Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered from insomnia for years- and i have seriously never found anything that helps. it comes and goes- and anything that stresses me out at all makes it go a lot worse, so as a result i have done so many exams after just a couple of hours sleep.... it sucks, but i' kinda used to it. what gets to me most is the emotional side, i literally work myself into a state of exhaustion where something will happen and i'll end up in tears and literally just collapse and make myself ill. but i can kinda tell when that is going to happen and maybe have a couple of days of doing very little to prevent it.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    So, you pictured the word "sleep" for near to 5 months. Are you able to have dreams?
    No, I suffered for 5 months and took Ambian for 1 week at the beginning of the month and after the 5 days of Ambian I started picturing the word "sleep" about a week and 1/2n ago and its worked every night since.

ReputationRep:
    I can never get to sleep for about 2-3 hours after ive gone to bed and then i find that i wake up at certain times in the morning e.g. 4 and then i cant sleep until about 6, and then i dose of into a deep sleep, which is great because i wake up normally at 6.45 and i tend to wake up exhausted.

ReputationRep:
    I can not sleep at all. I'm so restless. it on average takes me about 1 1/2 hours to gett to sleep by then its so late. I always painc at nitght never in the day. I'm always so headachie because of the lack of sleep and it effects my concentration so much its terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fixedmysleep)
    I think I just found a way out of my insomnia. Quick background- my first bout of insomnia occurred about 6 years ago, during my first semester of law school & a very stressful time. It took months to go away. Nothing for 6 years until I traveled to the UK in Sept. 2003 & had sever problems adjusting to the time change. I had trouble sleeping upon my return but I know it was made worse by my own anxiety over it. I've read books on how to solve it & tried tons of different mind games on myself. I tried relaxation techniques including picturing something peaceful as I was trying to drift off- no help. Finally, I found my own solution. I took Ambien for 5 days, just to get my system used to falling asleep. Then, once my body remembered what it was like to fall asleep, I tried my own mind game. As I tried to drift off, instead of picturing something concrete, like a peaceful lakeside retreat for relaxation, I simply pictured the word "sleep" in my mind. Every time my mind turned to something else, even something seemingly innocuous, I returned to picturing the word "sleep." I pictured it in print, being typed on a screen, in script, you name it. Nothing but the word "sleep." I also sometimes said it in my head. Nothing but that word. I think it must be a method of self-hypnosis or something, but it worked like a charm & has worked every night since then! I know how frustrating & maddening insomnia can be- this last bout lasted from Sept. 2003 to Jan 2004. Hope this helps some one & if it does, let me know! Good luck & sweet dreams.
    Yes the noise thing happens to me! But only because I find the silence too scary.

ReputationRep:
    y'all should go on that show shattered. they pay people not to sleep

(Original post by boygenious)
    y'all should go on that show shattered. they pay people not to sleep
    Insomnia isn't just not sleeping though. I suffer really badly at time and I can tell you I get to sleep fine - just not in the right places. My parisitology lectures are the hardest thing. I fall asleep every bloody time.
    Also i generally dont get to sleep till 3.30/4 in the morning, and then feel like hell if i have to get up before 10.
    J

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was an insomniac, I'm trying but its hard.

(Original post by phreek)
    u get used to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    No you don't. Sure there are varying degrees of insomnia, but when you regularly can't sleep and as in the case of lou p lou, you begin to find yourself susceptible to unwarranted breakdowns of a sort, then you'll be praying that you could just go to bed and be off with the fairies as soon as your head hits the pillow. After a few days it feels as though you're completely drunk, and yes you seem to find some of the strangest things amusing. Making you look like a complete tosser nine times out of ten.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.