thankfully) not subject to the moral code of the church so they can feel free to preach whatever they want about us - most sane homosexuals should be completely unperturbed by this. What is an issue is the extent to which homosexuals are able to publicly retaliate against the kind of preaching that is done by some extreme christian groups. This will come into question if (when) Blair brings in his "incitement to hatred on the grounds of religion" bill and is a very worrying development in that it creates a lack of balance in terms of the kind of publicity that the two sides of the debate may have access to.
Reply 402
anabelle

I mean, if you don't treat them any different, dn't discriminate against them, and are as friends as with everyone else and only think to yourself that they won't go to heaven or something like that, then it's your problem not theirs.

Well, actually it's theirs more than mine. It's not me that's at risk of burning in hell for eternity.
Reply 403
kitsune
mmm My best friend is SUPER Christian and she accepts I'm gay (I think she almost enjoys it!) ... so what??? now she is a bad christian for having a gay friend?

No. I didn't say that Christians couldn't or shouldn't have gay friends. That's absurd.

And what's a "SUPER Christian" BTW? Is she a nun?
Reply 404
anabelle

It's not me that's doing the classifying. It's God.
Reply 405
Howard
Well, actually it's theirs more than mine. It's not me that's at risk of burning in hell for eternity.

Me neither. I don't believe in hell :smile:
Reply 406
Howard
No. I didn't say that Christians couldn't or shouldn't have gay friends. That's absurd.

No, gays shouldn't have Christian friends. The latter are quite annoying.
Reply 407
anabelle
Me neither. I don't believe in hell :smile:

Well, just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Assuming it does exist an unrepenting homosexual will not be able to use "well, I never believed in hell" as an excuse for not ending up there. Guaranteed.
Reply 408
Howard

Can you provide some evidence for this risk?
Reply 409
TKR
Can you provide some evidence for this risk?

Of course not.
Reply 410
Howard

SUPER Christian means that she believes in God... and goes to the Church every week! Likes the Pope and stuff like that... I'm "Christian" because a bishop put some water onto my forehead when I was born... but I dont go to the Church and do not believe in god! :smile:
Reply 411
Howard
Of course not.

Then your statement has no place in a rational debate.
Reply 412
lol We will all go to Hel! :smile:
Reply 413
SlyPie
No, gays shouldn't have Christian friends. The latter are quite annoying.

I've got friends that are Christian... what's the problem with it? And I've got friends that are left wing! So what! And I've got friends that do not like monoparental families / artificial inseminations! SO WHAT? Usually... those characteristics belong to the same groups of friends...

I, then, cannot talk to my Grandma because she prays for me everynight not to go out of Spain!
Reply 414
TKR
Then your statement has no place in a rational debate.

What? We can't discuss the Christian viewpoint of homosexuality as sin and morally wrong because I can't prove that hell exists? That's ridiculous.
Reply 415
Howard
What? We can't discuss the Christian viewpoint of homosexuality as sin and morally wrong because I can't prove that hell exists? That's ridiculous.

Just another day in the loony world of debate amongst 'intellectual' liberal democrat supporters. :wink:
Reply 416
Howard

What makes it morally wrong? Nobody answered that yet.
Reply 417
anabelle

I just did.

From a Christian perspective it's a sin. A sin is an act of disobedience towards God and an abomination in his eyes. It is morally wrong to disobey God.
Of course you don't need to prove hell exists. It is perfectly logical to assume that if god does exist and considers it to be a sin to have sex with a member of the same sex then I will go to hell alongside many great people.

If this is the case I have a serious disagreement with god.

There is a biblical argument to be had here, but I am no Biblical scholar.
Reply 419
anabelle

Well according to Christian scripture, the idea of the peversion of the concept of the family that homosexuality entails is morally wrong. Men were made to shag women and vice versa, producing offspring and sustaining the idea of a family with shared values etc. (NB i am not saying that the only purpose of women is to be shagged by men, just in case a highly skilled and rational liberal democrat seizes upon the chance to distort my words :smile: .

Latest

Trending

Trending