The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is anyone staying at Blackfriars or Buchanan View in Glasgow this September?

Scroll to see replies

Tori1607
if you login to your unite account and click on "my flatmates" it should tell you what flat you are in and if your flatmates have checked in ! x

I also didn't go through Unite for Blackfriars so i know nothing and i'm planning on moving in on Saturday. I have no info like what flat or room or how to get keys etc. :o:

Is Blackfriars close to any other halls so i'm not like rejected from most people from UofG? :confused:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
ConnorMagoo
I also didn't go through Unite for Blackfriars so i know nothing and i'm planning on moving in on Saturday. I have no info like what flat or room or how to get keys etc. :o:

Is Blackfriars close to any other halls so i'm not like rejected from most people from UofG? :confused:

ehmmmm well you are like a few miles from UofG and the closest hall is andrew ure which is a strathclyde one. I think you will be put in a flat with others from UofG though, don't panic you will meet tons of people at uni through tutorials etc
Tori1607
ehmmmm well you are like a few miles from UofG and the closest hall is andrew ure which is a strathclyde one. I think you will be put in a flat with others from UofG though, don't panic you will meet tons of people at uni through tutorials etc

Hah, i like how you attempted to give an encouraging thought at the end but basically i'm screwed, right? I was "Category A" for accomodation in UofG halls and i get none of my 6 preferences... :mad:
Reply 43
ConnorMagoo
Hah, i like how you attempted to give an encouraging thought at the end but basically i'm screwed, right? I was "Category A" for accomodation in UofG halls and i get none of my 6 preferences... :mad:

Yeah, I don't understand how glasgow has so many people this year that they cant put them in UofG halls? they used to gurantee you a place if you lived more than 25 miles away. Maybe they have changed the rules. Have you moved in yet?
Tori1607
Yeah, I don't understand how glasgow has so many people this year that they cant put them in UofG halls? they used to gurantee you a place if you lived more than 25 miles away. Maybe they have changed the rules. Have you moved in yet?

It's a bit messed up :/ No not moved in yet. Think i'm gonna move in on Saturday then think to myself: "Now what?" :eek3:
ConnorMagoo

Snap :smile:
Don't worry tho, it's a 10 min walk to subway then 15 mins on the subway to Uni so it's not too bad =D
Plus U of G bought 200 rooms in Blackfriars, plus loadsa rooms in Buchanon View (quite nearby) and Victoria Halls (reasonably nearby!) so it should actually be pretty good :smile:
Reply 46
I just spoke to buchanan view on the phone - they confirmed that we can't move in until 10am on Monday the 13th.

You should give them a call and check about your one if you plan on going earlier, since they will turn you away.

Or log into the glasgow accommodation system, download a copy of the contract and see if the start date is the 13th - if it is then you cant go earlier.

I am just posting this so no people turn up and get turned away.
CJN
I just spoke to buchanan view on the phone - they confirmed that we can't move in until 10am on Monday the 13th.

You should give them a call and check about your one if you plan on going earlier, since they will turn you away.

Or log into the glasgow accommodation system, download a copy of the contract and see if the start date is the 13th - if it is then you cant go earlier.

I am just posting this so no people turn up and get turned away.

Hmm... I'm not sure because when you accept the accomodation offer for Blackfriars it states that your move in dates are from 1st September onwards. I suppose i better check though because they still haven't informed me of anything regarding moving in.
Reply 48
ConnorMagoo
Hmm... I'm not sure because when you accept the accomodation offer for Blackfriars it states that your move in dates are from 1st September onwards. I suppose i better check though because they still haven't informed me of anything regarding moving in.

I am not sure about blackfriars, just buchanan view.

I hope you can move in when you want - I am just warning people since I can imagine how bad it would be to travel for a day and get turned away.

But on the unite website it says my tenancy starts on the 1st of september, yet over the phone they confirmed it doesnt start until the 13th.

To check for sure visit:

https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk/

When you are there, log in and you can download a copy of your contract. Then it will say the start date of the contract, which is the date you can move in.

Or you can phone unite to confirm.
CJN

To check for sure visit:

https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk/

When you are there, log in and you can download a copy of your contract. Then it will say the start date of the contract, which is the date you can move in.

Or you can phone unite to confirm.

Yeah thanks. There's an E-troduction or something which tells you how to get keys and book to move in etc. It's on the glasgow uni accom site after you login. Thanks again.
Reply 50
Hello,
I am taken at the UoG next september (2014) and as you guys have posted all of this in 2010, I wanted to know how it was for you to live in Blackfriars / Buchanan View ? the pros and the cons ? and would you advise me to go there ?
if it was easy going from Buchanan View to the UoG ?

thanks xx

( oh ! and btw I am french so do you have any idea if I have a chance to be taken at the Caledonian Uni too ? )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Darcy1996
Hello,
I am taken at the UoG next september (2014) and as you guys have posted all of this in 2010, I wanted to know how it was for you to live in Blackfriars / Buchanan View ? the pros and the cons ? and would you advise me to go there ?
if it was easy going from Buchanan View to the UoG ?

thanks xx

( oh ! and btw I am french so do you have any idea if I have a chance to be taken at the Caledonian Uni too ? )

Hey! I am pretty much in the same situation since I also consider going to Buchanan View though accepted in UoG. The rooms look much better in comparison with Cairncross but I am worried about being isolated and the distance. It's like 2 miles so cycling and walking shouldn't feel strange, right? I am going to study Film and Television, what about you?
Any further advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 52
Hey (: I am pretty much in the same situation. I'm going to UoG but i am worried i will be isolated if i live in Buchanan View, though the rooms look much better than the accommodation our uni offers. Also, if the distance is like 2 miles, walking or cycling shouldn't feel that odd, right? I am going to study Film and Television, what about you?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 53
I'm staying in Buchanan view this year, let me know if you go there!
Reply 54
Original post by LylaM
I'm staying in Buchanan view this year, let me know if you go there!

Which room have you booked? :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by DessyL
Which room have you booked? :smile:

Block 501 room A :smile: you thinking blackfrairs or buchanan?
Reply 56
Original post by LylaM
Block 501 room A :smile: you thinking blackfrairs or buchanan?

I was intending to get a room at Buchanan on the 5th floor but I've just booked Victoria Hall, which is like 2 minites walking distance from Buchanan. Are you going to Glasgow Uni? I will be first year undergraduate there :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by DessyL
I was intending to get a room at Buchanan on the 5th floor but I've just booked Victoria Hall, which is like 2 minites walking distance from Buchanan. Are you going to Glasgow Uni? I will be first year undergraduate there :smile:

Yes i will be, but i have to do the first two years of my uni course in college, then ill jump straight into third year :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by steveo0209
I'm staying at Buchanan View :biggrin:

Is anyone actually moving in on the first day? (1st Sep)

Is it spetember first? Others are saying 13th? Im staying in buchanan view! What flat you in? :smile: first person ive seen in buchanan!
Reply 59
I'm starting strathclyde uni in September. Anyone else in blackfriars? I'm in flat 208 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending