The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

I went for a month, it was amazing! I did, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berling, Prague, Vienna, Florence, Rome and Paris. I didn't go that far East so can't help on that front, but make sure you don't need to buy a seat as well, as in Italy I got fined as I didn't realise that we couldn't get on any train (my fault for not checking this before hand).

Prague is amazing, and so cheap, it deserves a good few nights there.
i went interrailing last summer for 3 weeks, i went to amterdam, berlin, pargue, vienna, venice, rome, florence and milan. definately visit prague it is absolutely amazingg! cant help on the eastern european travelling, but i have been to split and it was amazing so worth a visit and always nice to finish by the sea!
Reply 1162
Thanks for your replies! So it seems Prague is a must visit.

Would very much like to end on by the adriatic coast of Split but not sure if there's enough time to travel from Berlin to there in just 16 days. Think we may be needing a good 3 weeks for that...
I'm doing it using the 5 in 10 day pass, from Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Salzburg - Venice - Florence - Rome, but paying for the Florence to Rome train journey seperately, and paying a supplement between Salzburg and Venice. It actually only works out about £40 extra to the interrail pass to do this. :smile:
Hi

I cannot reccomend eastern places enough. Krakow-Prague-Budapest-Zagreb and maybe even Ljubljana would be great places to visit. Even further you could also hit the likes of Cluj, (Transylvania) Belgrade, Sarajevo & Skopja.

Split/Dubrovnik can be a problem due to the Croatian rail system so you might have to bus it from Zagreb.

I seriously cannot reccomend Ljubljana and Budapest enough- been twice to both and they just brilliant.

In terms of the actualy travelling etc journeys can be a wee bit longer than the eastern places but you have no reservations etc to pay- just flash your interrailpass.

If you want some great deals id check out interrailingpackages. They have pre-created trips that you just follow and book top accommadation which also helps
Reply 1165
Original post by TheRandomer
Glad you're having fun! Keep us updated with how you're getting on :biggrin: Did you try any currywurst? :P

I did and it was actually pretty good!

Currently in lake bled right now. It really is quite beautiful.

It's funny how so many people have enjoyed Ljubljana as while it was decent, it has been my least favourite so far as there really isn't that much to do there.

When are you heading out?
What do people about money, in terms of are you best to use a debit or credit card or travlelers cheques or prepaid cards? I've only ever been abroad once before and that was with scouts so stuff like money was very controlled. I know some of the hotels only accept creditcards (some places you can stay in a **** hotel for the same cost as a hostel but atleast you get a private room). I was thinking bring debit card and take large sums out at cash machines and splitting up, but that still has the risks of walking round with £100 on you!
Reply 1167
Original post by donal842006
Hi

I cannot reccomend eastern places enough. Krakow-Prague-Budapest-Zagreb and maybe even Ljubljana would be great places to visit. Even further you could also hit the likes of Cluj, (Transylvania) Belgrade, Sarajevo & Skopja.

Split/Dubrovnik can be a problem due to the Croatian rail system so you might have to bus it from Zagreb.

I seriously cannot reccomend Ljubljana and Budapest enough- been twice to both and they just brilliant.

In terms of the actualy travelling etc journeys can be a wee bit longer than the eastern places but you have no reservations etc to pay- just flash your interrailpass.

If you want some great deals id check out interrailingpackages. They have pre-created trips that you just follow and book top accommadation which also helps

Split is absolutely fine from Zagreb. Excellent rail link. Dubrovnik is not connected by train.
Reply 1168
Original post by pizzle223
Lucky you! Sadly in my stupidity I forgot to mention that I'm going in July, not June!

You going at it alone? I am.

Ah fair enough! No there are six of us going, should be a good crack!
A friend and I (both 18 and male) are planning on setting off around Europe in a week or so. We haven't booked anywhere. The idea is to just head off into Europe with an interrailing pass and see what happens. We intend to stay until we run out of money or find ourselves really not enjoying it.

We have a vague plan of going from London to Amsterdam to Berlin to Prague to Bratislava to Budapest to Zagreb to Munich to Cologne and then back home. This is most likely going to change though and we'll probably add other destinations.

I have a few questions:

We'll both have £2000-£2500. How long do you think this will last? (We'll be going out pretty regularly but may do some cultural things as well)

Is it an extremely bad idea not to book anything?

Is it possible to book trains very last minute with an Interrail pass?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers :smile:
Reply 1170
Hi everyone!
I'm looking at train reservations and kind of freaking out a bit. The Amsterdam- Paris one is costing 40euros according to Raildude. As its a short journey I was planning to do it in the morning and check into my hostel... because of the fee I looked at more drawn out overnight routes, but they leave me stranded at awkward times like from 11pm-5am...!

