A and A* Watch

This discussion is closed.
ice_topaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's alright! I've been waiting to be in the position to advise people on how to do well in their GCSEs!
Lolalara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Everyone has their favourite subjects and their hated ones. I absolutely hated maths, and i left it rather late to get to grips with the syllabus... but, i did it in the end, because i wanted a good grade - and it was worth it.

As it has been said, you've got to put the effort and dedication into the ones you don't like. If you're prepared to bother doing coursework the night before a deadline, for a subject you hate, a teacher you despise and whilst coping with an annoying buzz in your head saying "go to sleep now", that sort of attitude will get you As and A*s.

It isn't always like that, and most of the time it's not. The point being, it's very rare for someone to love every subject they are made to do, you've just got to be willing to put the same effort into the ones you don't enjoy, as the ones you do.

So, my best subjects never felt all that awful or tedious, my worst ones felt like a nightmare at times - just keep at it!
ice_topaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lolalara)
Everyone has their favourite subjects and their hated ones. I absolutely hated maths, and i left it rather late to get to grips with the syllabus... but, i did it in the end, because i wanted a good grade - and it was worth it.

As it has been said, you've got to put the effort and dedication into the ones you don't like. If you're prepared to bother doing coursework the night before a deadline, for a subject you hate, a teacher you despise and whilst coping with an annoying buzz in your head saying "go to sleep now", that sort of attitude will get you As and A*s.

It isn't always like that, and most of the time it's not. The point being, it's very rare for someone to love every subject they are made to do, you've just got to be willing to put the same effort into the ones you don't enjoy, as the ones you do.

So, my best subjects never felt all that awful or tedious, my worst ones felt like a nightmare at times - just keep at it!
I wish I had your PMA (positive mental attitude)!
Piggy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hm...well i didn't work very hard until the nights before each exam - those nights I went to sleep at like 2am. Twas tough man..but worth it!
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'll go through the grades i acheived A and A*'s since they vary in their importance and difficulty to attain;

Mathematics: Well this is just one those subjects which i dont really find that interesting, but thankfully i had a wonderful teacher who made the subject exciting and enthralling because of this i spent probally two hours each alternate night for a week before hand revising key issues and praticing questions and papers. Got an A which was the highest grade attained in our school which i find quite rewarding.

English Language: Well i wasnt expecting this considering how this is often considered much harder than English Literature which i wanted an A+ for but ended up with a dissapointing B forgot to add in my historical, cultural and social relevance to my questions. And the exam itself well i spent a couple of lunchtimes with my teacher going over key stuff and practising alot of the questions and what is needed to get high grades, it paid off.

Media Studies: My favorite subject off all time, one that is just made for someone like my who enjoys the media and has made it an intergeral part of their lives. Didnt revise one dime for this examination with my knowledge, confidence and enthusiasm performing well enough for me in the first place. Extremely rewarding to enter an exam without any revision and to ace it.

Religious Education: Pretty much the same as Media Studies i guess, barring the enthusiasm; this is RE remember :P . Our teacher has been a residential marker for this board for over 10 years and knows their marking scheme inside out she provided me with some tips here and there which helped me ace the exam without being able to receit one word of the bible.

Science (Double Award): Well i was literally jumping for joy when i found out i had aced this examination. After getting two C grades in my first year 10 modules i felt as though anything higher than an A grade was unobtainable. But thankfully a couple of wednesday after school lessons going over the essential tough cookies helped me get a huge result in my final exam.
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by michaelbenson)
I'll go through the grades i acheived A and A*'s since they vary in their importance and difficulty to attain;

Mathematics: Well this is just one those subjects which i dont really find that interesting, but thankfully i had a wonderful teacher who made the subject exciting and enthralling because of this i spent probally two hours each alternate night for a week before hand revising key issues and praticing questions and papers. Got an A which was the highest grade attained in our school which i find quite rewarding.

English Language: Well i wasnt expecting this considering how this is often considered much harder than English Literature which i wanted an A+ for but ended up with a dissapointing B forgot to add in my historical, cultural and social relevance to my questions. And the exam itself well i spent a couple of lunchtimes with my teacher going over key stuff and practising alot of the questions and what is needed to get high grades, it paid off.

Media Studies: My favorite subject off all time, one that is just made for someone like my who enjoys the media and has made it an intergeral part of their lives. Didnt revise one dime for this examination with my knowledge, confidence and enthusiasm performing well enough for me in the first place. Extremely rewarding to enter an exam without any revision and to ace it.

Religious Education: Pretty much the same as Media Studies i guess, barring the enthusiasm; this is RE remember :P . Our teacher has been a residential marker for this board for over 10 years and knows their marking scheme inside out she provided me with some tips here and there which helped me ace the exam without being able to receit one word of the bible.

Science (Double Award): Well i was literally jumping for joy when i found out i had aced this examination. After getting two C grades in my first year 10 modules i felt as though anything higher than an A grade was unobtainable. But thankfully a couple of wednesday after school lessons going over the essential tough cookies helped me get a huge result in my final exam.
You seem quite modest about your dizzying achievements
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I so don't have a natural ability as others assume. I've had to work really hard. I've got a good memory so that has helped me so much when it comes to revising stuff. To be honest, I think I left revision quite late and I put it off at times but when I did revise, I revised really hard and made sure I understood everything in the syllabi, revision guides etc. I always made sure I was up to date with everything such as making sure I made coursework deadlines. I asked friends and teachers if I was unsure about anything and I tried my best in all I was given even if it took me a few hours. But then again I did have time to watch TV quite alot lol, surf the net and go out so I didn't dedicate a huge amount of time to learning.
I was quite dissatisfied with some of my teachers if they weren't helping, absent quite alot or used boring teaching methods all the time but I think that just gave me the drive to do well and I tried to teach myself many things that I didn't learn or understand in class.
I ended up with 11A*s and 2As...I couldn't have asked for any better and I truly find this hard to believe. I exceeded some teachers' expectations and my own so I'm just glad the hard work paid off.
IZZY!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xshel90x)
any tip on revising for english language??
english language is tough. for me it was especially, because it isnt my first language. i dont know how, but i got an A* in it, despite I joined the school in this country only in the beginning of year 10.hehe.you need to practice a lot of writing. practice exam questions and answer them.for media stuff,read broadsheet papers and try to examine them. english language is also based on your creativity.you have to think how to impress the reader and etc.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It varies between subjects. eg:

ICT: I did no revision for the exam, ********ted completely. I was careful with CW to do all the necessary bits though.
History: I worked hard for the two years in lessons, didn't really take in much, barely revised. The exam went really badly, but my grade was okay in the end, luckily. I was so upset after the exam.
English: Paid attention in lessons, homework was crappy, babbled on about crap in the exam and messed up so badly (I thought at the time) but somehow managed to get full marks in some papers.

I can't be bothered to type any more. Bah.
GlitterStorm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't be fooled-the majority of people do actually revise to get good grades. Some may be able to blag it, but if anything, revising for your gcse's is good practice for A level, where it really isn't the same.

I know I already said some stuff about English, but if you do technology and get your pre-release on the 1st of March, try and start your research sooner rather than later! I ended up putting mine off for ages because textiles was my last exam, and then just got stressed out trying to think up ideas for stupid soft furnishings while my mind was on other things. By that time I'd already left school so it was really hard to get help from people. Even though coursework counts for more in tech., don't ignore the exam and think it's not really that important, because if you don't bother with it you could end up not doing as well as you would have liked.

edit-oops, derr, I just saw your sig with the gcse subjects in. Stupid me. Oh well :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.85%
No (386)
72.15%

Watched Threads