Maths for Cambridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
Goldenratio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi there!
What am I looking to write for a Maths PS for Cambridge only. That's the only uni i'm applying for... I think.

I'm starting my MMath at Notts in September but want to start again at Cambs again next year.

Cheers
Spenceman_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you should definitely explain your position - ie how you ended up doing a year at Nottingham, but the main thing is just to convey a real passion for the subject...show that you really really want to do maths and that you want to be challenged and stretched - mention books of mathematical interest you've read and what not. I must say though, I've never heard of anyone who's done a year of uni somewhere else and then gone to Cambridge but then you've nothing to lose so why not I suppose. You must have written a PS already so it's not like you need to be told how to write them...don't get caught up thinking that it has to be different in style JUST because its Cambridge...it may end up being different in style but don't deviate from what comes naturally.
Manifest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol, you really wanna go cam? good luck! But why?

manifest
Goldenratio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manifest)
lol, you really wanna go cam? good luck! But why?

manifest
Cheers!
To be mentally stretched and rise to the challenge of the best maths course in the world. Apart from that I love the city.
Goldenratio
Rep:
?
I'm writing my PS now. What is it though that the Cambridge Admissions officers want to hear?
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be honest with you, I think that the choice is a bit of a silly one. University work can be whatever you make of it wherever you study. Being released from notts and sorting out the financial spiel will be more effort than it's worth. Just do the course at notts, and if you're good then do post-grad at Cambridge.

MB
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Goldenratio)
I'm writing my PS now. What is it though that the Cambridge Admissions officers want to hear?
Unlike most other Admissions tutors @ other unis, they aint so much intersted in what you say to them, so save ur breath. Just cover the main stuff (1.you love maths, 2. you have a life 3.you are determined and will finish the course)

What they are intersted is ur ability to do the STEP paper, so it maybe worth mentioning if you have taken the STEP last year? if not,then why?

- You could say you have had a looked at it in summer and realized that you could actually do most of the questions (they will grill you in the interview) thats why u decided to re-apply?

- Have a look at the olympiads questions, ooh cambridge likes those people who could do them alright
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed