Turn on thread page Beta

The 'I am a Geek' society B) watch

ReputationRep:
    gemby, books > clothes.

Darkened Angel, thats all you needed to do in your first post. I too know the java, wonderful language. How competent are you?

I'm currently looking for developers (php/java/shell) for a shoutcast control script, called Cast Control. www.cast-control.com. tell me if you're interested, or anyone else for that matter.

I know the pain you feel when fixing other peoples computers, oh the pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgieK)
    gemby, books > clothes.

Darkened Angel, thats all you needed to do in your first post. I too know the java, wonderful language. How competent are you?
    Not very, I just borrowed a code from a site and made some changes. I only understand the basics of html, like I told you on msn and I'm terrible at self-teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    You must have known it was coming...

Does anyone want to join me in a geeks society, to talk about geekish ways! (Nerds need not apply)

Just reply with the reason that justifys you as a geek

Mine is well (apart from the fact I spell checked the title 'just in case') I play in two orchestras, get excited over finding a Wagner cd in the classcal section of virgin (well I am studying him next year) and I just spent a while deciding what fonts I would use for a project! :cool: come on there must be others out there!

Geeks!

andyj72 (classical music geek)
    friendlyneutron (biology geek)
    fleur-de-lis (well a normal geek)
    AT82 (Computer geek)
    Xanthe (a normal geek)
    Eeyore (checking email and choir geek)
    trixx (all round geek)
    Lirael Abhorsen (latin geek)
    userunknown (You hang around with geeks)
    yo-less (self confessed geek)
    galadriel100 (all round geek)
    trish xx (Classical music geeks)
    black_mamba (science geek)
    Swanie (Sci-fi geek)
    hallucination (html geek)
    Fragsta (PHP and l33t geek)
    Chicabella (Blackadder and history geek)
    Brown Eyed Girl (College geek)
    GengisKahn (PC geek)
    Jelkin (all round 'geek')
    dpali (a six reason geek)
    zazy (A cool mysterous geek)
    Lisa15 (Law / exam geek)
    dpali (all round geek)
    darkenergy (serial poster geek)
    killerbee (a complicated long-worded geek)
    nikk (Self confessed 'super geek')
    bodhisattva (Proud geek)
    DeLboY (pointless geek)
    Enfalas (A closet geek)
    yo-less (book geek)
    smallguy54321 (scared of the coolies geek)
    ayaan (total geek)
    The Mud Man (Science geek)
    sexysax (classical music geek)
    tritogeneia1 (Music geek)
    she's electric ( an all round geek)

To add in a spoiler in your sig

Spoiler:
    Show
    And the Geek shall inherit the earth!
    I'm a Final Fantasy and Buffy Geek

ReputationRep:
    You guys'll love this ->
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Geek-Inside-pa...QQcmdZViewItem

I dont have any money atm but I will be ordering this soon once I get some

ReputationRep:
    can i join? im a geek. im always typing away creatoing websites creating profiles htmls etc plus geek guys are hot!:p:

ReputationRep:
    hehe ive seen that geek inside thing everywhere, check out www.thinkgeek.com

spend your money better there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgieK)
    hehe ive seen that geek inside thing everywhere, check out www.thinkgeek.com

spend your money better there.
    Thats my favourite website Didnt know poeple celebrated pi day :rolleyes:
    I dont have enough money to buy stuff off there, the tags on eBay are cheaper. I might get a job soon though, and then I'll buy out thinkgeek! :p:

Theres also this site for geek shirts- http://www.geekbliss.com/
    Theres an IT Crowd shirt somewhere on there with 'Have you tried turning it off and on again' written on the shirt, cant seem to find it though

ReputationRep:
    hehe my personal favourite is 'theres no place like 127.0.0.1'

ReputationRep:
    Read Sci fi
    Read 19th century novels
    Program in DOS even though it's obviously crap, for nostalgic reasons
    Like retro gaming, eg. sinclair Z80
    Read/study Tolkien a bit more than is healthy - onto the history vol 3
    Read textbooks for entertainment
    Spend every spare minute on the internet - default to google when I've nothing else to do
    check email before leaving bedroom to get washed (dirty keyboard!!)
    listen to classic FM in the morning
    write amateur sci fi and fantasy stories and publish them on the web.
    ETC ETC

If you don't let me join, you're insane.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody catch ThinkGeek's April Fools joke? It's still there, pretty funny
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/
    Slashdot also did one but I didn't manage to see it

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1...mplete_List%29

ReputationRep:
    right i thought geeks were just computer nuts not loosers hu get excited of classical music *sniggers* and whats the difference between geeks and nerds??? any 1? confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bohemian)
    I want in! My reasons for believing I am a total geek:

1. Member of 4 orchestras, no less, playing violin.
    2. Enjoy practicing violin, frequently choose not to engage in social occasions in order to gain practice time.
    3. Re-taking an AS module (taken 2 years early) to get a higher A, that module lost me 20 marks overall, and I only lost 25 marks in total.
    4. Self-taught in the previously mentioned AS.
    5. Enjoy correcting teachers spelling, grammar etc., and occasionally maths skills.
    6. Secretly enjoy most coursework and all exams.
    7. Really want to be in a geek society

Saddo *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $ 3 >< '-| ( |-| |2 ! $)
    Saddo *cough*
    Who's the one with the l337 name? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $ 3 >< '-| ( |-| |2 ! $)
    right i thought geeks were just computer nuts not loosers hu get excited of classical music *sniggers* and whats the difference between geeks and nerds??? any 1? confusing
    to my knowledge, geeks are what you've mentioned above. nerds on the other hand are those who like to study or in other words, bookworms are what we call em. plz correct me if i'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Not all geeks are into computers, there's math geeks and science geeks too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    Not all geeks are into computers, there's math geeks and science geeks too.
    Correct. I'm hopeless at using computers.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd like to change my geek-type to 'general geek', please. I'm mostly a computer geek, though...hmm...could it be mostly computer, but still, general geek? Or maybe just go with general geek. Please.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragsta)
    I think I'd like to change my geek-type to 'general geek', please. I'm mostly a computer geek, though...hmm...could it be mostly computer, but still, general geek? Or maybe just go with general geek. Please.

Thanks.
    Or you could just be yourself? I classify myself as a geek but I dont try to conform to any type of stereotype and I dont particularly want to. It's a lot easier to just be yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    Or you could just be yourself? I classify myself as a geek but I dont try to conform to any type of stereotype and I dont particularly want to. It's a lot easier to just be yourself
    Absoloutely, I agree completely. However, for the purpose of this society I'd rather be specific. I'm not attempting to conform to any stereotypes, anyway, deliberate or accidental, I'm just deciding what best describes me as a geek. I don't know if you noticed the list of members on the first page? Well, that's the thing I'd like to be changed. I don't think it's currently a particularly good description of me, so I'm asking for it to be changed. However, I just noticed that the person who made it is now banned!:rolleyes: So I don't think I'll be having much luck there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it though you're preaching to the converted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragsta)
    Absoloutely, I agree completely. However, for the purpose of this society I'd rather be specific. I'm not attempting to conform to any stereotypes, anyway, deliberate or accidental, I'm just deciding what best describes me as a geek. I don't know if you noticed the list of members on the first page? Well, that's the thing I'd like to be changed. I don't think it's currently a particularly good description of me, so I'm asking for it to be changed. However, I just noticed that the person who made it is now banned!:rolleyes: So I don't think I'll be having much luck there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it though you're preaching to the converted
    Oh right, haven't really looked through that list.

Is there any chance of making this society officialy even though the starter of its banned?

And also, what exactly is a closet geek?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.