Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate ne advice, got an offer at Cambridge to study law, but now i really feel that i want to take a gap year, but didn't when i applied. What should i do? Forget about the gap year and go strait to uni? are they over-rated like my parents are trying to convice me? Should i ask the college whether they can still defer my entry or would that make me seem pretty stupid?

Please help!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karim)
    Would appreciate ne advice, got an offer at Cambridge to study law, but now i really feel that i want to take a gap year, but didn't when i applied. What should i do? Forget about the gap year and go strait to uni? are they over-rated like my parents are trying to convice me? Should i ask the college whether they can still defer my entry or would that make me seem pretty stupid?

Please help!!!!!!
    I'd e-mail the admission tutor at the college , and ask him if it is possible for you to defer your entry. Try to tell him politely that you would like to take a gap year but would still want to join the college afterwards.
    If you really have made your mind up about taking a gap year, and the reply from the admissions tutor was negative, then take a gap year, apply to a different college and pray they don't knw wha you did the year before .. Or alternatively apply to oxford!
    If the reply was positive, then go out n party...!

I would try to be as careful as possible in writing the letter. The admissions tutor is a normal man afterall, but you dont want to take your chances...

i hope i helped ,
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I wouldnt bother - Id go to Cambridge...youll have long holidays and you are only there for three years in total so you could always travel afterwards. If you were doing medicine or Vet Med I could possibly see the point as you will be studying intensively for 5 years. I would grab the opportunity at cambridge with both hands - otherwise you may regret it.

ReputationRep:
    You gotta remember that law is the most popular degree in the country so there are an awful lot of applicants, especially to somehwere like Cambridge. Gap years really aren't that great so just go for Cambridge then you can go travelling once you've finished.

ReputationRep:
    you can ask the college now if you can defer for a year. someone I know decided a few weeks before he was due to start economics at cam that he wanted a gap year and the college let him go the next year.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for the advice, think i will email them to see if it is still possible to take a gap year, if i don't i think i'll always regret not asking

if they say no i reckon i'll still take the place, it wouldn't be worth taking one if it meant losing a cambridge place

now checking and double checking the wording of my email!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you can defer your place. They might ask what you are planning to do. Careful though as if you change your mind it might be difficult to bring the admission year forward, as presumably they will have filled the quota up.

Good luck, gap years rule (I am on one!).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.