Turn on thread page Beta

Is It Because I'm Black?..no..im Being Serious watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Look at the statistics:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2003-4/supps/entry.pdf

Whilst having identical A-Level grades, the success rate for white students is up to 3 times more than other groups.
    A-Level grades aren't everything you know. You say it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Errrr, did you ever consider why that might be?
    Its not an issue anymore ... well not for the majority of this country anyway. Some black people make such a big deal out of race, and then scream racism when they dont get accepted into Cambridge University. Its becoming a little tiring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Its not an issue anymore ... well not for the majority of this country anyway. Some black people make such a big deal out of race, and then scream racism when they dont get accepted into Cambridge University. Its becoming a little tiring.
    I think historically it's fair to say that white people have made "a much bigger deal" about race than blacks. Perhaps it's not an issue for you, but for a black population who as one poster has already pointed out sees more of their community in prison than they do in university I think it's certainly an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I think historically it's fair to say that white people have made "a much bigger deal" about race than blacks. Perhaps it's not an issue for you, but for a black population who as one poster has already pointed out sees more of their community in prison than they do in university I think it's certainly an issue.
    I think the problem is more to with poverty amongst black people due to the way this stupid society works. Black people probably find it harder to get jobs at the lower end of the job market as well causing lots of poverty.

This is partly due to poor education and it seems to be an endless loop. I saw a programme on TV a few months ago where this troubled black kid was move into a middle class family and sent a private school. His achievements from predicted not to pass any GCSE's at all suddently raised to B's and C's.

I don't think those Oxford statistics are due to racism but its probably just that the black people applying could come from poorer backgrounds (which is still wrong)

Personaly I think the only information the universties should be given other than your grades and personal statement is your sex and age. Aslongs as they have your UCAS number the universties won't need to know your name until they have been a decision. This way if they don't know your age and sex it would be very hard to desriminate.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Puff daddy, wer r u from? My m8 is propa brainy, predicted 4 A's and he sed his interview at Cambridge went really well but he recently found out that that he didnt get in. Wer from newcastle and peops r sayin thats y he didnt get in (?) x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    I am damn pi**ed off.
    Sent my ucas form off on the 30th of october, i've applied to read economics at Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE and Cambridge.
    At GCSE which i think are a complete wait of time and insult to my intelligence, i scored 4A*, 4A's and 2 B's.
    At AS I scored 3 grade A's and 2 B's (Economics-A, Geography-A, French-A, Mathematics-B, Chemistry-B). Predicted 4 A's at A-level (dropped chemistry)
    Very soon after i applied i was horrified to learn that Bristol had rejected me, why they did this i am itching to find out.
    So far i have offers from Nottingham and Edingburgh.
    Oh yeh, my interview at Cambridge went well and i am not being big headed but they found my arguments very interesting and i could feel a good vibe. But at the admissions interview the tutor (who i will not name) was not at all interested in what i had to say, didnt listen to me or even make bleeding eye contact. He was so damn stuck up, yo know when you can seriously tell someone doesnt like you, well i felt that.
    Consequently i was rejected ( no surprise there).
    Well too bad for LSE that i'm not a foreign student so they'll probably reject me as well.
    It it because i am black????????

Now i'm just waiting for warwick but i dont know which 1 i'd choose as 1st choice if LSE reject me (assuming warwick will have me).
    What do you guys think, and why?
    My only requirements are that my university has a good enough rep to propel me to top level finance in the city and that i will also have a good time while im at it.
    you got offers from Nottingham and Edinburgh....is it because you are black??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    OUCH! Good point, the pendulum effect is certainly in force in some areas. That is to say that the benefits never seem to meet half way immediately. It does take time.

ReputationRep:
    A-Level grades aren't everything you know. You say it yourself.
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...111897,00.html

ReputationRep:
    You missed my point.

Im saying that a level grades dont necessarily mean you will get into Cambridge. I got 4 As at AS but Im not bitter about getting rejected. There were obviously people better than me, and thats fine. The bloke who started this thread actually go lower grades than I did, but Im not shouting 'They didn't pick me cos Im white'.

Its up to the interview, and no matter how good your grades are you are either good at interviews or not. Just because more white people get into uni with the same grades as black people, doesn't indicate racism. It may indicate that white people are better (for want of a better word) in the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! Stop your whinging and accept that you cant play the racism card this time.

ReputationRep:
    You missed my point.

Im saying that a level grades dont necessarily mean you will get into Cambridge. I got 4 As at AS but Im not bitter about getting rejected. There were obviously people better than me, and thats fine. The bloke who started this thread actually go lower grades than I did, but Im not shouting 'They didn't pick me cos Im white'.

Its up to the interview, and no matter how good your grades are you are either good at interviews or not. Just because more white people get into uni with the same grades as black people, doesn't indicate racism. It may indicate that white people are better (for want of a better word) in the interviews.
    I agree totally that it's all about the interview rather than grades. Regarding white people being 'better' in the interview, it was suggested by a union co-chair that admissions tutors see different reactions & behaviour to he/she in authority by certain groups as a sign of weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I agree totally that it's all about the interview rather than grades. Regarding white people being 'better' in the interview, it was suggested by a union co-chair that admissions tutors see different reactions & behaviour to he/she in authority by certain groups as a sign of weakness.
    Possibly ... but I don't think its as big an issue as people make out. I trust the admissions tutors years of experience in teaching - they know what type of students get the best results, and they select them.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly ... but I don't think its as big an issue as people make out. I trust the admissions tutors years of experience in teaching - they know what type of students get the best results, and they select them.
    i agree. welcome to Club Vienna.

ReputationRep:
    I trust the admissions tutors years of experience in teaching - they know what type of students get the best results, and they select them.
    This opens up a whole new can of worms - at Cambridge only 3.1% of black students got a 1st compared to the average of 20%+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    This opens up a whole new can of worms - at Cambridge only 3.1% of black students got a 1st compared to the average of 20%+
    is that a can of Quotas by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    The statistics do look incredibly unfair. According to something I was reading in the Guardian there are only 84 black students at Cambridge, can this be right? It seems incredibly small.
    On face value that looks sad and unfair, but think of the proportion of black/white students in the country - then it looks more sensible. Actually scratch what i just wrote, how many places are there at cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Is that an average of 20% at cambridge or at all universities?
    It's obviously more difficult for anyone to get a 1st at Oxbridge than anyone else, because there is more competition, so i'm not quite sure what your saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PuffDaddy)
    Very soon after i applied i was horrified to learn that Bristol had rejected me, why they did this i am itching to find out.
    So far i have offers from Nottingham and Edingburgh.
    So I suppose Bristol and Cambridge didn't like the colour of your skin, but Nottingham and Edinburgh were more than happy to give you offers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Im not being racist, but why are excuses continually being implied.

Boys grades at high school are worse than girls, but that isnt blamed on sexism, and boys being discriminated against.

The blame is that on the whole, boys are worse at exams than girls. SIMPLE.

ReputationRep:
    i agree. welcome to Club Vienna.
    Ive still yet to turn into a Tory ;-)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2004
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.