Turn on thread page Beta

A and A* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    School sux.

ReputationRep:
    gcse's are just memorising facts.. just revise and memorise whole revision guides.. and u'll b guarenteed with at least a b.. then add ur own intelligence to that.. and u'll get an a or a* depending on ur enthausiasm for the subject. i revised nothing for ict for two whole years, but revised 6 hours each the two days before the exam, and ended up with the A.. only because i memorised the revision guide. gcses r crappy.

ReputationRep:
    did no work in year 10, went crazy in year 11 with work
    Worked for a fair bit in year 12.
    In first term didn't do much work but did reading around my course, and went crazy again in the last term.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you keep up with coursework/essays etc as you don't want to be trying to do these instead of revising. Personally i revised a week before the exams and i'm happy with my grades. It depends really on how much you think that you need to revise and if you want straight A/A*s or you don't mind getting some bs/cs.

ReputationRep:
    read through and memorise.thats basically it.gcses arent hard. just a bunch of facts and the revision guides are very easy to read. however i did applied ict and found it hard. no revision guide for it.cwk worth 75% of the overall grade.spent ages on cwkm buggered up on exam and ended with a BB. I dont really know what i had to do to get AA.I was predicted at least AA.grrrr

ReputationRep:
    You can get by with bare minimum intelligence if you just put in lots of hard work, to be completely frank. That in itself (being hard-working) is, however, an enviable trait.

I believe the real challenge will start in the next two years.

ReputationRep:
    I worked VERY hard to get my grades, but it varies from person to person. Some people have a nack for remembering things, I on the otherhand don't, therefore I had to work more to get better grades.

ReputationRep:
    pissed around in year 10 but made sure my coursework was up to a good standard. in year 11 5 months before the exams, i started revising,

(Original post by rico dan man)
    pissed around in year 10 but made sure my coursework was up to a good standard. in year 11 5 months before the exams, i started revising,
    Same

ReputationRep:
    I messed around the entire Year 9 & 10, but made sure that all C/W was good, which turned out to be all A*'s in CW and 1 B in English c/w. Started revising about a week before exams and even that was with MSN and games, check my sig for the grades I got, I was dreading the problems with Edexcel and never thought i'd get above a C for Science ! :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    The best advice I can give you is to keep on top of coursework deadlines and make sure you do as well as possible in it. I know my coursework dragged my overall grade down in at least 3 subjects and looking back on it now, I regret not working harder. Going into the exams with A*s and As in coursework will take the pressure off a bit and give you a kind of 'safety net' if the exams don't go as well as you'd hoped. Try to pay attention in class, ask if there's anything you're stuck on and do your homework. It sounds obvious, but don't neglect your worst subjects- I did a bit because my worst subjects were also my least favourite. Finally, revise for your mocks and you'll hopefully still remember a lot of the information when it comes to revising for the real exams. Use them to identify your weakest subjects/topics and work on those. I started revising in the Easter holidays and I ended up with 1 A* and 6 As (and 3 Bs) so not quite straight A*s and As, but not bad either. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    any tip on revising for english language??

ReputationRep:
    natural ability. only messing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I worked very very hard.

I actually missed over 4 months of school due to illness during my GCSE years, with 3 of those around feb, mar, apr of this year. As you can imagine, this meant I really had to grind to get my grades (9A*'s.)

I think it really depends on how much you've worked over Yr 10 and so on. Good coursework makes your life so much easier. For instance, in maths I only needed 55% for my A* because of my coursework marks.

Basically, just learn in the lessons so you don't have to actually learn it later, more review what you know, and keep on top of any deadlines ect.

ReputationRep:
    As my RS teacher would tell you, im one of the laziest, most unenthusiastic student in the class, yet i still managed an 'A'. Same with english lit too.

If i had worked harder i could have possibly turned Cs into Bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xshel90x)
    any tip on revising for english language??
    Cant really, i mean, i didnt. Well, I read a couple of pages on how to analyse text etc (which took 10 mins), but other than that there isnt a lot.

I didnt revise at all, and still got a B.

ReputationRep:
    if your parents dont mind paying for it, then get a tutor.. but they are quite expensive. £25 or £30 an hour, every week.. it adds up. i got one for science in the beginning of year 11, in year 10 i was really struggling and was heading for 2 B's, but i ended up get two A*s, so having a tutor really helped.

ReputationRep:
    I worked really hard to achieve my A*'s and A's. I know a few people on here claim they were just able to do it by doing minimal revision or that they just got lucky, but I wouldn't reccomend just relying purely on your own "natural ability" or what other people say about gcse's being easy. As has been said before, do put maximum effort into the coursework, even if it's only worth what you think is a fraction of the grade-it'll make a difference at the end.

If you're doing a modular course, try and get as high a grade as you can on those exams too, because then there'll be less pressure on you at the end of the course. For science modular exams, a lot of people I know didn't really bother to revise for most of them properly, and just ended up missing out on A's and A*'s because of this.

With stuff like English, you need to have a good understanding of what you're going to be examined on. The fact that notes aren't allowed in the exam anymore is quite scary to some people, but don't try and memorise loads of notes on your poems. I revised for English by reading my annotations through but also by looking at things after we'd been over them in class and trying to develop my own interpretations and analysis points. Re-write what you've got and form new ideas along the way. English is one of my best subjects but I know I wouldn't have done as well as I did with no preparation.

Above all, just try and stay motivated...revise, but don't over work yourself. It'll be much more beneficial for you if you work at a good pace throughout the 2 years, rather than have to get into major stress in the middle of year 11 with coursework and eextra revision with stuff you didn't bother learning before.

Anyway, I hope some of that stuff helped Sorry for my looooong sentences...I'm really tired! Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    I got my 1 A* in English Literature!! I got 5 As in English Language, Art, History, Drama and RS. I was not really expecting these grades at all. I wanted grades along these lines prior to the exams, and my English teacher saying that I wasn't going to get an A* really helped motivate me in achieving my dream grade, although after the exams were done I never thought that I'd get anywhere near this. I got my total of 6 A grades by focusing on the subjects that I knew In definately wanted A's in. I know that I am not a maths/science fan, so I just left those up to luck really and ended up with B's in them (along with Spanish and Citizenship).

My tip, make sure you work hard for your GCSEs, and even harder in the subjects that you want As and A*s in. That's what I did, and it worked well for me!!!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.