This, in combination with some of the other reservations is going to add A LOT of unforseen expense into my buget, I'm really not sure what to do. I haven't bought my interrail pass yet (but I have booked most of my accomodation), I was thinking about a 22 day pas, but because of these ridiculous reservation costs now I'm considering getting a shorter pass and trying to do more of the journey by coach or something like that. Can anyone give me some advice please???
Hi i have to say i think its mad heading off and having nothing booked.

Part of the best experience interrailing is staying in the hostels where you meet so many people.

Heading off with nothing booked i think you will end up staying in pretty rubbish hostels which i think will bore you to tears after a bit.

Trains are no problem at all particularly in the eastern cities where you can just hop on and off as you please and flash your interrail pass.

hostelworld is the best place to reserve hostels for your trip and if youre looking something better organised id try interrailingpackages.

Part of the best experience interrailing is staying in the hostels where you meet so many people.

Heading off with nothing booked i think you will end up staying in pretty rubbish hostels which i think will bore you to tears after a bit.

Trains are no problem at all particularly in the eastern cities where you can just hop on and off as you please and flash your interrail pass.

hostelworld is the best place to reserve hostels for your trip and if youre looking something better organised id try interrailingpackages.

Why? You can stay in the decent hostels as well even if you haven't pre-booked them.

I've been around Australia living to a fixed itinery with pre-booked hostels, flights, tours etc. And while that was good, it didn't give me the freedom and flexibility to suddenly change my plans and go to another place.

The great thing about Europe is it has great connection links. So if your flexible with your schedule, ie you have no pre-booked hostels, no connecting flights booked, you can go where ever you want.

How is it mad? it's so much more exciting and adventurous when it's unplanned, when you can just hop on a train and see where you end up. It allows way more freedom and flexibility than sticking to a pre-planned/booked itinery. I've done the whole pre-planning/booking trip before and it wasn't for me. We all travel in our own unique way, the way we prefer.. and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Personally all I've booked for my 4 week trip is my flight out and a few nights in a hostel, and that's it.. and that's all I'm doing until the day I move on from Krakow.

I agree that hostels play an important part in travels though, but saying that if you don't pre-book you'll end up in rubbish ones is ridiculous. Oh, and hostelbookers is far cheaper/better than hostelworld :smile:
Spent the last few hours going through this thread and the advice is invaluable.

Flying to Budapest on the 5th of July, staying for 3 nights at home made hostel, then train to Lake Balaton where I'll check that out for a few days. Then maybe Zagreb but am just going to wing it. Seems the people who just wing it have the most fun. Belgrade, Mostar and Sarajevo look like musts. As does Macedonia.

Any final tips or words of wisdom
Original post by neddricofthetenth
Spent the last few hours going through this thread and the advice is invaluable.

Flying to Budapest on the 5th of July, staying for 3 nights at home made hostel, then train to Lake Balaton where I'll check that out for a few days. Then maybe Zagreb but am just going to wing it. Seems the people who just wing it have the most fun. Belgrade, Mostar and Sarajevo look like musts. As does Macedonia.

Any final tips or words of wisdom

Have fun mate
I have to say that booking places in advance is definitely a good idea in major western European countries - I've been finding while booking mine that tons of places are already fully booked, and I'm actually finding it kind of difficult (with the use of the almighty internets) to find anywhere without fleas/leaky ceilings/miles out of town, haha. I think in the lesser ventured places (i.e. futher east or just less touristy destinations) you should be fine though. Like you said it's all part of the amazing adventure and having the freedom to roam about is the point of the interrail pass after all :smile:

Edit: Does anyone have good suggestions for places to stay in Rome please?
I have been here for two days (okay, three, I haven't slept yet). I want to live in Berlin. Do the Sandemans free walking tours wherever they are. Other free walking tours are probably similar, I'd imagine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by takethyfacehence
I have been here for two days (okay, three, I haven't slept yet). I want to live in Berlin. Do the Sandemans free walking tours wherever they are. Other free walking tours are probably similar, I'd imagine.

Eeep I love Berlin so much, so jealous that you are there now! Enjoy the rest of your trip - where you off to next?
ok, this is my last question.
I will be in mainly eastern European states that do not use the euro. Though I may venture into Albania and Kosovo. What is the best pre-paid card to use? Is it the FairFX or the Caxton FX.

Leave two weeks today

Quick Reply

Latest