The Student Room Group

Is It Because I'm Black?..no..im Being Serious

I am damn pi**ed off.
Sent my ucas form off on the 30th of october, i've applied to read economics at Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE and Cambridge.
At GCSE which i think are a complete wait of time and insult to my intelligence, i scored 4A*, 4A's and 2 B's.
At AS I scored 3 grade A's and 2 B's (Economics-A, Geography-A, French-A, Mathematics-B, Chemistry-B). Predicted 4 A's at A-level (dropped chemistry)
Very soon after i applied i was horrified to learn that Bristol had rejected me, why they did this i am itching to find out.
So far i have offers from Nottingham and Edingburgh.
Oh yeh, my interview at Cambridge went well and i am not being big headed but they found my arguments very interesting and i could feel a good vibe. But at the admissions interview the tutor (who i will not name) was not at all interested in what i had to say, didnt listen to me or even make bleeding eye contact. He was so damn stuck up, yo know when you can seriously tell someone doesnt like you, well i felt that.
Consequently i was rejected ( no surprise there).
Well too bad for LSE that i'm not a foreign student so they'll probably reject me as well.
It it because i am black????????

Now i'm just waiting for warwick but i dont know which 1 i'd choose as 1st choice if LSE reject me (assuming warwick will have me).
What do you guys think, and why?
My only requirements are that my university has a good enough rep to propel me to top level finance in the city and that i will also have a good time while im at it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A reason enough for rejection from a competitive uni like Bristol is more likely to be your B in AS Maths, consdiering how important maths is for economics
Reply 2
Umm... sorry if this is a stupid question, but why did you submit your UCAS form on the 30th if you were applying to Cambridge?
I can't really account for your rejections but I know that one of my friends who applied for similar courses to you got 4 offers (and she's still waiting on the other 2 as far as I know)
Reply 3
soz i meant september.
I got in there well early, and bristol do this to me.
IT was last on my list but i dont take rejection lightly.
Reply 4
theone
A reason enough for rejection from a competitive uni like Bristol is more likely to be your B in AS Maths, consdiering how important maths is for economics

No thats just bull
I was advised to apply by my careers adviser and a friend who studies at bristol.
MY careers adviser told me of a guy from my college who i knew pretty well, who was accepted to read econ despite him gaining the same grades as me but he also got a B in economics.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
only kidding i aint blaming you.
Reply 5
PuffDaddy
No thats just bull
I was advised to apply by my careers adviser and a friend who studies at bristol.
MY careers adviser told me of a guy from my college who i knew pretty well, who was accepted to read econ despite him gaining the same grades as me but he also got a B in economics.

why would they reject you because you're black? couldnt it even help you atm, with all the positive discrimination going round?
Reply 6
PuffDaddy
No thats just bull

I'm an international applicant.

Although it says on Bristiol's website that they take at least a month to consider applications, they rejected me after 3 weeks (Philosophy&Economics).

My school's UCAS person told me they might have rejected me, because they thought I was applying to Oxbridge as well (which I was) or because me having an unusual academic background and them having to deal with so many applicants (12:1), they might have just not been bothered with considering my application properly. Anyway, screw Bristol, I got an offer from Oxford. :wink:
I damn well hope they have a legitimate reason for rejecting you - otherwise the very last shred of confidence I had in the admissions systems for our universities just went down the pan.... :frown:
Reply 8
If you look at the sistitics in terms of percentage I am sure you will find just as many white people are rejected as black people.
Reply 9
amazingtrade
If you look at the sistitics in terms of percentage I am sure you will find just as many white people are rejected as black people.

Quite right. Racism is almost a thing of the past as far as rejecting people goes. I do say almost though. Sadly it is still around in some areas of life.
Reply 10
Sire
Quite right. Racism is almost a thing of the past as far as rejecting people goes. I do say almost though. Sadly it is still around in some areas of life.

