Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anabelle)
    It's a moral theory mostly shaped by Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill. Here are some links explaining it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism
    http://ethics.acusd.edu/theories/Uti...ism/index.html
    Never heard of either of them.

"Utilitarianism is sometimes summarized as "The greatest happiness for the greatest number."

I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Never heard of either of them.

"Utilitarianism is sometimes summarized as "The greatest happiness for the greatest number."

I see.
    wow, are you English? (I'm not, so don't take it as an offense, it's just a question because they are two of the most famous English philosophers and I would have thought you would have heard of them at school)

ReputationRep:
    wow, are you English? (I'm not, so don't take it as an offense, it's just a question because they are two of the most famous English philosophers and I would have thought you would have heard of them at school)
    I've never studied philosophy. In school or since.

ReputationRep:
    I'm married with 2 kids so I probably have more experience with vaginas than you. Mind you, you sound like you have lots and lots of experience at having your anus pounded by large penises so I'll take your word for it.
    Oh good on you - I'm sure God loves you . And actually I can't say I've ever had my anus pounded, whilst I have had sex with women before, but when I do have fun with a man I'll make sure to think of how angry God will be at me .

(Original post by technik)
    so because a males "g-spot" is up his ass (and remember not everyone even has a "g-spot") you just ignore the fact you get sperm from a penis and to create a child that somehow needs to interact with the egg...suprisingly the egg is not located in a mans anus. some mighty fine "evidence" you have going here.so because a males "g-spot" is up his ass (and remember not everyone even has a "g-spot") you just ignore the fact you get sperm from a penis and to create a child that somehow needs to interact with the egg...suprisingly the egg is not located in a mans anus. some mighty fine "evidence" you have going here.
    I think you were the one who brought up sperm and eggs, there is a clear difference between the act of mating and the act of reproducing, I suggest you invest in a dictionary before you start ranting away about something that is clearly irrelevant to the point I was making. If men had sex with each other to produce babies you may have had a point, and they may well be degenerate, but I seriously doubt that is the case for any gay man.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but my clueless friend is talking about men mating with one another. I'm assuming he's not suggesting that this is done with a finger. :rolleyes:
    i also cant quite understand what a "g-spot" has to do with mating anyway.

at any rate "mating" is defined in male/female terms as this combination is usually required to produce a new life. i think seahorses are one of the few (perhaps only) exceptions to that rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    Are you saying this like an insult or something? have penises got to be large? btw I dont think many penises have pounded Clueless? ass really...

I think we should stop this discussion... no one is changing their point of view whatsoever
    Howard read something on utilitarianism, it's not so unproductive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i also cant quite understand what a "g-spot" has to do with mating anyway.

at any rate "mating" is defined in male/female terms as this combination is usually required to produce a new life. i think seahorses are one of the few (perhaps only) exceptions to that rule
    You don't believe in contraception either?

ReputationRep:
    Howard read something on utilitarism, it's not so unproductive...
    I don't have time to study every subject on God's earth. I'm kind of picky about what I read up on.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying this like an insult or something? have penises got to be large? btw I dont think many penises have pounded Clueless? ass really...

I think we should stop this discussion... no one is changing their point of view whatsoever
    Quite right, if you replace discussion with "being bombarded by internet evangelism/bigotry" . As I'm going to hell anyway, I may as well go and screw some men :p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clueless?)
    I suggest you invest in a dictionary
    you should really do that

ReputationRep:
    I think we should stop this discussion...
    i agree.

cheerio!

ReputationRep:
    This conversation is a wonderful justification of freedom as an abstract principle. It allows people to express themselves and show themselves up with vulgar language.

It is quite simple. If I want to exgage in sexual activity with a member of the same sex that is my choice. Leave the moral judgement to god, for who are we to know gods will? Or even if he exists or not?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have time to study every subject on God's earth. I'm kind of picky about what I read up on.
    Clearly. Anything that disagrees with the Bible I assume, which rules out quite a lot of science and most other factual books. Your bookcase must be brimming.

ReputationRep:
    But it's always nice to learn something new Even if it is to critize it later...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    This conversation is a wonderful justification of freedom as an abstract principle. It allows people to express themselves and show themselves up with vulgar language.

It is quite simple. If I want to exgage in sexual activity with a member of the same sex that is my choice. Leave the moral judgement to god, for who are we to know gods will? Or even if he exists or not?
    Yes I thought judgement was reserved for God, maybe Howard doesn't know .

ReputationRep:
    Clearly. Anything that disagrees with the Bible I assume, which rules out quite a lot of science and most other factual books. Your bookcase must be brimming.
    Brimming enough to contain all the books I have studied to acquire three degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)

We know God's will because he tells us what it bloody well is in a big book with lots of small writing called the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    That's sad. Everyone will burn in hell if what you believe is right
    Look at it another way. No-one will burn in hell if what he believes is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Quite right, if you replace discussion with "being bombarded by internet evangelism/bigotry" . As I'm going to hell anyway, I may as well go and screw some men :p: .
    AGREE! (I'm a men... )

ReputationRep:
    But it's always nice to learn something new Even if it is to critize it later...
    Well, perhaps I'll read up on it one day. I have a more pressing "need to read" list at the moment.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2005
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.