The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would say that both wouldn't do a lot of good for your hair, but then if you are using heat defence spray at least thats going to hopefully prevent "some" damage. I would agree with you though, that most likely the straightening would cause more damage (especially if you are using GHD because they get soooo hot) - they're what i use and my hair is so damaged at the moment, its awful :lol: hopefully that kind of helps you :smile: x
Reply 2
loonyplatypus
I have really boring wavy hair so every day I either curl it with tongs or straighten it. I use heat protection spray when I straighten it, because that feels like it causes more damage (especially on the ends), but I was wondering if anyone knew which does damage your hair more?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

I use a straightener all the time and the only thing that has happened to my hair is just split ends, but I do trim my hair constantly so I don't worry about having to deal with split ends all the time since I trim my hair every other week :smile: gives my hair time to grow back the cm I cut off lol. Plus as long as you trim your hair and use heat protection spray or serum, you're fine :smile: The only bad thing is that if your hair is a slow growing type of hair, only trim it once a month or once every 3 weeks. Mine is really fast growing so I always have to trim it :smile:
Reply 3
both are just as bad as each other, as they both involve using heat. just keep up using heat protection spray, conditioner and some occasional hair treatments and your hair should be fine. i like chi silk infusion, an oil for the tips with silk proteins.
Reply 4
It depends what method you're using to curl and straighten your hair. When I curl my hair I use little or no heat, so if that's the case for you then straightening would obviously be more damaging, but if you're using straighteners/hot tongs to curl your hair then it's probably about even.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone :smile:

At the moment I'm trying to curl my hair with foam curler thingies overnight so I have to use less heat, and that's working pretty well so far :smile:

Latest