Is It Because I'm Black?..no..im Being Serious Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I haven't bothered reading the whole thread becaue it's so old, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cambridge rejected you because of your B in AS maths rather than anything else. They seem to take maths very seriously for reading Economics at Cambridge, I think they even like to see further maths, so a low grade in Maths will have worried them.
Don't know about bristol or anywhere else though

Alaric.
That B grade would have mattered. No offence meant but lots of people applying to read economics have A grades at AS maths, and many also have further mathematics. Economics is highly mathematical, and you'll find many universities stating that A-Level maths is now a pre-requisite for an economics degree.
seana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PuffDaddy)
erm..this thread died years ago, deal with it baby girl.
I hate when people go back and dig up old threads, how did you even find this, did you search through my history or something?
No I was actually searching for a caribbean link and the thread came up... but i had to respond as your arguments were utterly amazing!!

what you dont understand is that the idology of racism still lingers on even after 400 years of slavery...but other factors do contribute to obstacles that we encounter and we have to be cognizant of that.

with a statement like yours, you are helping to reinforce the negative view of blackness in the society by inferring that you were rejected on that basis...

we can never fully emancipate if we still believe in the system that initiated subjugation

your thread died years ago but was resurrected as racism tho current is not the end of the success of blacks!!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well i didn't red most of the thread but all i know is my mate is 100% Black and he's doing Economics and Cambridge...
I don't think its got anything to do with race. i don't think If a White man who got 5 As get rejected 'd call it racism.
seana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
well i didn't red most of the thread but all i know is my mate is 100% Black and he's doing Economics and Cambridge...
I don't think its got anything to do with race. i don't think If a White man who got 5 As get rejected 'd call it racism.
seana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
i agree i know alot of black oxbridge grads. no longer can we use racism to buffer our shortcomings in all cases!!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by seana)
i agree i know alot of black oxbridge grads. no longer can we use racism to buffer our shortcomings in all cases!!
...TRUE..some people ey.......
seana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
...TRUE..some people ey.......
i have done quite abit of research on racism and race relations both in the past and present day society i know currently that subtly racism does exist as blacks progress in the society. not everyone accepts equality among the races h/w this ideology is no excuse for complacency among blacks or to use the issue for our own convenience...many have struggled for freedom and equality and we do not honour their memory by posting a thread like this one!!
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PuffDaddy)
But at the admissions interview the tutor (who i will not name) was not at all interested in what i had to say, didnt listen to me or even make bleeding eye contact. He was so damn stuck up, yo know when you can seriously tell someone doesnt like you, well i felt that.
Lots of them do that to see how you cope under pressure. I'm white nd was applyin for Physics and this lady who was testing me on my maths sat there with her arms folded glaring at me as if to say "why havent u worked out tht problem yet?!". when i asked for help she looked pissed off nd made me feel v.small and gave some snide comment about why hadnt i considered a suc h and such series before syaing what i should do next which i didnt find helpful! after getting her to "grunt" several more comments I started to get the idea, only to be told "that's wrong!". they do it to test you and see if you can cope under pressure. it wasn't because you were black.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads