The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
just got back! Was really good - can definitely recommend Budapest and Prague. Milan was pretty bad though tbh, and amsterdam is SO expensive and not worth it unless you are going for cannabis imho.
Reply 21
hi. just seeing this post - me and my sister are going mid july - mid august and would like some company?
Reply 22
im gonna be interailing from amsterdam round eastern europe and finishing in barcelona between end of july until 22nd august! will be doing some of the journey alone and Im a bit scared!!
tara592
im gonna be interailing from amsterdam round eastern europe and finishing in barcelona between end of july until 22nd august! will be doing some of the journey alone and Im a bit scared!!

wow dude that sounds amazing. Love to do something like that if I had the money. How much is it gonna cost?

And Luke how much will yours cost?
Reply 24
I might be doing something like this around late June / early July.
If some mates fall through I might do a bit solo - would be cool to meet a few people out there though...
Looking at a 5 in 10 pass and doing Berlin 4 days - Vienna 3 days - Bratislava 3 days - Belgrade 3 days - Bucharest 5 days then home or something.
All possible with 5 days of rail use over ten days, whilst getting 18 days away.

5 in 10 days is 149 quid.
Reply 25
La Esmerelda
wow dude that sounds amazing. Love to do something like that if I had the money. How much is it gonna cost?

And Luke how much will yours cost?

hmm i have absolutely no idea to be honest with you!! will take around 1000-1500 euros, but seriously dont want to spend more than 800!
will be trying to do everything as cheaply as possible, like sleeping on the trains as much as i can, and living off bread and water...but want to have the extra money there as a worst case scenario :smile:
tara592
hmm i have absolutely no idea to be honest with you!! will take around 1000-1500 euros, but seriously dont want to spend more than 800!
will be trying to do everything as cheaply as possible, like sleeping on the trains as much as i can, and living off bread and water...but want to have the extra money there as a worst case scenario :smile:

Couch surfing is a way to stay cheap.
I'm thinking of hitchhiking to Amsterdam and then couch surfing to make it really cheap! Interrailing sounds easier though, how much is it?
Reply 27
La Esmerelda
Couch surfing is a way to stay cheap.
I'm thinking of hitchhiking to Amsterdam and then couch surfing to make it really cheap! Interrailing sounds easier though, how much is it?

yeah, i looked on the website at that, but was a bit confused - do you have to pay money to the company?

and OP, if you want to meet up somewhere if we're both in the same place at the same time we can...whats your plan??
Hey guys,

Right, this is such a last minute thing i really really want to interail around europe. BUT, my friends have been let downs saying they have no money etc.. fair enough!! Its a once in a lifetime experiance so i thought.. why not do it this summer!

Is interailing ok to do by urself?? Will it be lonely? Or do you meet lots of people there??

Anways, if anyone needs an interailing buddy let me know :smile:

thankss x
I did it last summer and met several people travelling on their own who met others in a situation like them and joined up. If you start off in a place like Prague and go to a big hostel you're sure to meet other English speaking people who you can join up with.

We joined up with a canadian guy we met for a few weeks before going our seperate ways, was siick. I'm going to visit him this summer now.
It sounds amazing but i am just really worried and weighing up the pro's and con's!!

So if i start at a biggish city, there are bound to be people on the same boat as myself who can travel with?
Deffo, if you're confident enough to talk to strangers who could be from anywhere, then you'll meet loads of people if you stay in big hostels which attract people (preferably look for ones which people your age will be in).
Reply 32
You'll be fine. I'm pretty shy, and I was worrying about all the stuff you are worrying about, but I just went and did it anyway (not Interrail, but travelling alone) and don't regret any of it. I went at Xmas to a smallish city in Germany, it was really quiet but I met/hung out with people, so in summer you are bound to meet plenty of people.

Also going alone means no disagreements with your companions, you can just do whatever you want to do, in your own time. :smile: And you will meet some great people, who will have great stories to tell.

Just go, and have yourself a great time. I'm going to a Goethe Institute this summer, but I'm really tempted to stay a bit longer and do some Interrailing myself. :biggrin:
I think im a really friendly girl, who trys and gets along with everyone but there is something stopping me taking the plunge!! Ahhhh id love to just book it now but im scared :s-smilie:
cnsbabe1189
I think im a really friendly girl, who trys and gets along with everyone but there is something stopping me taking the plunge!! Ahhhh id love to just book it now but im scared :s-smilie:

Do it, you'll discover a lot about yourself, and you're probably just a bit scared of the unknown traveling alone! Once you do it, you'll want to time and time again.
Reply 35
tara592
okay so Im planning to interail round europe, doing the 22 days continuous travel. As I have never been travelling alone before, was just wondering if anyone has any advice about where to go, how much money to take, what to pack - just everything there is to know!
I'm planning to do amsterdam-berlin-prague-budapest-split-trieste-venice-nice-barcelona which I know is quite ambitious, but Im just going to see how it goes!
also how 'safe' is it for an 18 year old girl to go travelling around europe on her own? considering I can only speak very basic french!

so who else is going? and what are all your plans?!

Wow im in the exact same position as you: 18 girl, planning to go amsterdam, berlin, poland, prague, budapest, split, zagreb, corfu, strasbourg, paris. Its supposed to be around 30 euros per day but i'm not sure if this includes interrail. How are your parents with this idea of you travelling alone? I am thinking mine will not be so willing to let me go alone.
Reply 36
urmmm they seem to have accepted Im going, although I am planning to meet up with my friend in germany there, and she might be doing some of the journey with me. But obviously they want me to stay in contact every day!!
I think it helped that my uncle went when he was younger though :smile:
If you're travelling around the same time as me, let me know and we could meet up if you want!
Reply 37
You only live once - if it is something you want to do, do it. It will be an amazing experience. I travelled alone last summer and found in a way it was better than travelling with friends because I made all these new friends along the way. You should test yourself - see what you're capable of. If you're a really friendly girl, trust me, it'll be amazing.

Cannot say it strongly enoguh: gooooo! :biggrin: :biggrin:
cnsbabe1189

No No No...Don't get scared. Do it.

I did the Inter rail thing when I was 19. It was a great experience. Once in a life time. I was thinking about doing something similar this summer again.

It can get a bit lonely when you are training by yourself BUT.....when you get to new places and new cities then it is great fun. Just make sure you pick a good hostel which you know attracts a lot of different people and then you have loads of fun.

and yeh...like the above poster says you can meet loads of people on the way.

Though, I have actually read since that if you are not going to loads and loads of cities then you don't really need an inter rail ticket and you can buy the tickets at the stations which could be cheaper.

I am also a guy. So perhaps there is the safety factor as a girl going on her own...But when I was travelling I met several women who were also travelling by themselves. One woman had traveled for 6 months by herself. So it is possible.
Heyy guys,

My friend and i have finally decided to go interrailing,
ive made this thread so that fellow interrailers and i can get lots of advice and tips from peoples previous experiances ..

soo yehhh, please tell all..

whats the best places to go, the worst and the damn right expensive..

thankssss :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest