Turn on thread page Beta

Is It Because I'm Black?..no..im Being Serious watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    How would uni's (other than Cam) have known that you are black?

Maybe because it asked you to sate ethinic origin on ucas form, or maybe because of my surname being African.

(Original post by PuffDaddy)
    Maybe because it asked you to sate ethinic origin on ucas form, or maybe because of my surname being African.
    they only have it on the form so that they can check numbers applying.
    Its hardly like they have
    Are you black, white, asian...
    Do you have a criminal conviction

Saying that, my best friend accidently put yes to the criminal conviction and was very upset when newcastle called her up asking what she had a conviction for.
    Cambridge for some reason didnt pick up on it...
    J

ReputationRep:
    it's because you like puff daddy.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with waiting2smile, i think she's been quite harsh but puffdaddy is overreacting, ne way helping waiting2smile who's depressed, and is gonna cry, can someone help her. I feel bad, i think u can be of some help if you sat some exam in june 2003 regarding history. alex

ReputationRep:
    waiting2smile gemma somebody sed go on the edexcel website, that'll help you, wherever u r, nice tlking 2 u!

ReputationRep:
    Look man you sound like an arrogant git, straighten up and accept it wasn't ur skin colour that was the deciding factor, cheer up and think positively about life rather than blaming it on racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    How would uni's (other than Cam) have known that you are black?
    exactly, i wanted to ask u the same question...........probably u r a bit misled !!!

ReputationRep:
    The places where you have applied are all top league uni's - the reason you probably got rejected from Bristol is because they might have thought you were an Oxbridge candidate (which you were). Lots of the uni's like Bristol don't like giving offers to too many candidates who they think may have applied to Oxbridge (especially for popular courses)because if you do get an offer from oxbridge then you are more likely to take the Oxbridge offer and turn Bristol down (meaning somebody they rejected could have had an offer). Also with high amounts of applicants, some are just unlucky, and unfortunately on this occasion you ar ejust one of the unlucky ones.

ReputationRep:
    Its easy to blame being rejected on being black. Face the ACTUAL reason why you didnt get in ... YOU WERENT GOOD ENOUGH! I got rejected from Cambridge too, but Im not saying 'Is it cos I am white?' Im finding that black people make a bigger deal out of race than white people. Its not an issue anymore! Stop trying to use it as an excuse for failure!

Im not generalising to 'all' black people here ... its just starting to get a bit annoying ...

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed alot of positive discrimination now.

ReputationRep:
    aparently cambridge like west coast lovers while oxford like east coast lovers.....u should have either applied oxford or said u like 2pac or Dre instead of 'p' diddy......

ReputationRep:
    I dont mean to be rude but i just want to say that it really annoys me when people say stuff like this. You have no reason to think that they rejected you because of your race at all. Maybe you just werent good enough? Maybe you interview wasnt as good as you thought? Maybe you dont have fantastic extra curricular activities, or maybe your personal statement was poor? If i got rejected from somewhere i would never think 'maybe they rejected me cos im slightly spotty', or 'maybe they rejected me cos my hair is ginger'! Erghh! I dont understand why this would even cross your mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    'Is it cos I am white?' Im finding that black people make a bigger deal out of race than white people.
    Errrr, did you ever consider why that might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If you look at the sistitics in terms of percentage I am sure you will find just as many white people are rejected as black people.
    LOL I did hear something the other day though about an article that says there are more black people in prison then at Universities in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    LOL I did hear something the other day though about an article that says there are more black people in prison then at Universities in the UK.
    Aye, it's in the guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    My sister's friend, who's black got accepted into Oxford to do law, and she didn't have as brilliant GCSE grades and she only had 3 A Levels at A grades...
    i was more along the lines of being coloured maybe an advantage!

i am sure jools said something similar. its to do with the pressure oxbridge and good uni's r under to accept people of different ethjnicty to white.

i hope it isnt true, but i can see some logic in it if they r pressured and criticized for acepting too many stereotyped applicants.

and yes, LSE is a top, top uni and if u get a couple of B grades and get rejected then you cant really blame it on them.

i am not saying ur grades r bad, people with ur grades do very often get accepted into LSE, but i am just saying that people hav been rejected with even better grades.

and as for the maths thing, yes, i think an A in maths would really have helped. economics does hav a fair proportion of maths in it - and when i say maths, i mean calculus e.g.) differentiation type of stuff.

sorry to hear ur rejections though m8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    i am sure jools said something similar. its to do with the pressure oxbridge and good uni's r under to accept people of different ethjnicty to white.
    Look at the statistics:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2003-4/supps/entry.pdf

Whilst having identical A-Level grades, the success rate for white students is up to 3 times more than other groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Look at the statistics:

Whilst having identical A-Level grades, the success rate for white students is up to 3 times more than other groups.
    OMG.

i dont want to be controversial, but surely 3 times more, if the grades r the same (which they must b if they r applyin to ox).

it seems a bit over the top.
    indian only got 23%.......nooo!

ReputationRep:
    The statistics do look incredibly unfair. According to something I was reading in the Guardian there are only 84 black students at Cambridge, can this be right? It seems incredibly small. There's a TV programme about it on Wednesday evening on BBC2 I think.

Maybe we can't blame the universities however. It could be a much wider social problem. Maybe the more successful applicants (and they are not all white, although most of them are. Groups like the Chinese also do well) are more confident and articulate. It is also more likely that they will have university educated parents and this is an advantage. It could be a class issue more than a racial one, although this is no better. We cannot however blame it all on universities. Maybe we do need positive discrimination, to even out the playing field. I believe the problem is much wider than university bias.

Exactly the same argument is going on all over the forum, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what someone else has already said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Look at the statistics:

That is sad. Does this mean to say that people aren't allowing those without white skin to be successful in todays modern society? Whatever happened to 'right man for the job'? I know that I'd take the qualifications over something as petty as bloody skin colour any day. And have I might add. Then again its only McDonald's and the grease they serve, but I still wanted people with some aptitude when I had to do my spate of hiring.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2004
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.