Racism still exists but it is not as bad as its made out to be. Its all to easy to blame everything on racism.
Reply 11
amazingtrade
Racism still exists but it is not as bad as its made out to be. Its all to easy to blame everything on racism.

Never was a truer word spoken.
well, i will tell u what....ristol right now is really screwed up............well, i am having some probs. too.But i do not think if they have racial discrimination involved.
amazingtrade

Actually percntage of white rejections is probably more. Cambridge is making a real push to increase it's black student population, but the problem isn't in our admission policy, its in the fact that black people do crap at school. This is mainly because the large proportion of black people go to inner city schools, and these are inevitably the schools at the bottom of the league tables.
However, someone like yourself with good grades would not have had this problem, so it may well have come down to eithera dodge interview, or the fact there were other people (white, black asian, chinese) who were better than you.
J
Reply 14
foolfarian
Actually percntage of white rejections is probably more. Cambridge is making a real push to increase it's black student population, but the problem isn't in our admission policy, its in the fact that black people do crap at school. This is mainly because the large proportion of black people go to inner city schools, and these are inevitably the schools at the bottom of the league tables.
However, someone like yourself with good grades would not have had this problem, so it may well have come down to eithera dodge interview, or the fact there were other people (white, black asian, chinese) who were better than you.
J

I went to an inner city in school in Moss Side were it was probably about 25%-30% black, it was 60% ethnic minority so white people were in fact the minority.

Out of the 9 people in 1999 that left with 5- A*-CS (I was one of them) only one of them was black and she was a girl. Its quite a sad situation.

Also there are more black people in Prison in the UK than they are in university (source Guardian). On my course for example out of 90 people there are only two black people on it. I am not sure what the answer is but somthing needs to change.
amazingtrade
I went to an inner city in school in Moss Side were it was probably about 25%-30% black, it was 60% ethnic minority so white people were in fact the minority.

Out of the 9 people in 1999 that left with 5- A*-CS (I was one of them) only one of them was black and she was a girl. Its quite a sad situation.

Also there are more black people in Prison in the UK than they are in university (source Guardian). On my course for example out of 90 people there are only two black people on it. I am not sure what the answer is but somthing needs to change.

indeed, but my point is its not at the university level that things are going wrong. Its at the school level.
It doesnt help that their parents will be poorly educated too. You'll find that most black students in university have educated/middle class parents.
J
Reply 16
foolfarian
indeed, but my point is its not at the university level that things are going wrong. Its at the school level.
It doesnt help that their parents will be poorly educated too. You'll find that most black students in university have educated/middle class parents.
J

Yeah that was what I was refering to when things need to change. I guess the problem is probably that there are more black people living in inner city areas than white. Not many white people from these areas will probably to go university either.

At my school there wasn't any push for academic success. University wasn't important, polishing your CV so you could get that all important job as McDonalds cleaner was.
Reply 17
Maybe it's cos you were in before the oxbridge deadline and that put bristol off!
PuffDaddy

At GCSE which i think are a complete wait of time and insult to my intelligence, i scored 4A*, 4A's and 2 B's.

If they are such a waste of time and an insult to your intelligence, how come you didn't get 10A*s?

Unfortunately it is all too easy to blame rejection from university on the colour of your skin. Perhaps it came across in your personal statement that you were slightly arrogant, which i do not mean in a derogatory way. University applications are now unfortunately a total lottery. I am similar to you grades-wise, and like you only have two acceptances so far, having been rejected by both my first and second choices.

Is it because I am white? I don't think so. It is more likely to be because of my B in Theatre Studies AS, or the fact that I applied before the Oxbridge deadline, even though i wasn't an Oxbridge applicant, or a whole host of other reasons, of which i have no inkling. You may think it is unfair that they've rejected you, but you have to take rejections in life and not blame it on the colour of your skin. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Reply 19
How would uni's (other than Cam) have known that you are black?

Latest

Trending

Trending