Is it possible to pull two all-nighters in a row? Watch

This discussion is closed.
touchofclass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok here's my basic situe:

I'm currently doing a 4,000 word essay that I'll need an all-nighter to finish off for 4pm tomorrow. But I also have a 2,000 word essay (which I've hardly done any of) in for Tuesday 4pm which may also necessitate an all nighter on the monday night.

Would two all-nighters in a row be possible? Has anyone had any experience of it?

Or if it would be stupid, anyone got any other ideas for some limited sleep plans? I'm definitely doing the all-nighter tonight, but I guess I could potentially grab 2-3 hours after I've handed in the first one tomorrow, then stay up all night from there.

Yes I know I'm foolish/need to plan better/need to time manage :p:

But this is the situe now, any advice appreciated
kultist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're going to struggle. I'd advise getting at least 6 hours between them. I hope you don't react badly to caffeine.
Bevis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes Starbucks and redbull can make anything happen
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get the 4000 word finished ASAP, sleep till 3.30pm tomorrow, hand it in, start the 2000 word essay. 2000 words is easily manageable in 4 hours or so...
touchofclass
Rep:
?
(Original post by kultist)
You're going to struggle. I'd advise getting at least 6 hours between them. I hope you don't react badly to caffeine.
Nope, a trusty pot of Nescafe is my main ally in this

I'm not sure if I can find 6 spare hours. I'm hoping that at most I'll have to grab a quick nap tomorrow evening and that will prevent me from collapse
Jonny Sniper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm sure I've heard of people doing this, although I personally probably wouldn't be able to manage it!

I'd take 20-30 minute naps instead, every few hours. (Power Napping can be as effective as proper sleeps, in short doses! Also check it 'Polyphasic Sleep' on wikipedia, interesting suggestion for alternative sleep patterns if this is a regular problem for you...)

My final advice is... does it urgently have to be handed in on the exact days you say? At my Uni, you get your mark deducated by 5% for every full day it's in late.... so sometimes it is more beneficial to spend that extra day on perfecting your essays (and getting a bit of sleep in too!) and then handing it in a day late and only getting 5% marks deducted.... you might be able to gain those marks back (or even get a higher mark!) by spending the extra time on your essays.

Anyway, good luck with your essays!
patella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's entirely possible if you sleep for a few hours in between.

Good luck!
cymraesfach
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take some E, you'll be fine
4TSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
after 4 pm sleep for like 6-8 hours then get up and start on the next one....
Jonny Sniper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 4TSR)
after 4 pm sleep for like 6-8 hours then get up and start on the next one....

To be honest (and despite what I suggested earlier) I think this is what I would do, if I were in your position. But that's just a personal decision
touchofclass
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonny Sniper)
I'm sure I've heard of people doing this, although I personally probably wouldn't be able to manage it!

I'd take 20-30 minute naps instead, every few hours. (Power Napping can be as effective as proper sleeps, in short doses! Also check it 'Polyphasic Sleep' on wikipedia, interesting suggestion for alternative sleep patterns if this is a regular problem for you...)

My final advice is... does it urgently have to be handed in on the exact days you say? At my Uni, you get your mark deducated by 5% for every full day it's in late.... so sometimes it is more beneficial to spend that extra day on perfecting your essays (and getting a bit of sleep in too!) and then handing it in a day late and only getting 5% marks deducted.... you might be able to gain those marks back (or even get a higher mark!) by spending the extra time on your essays.

Anyway, good luck with your essays!
Thanks the power napping sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a go

Ours is 5 marks for every day, which is really too painful a hit to take
touchofclass
Rep:
?
Cheers guys, you've made me believe this is possible! Time to brew some coffee, get my head down, and grimly trudge towards the blissful moment that will be 4pm Tuesday
Jonny Sniper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by touchofclass)
Thanks the power napping sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a go

Ours is 5 marks for every day, which is really too painful a hit to take

Ok, fair enough - I hope that you still write good essays in a sleep-deprived state! :-) If it was me, I'd just find myself rambling and writing a load of crap, haha.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
a5mcclelland
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm on an all-nighter now finishing some DT coursework off. From my past experiences of staying up as long as I can getting work done, the first night is qutie productive, but my motivation to continue to the 2nd night just isn't there. I will say it is possible, but the 2nd night will be hard.
touchofclass
Rep:
?
(Original post by cymraesfach)
Imagine how bad you'd feel if the morning papers greeted you with

TRAGIC LOSS AS OVERWORKED STUDENT DIES OF E-INDUCED HEART ATTACK

Thanks anyway though :yep:
Absinth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you've never done an all-nighter before, you'll struggle like hell. If I was in this situation, I would do an all-nighter for the first night, sleep straight after handing it in, wake up at 3/4am and work on the 2nd essay.
Eldedu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cymraesfach)
Nah. He'll be too busy having a good time to get boring **** done.

Adderall's your best bet. Someone on campus'll have it.
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes it is possible, and I do it alot, my current longest is about 90 hours without sleep, but its not advisable because afterwards you tend to end up sleeping the same amount afterwards :P
TurboCretin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends really. I knew a guy last year who was capable of not sleeping for a week. If I don't get sleep though I can barely comprehend what's going on around me come 11am the next day.
marijuanahero
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by touchofclass)
Imagine how bad you'd feel if the morning papers greeted you with

TRAGIC LOSS AS OVERWORKED STUDENT DIES OF E-INDUCED HEART ATTACK

Thanks anyway though :yep:

few dabs of speed would work better. not enough to get high, just enough to keep you up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.31%
1 (39)
16.39%
2 (40)
16.81%
3 (32)
13.45%
4 (16)
6.72%
5 (20)
8.4%
6 (6)
2.52%
7+ (20)
8.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise