Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    has n e one here done maths HIGHER GCSE!
    because i have a choice of doing the foundation or higher !!
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

please help soon i'm in a panic!!!!

Charlie Girl x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolotte)
    hey guys
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

Charlie Girl x
    I did Intermediate tear. I wouldn't personaly do the foundation one as the highest grade you can get realisticaly is a D. The maths boundaries are different to other subjects.

Taking higher tear is a bigger risk though. Foundation tear is very easy its just simple basic maths. Intermediate involves a bit more such as trigomontery(sp) pyfagourous (sp) etc.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation doesn't have trig or pythagoras? Are you serious??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Foundation doesn't have trig or pythagoras? Are you serious??
    Nope basic equations is about as far as it goes. The hardest question you are likely to get it in is:

on wall is 20m
    the other is 4m

Calculate the area of the house. It is an exact rectangle shape.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell!

ReputationRep:
    Back to the original point . . .

If your predicted grade is G - D take foundation paper.
    If it is higher, take the higher paper.
    If you are worried about not being able to get the D on the higher paper and finding it too easy to get a C on the foundation, then ask your school if you can do the intermediate paper.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in any doubt dont take the higher one cos if ur not great at maths theres sum hard stuff in it like the cosine rule and various other complex bits and pieces, i agree with whoever said intermediate would e the best choice as it isnt really hard but enables you to get a better grade than in foundation

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm back again, i just wanted to say i got an A in maths, obiously at higher level, but i didnt find it easy and there is a lot of work in higher, i persoanlly think if the grades u can get on the foundation paper are < C then go for it cos its much easier to do easy stuff well that get scared by complicated stuff and not be able to do any of it.

ReputationRep:
    I did the higher maths paper and got an A, and to be honest i found it quite easy, although i am doing A-level maths, but there was only 25 of us in the year that did the higher tear, the majority did intermediate! If you find maths hard i would ask your teachers if you could sit a higher and intermediate paper and see how you do on them. If you do well on the intermediate (where the highest grade you can get is a B) then do that level, however if you do the higher and get an OK grade (ie B (mayb a C)) then i would do the higher paper, it may mean that you have to put a bit of extra effort into it, but a lot of uni's want people to have a minimum of a grade B or C at maths GCSE so the foundation mite not be a very good decision, and im sure that you are capable of doing well on the higher or intermediate tiers

ReputationRep:
    What year are you in? If you haven't started yet you should definitely start off doing higher. If you can't cope you can move down, actual exam entrys aren't sorted out until about 3 months before the exam and even then you can change your mind. One advantage in doing higher is that the other students tend to better behaved hen compared to foundation. So you should find it easier to get on with your work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    What year are you in? If you haven't started yet you should definitely start off doing higher. If you can't cope you can move down, actual exam entrys aren't sorted out until about 3 months before the exam and even then you can change your mind. One advantage in doing higher is that the other students tend to better behaved hen compared to foundation. So you should find it easier to get on with your work.
    Lol I was in set 4 maths when I first started my school. It really was full of thick scallies. I ended up in set 2 in the end.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should do intermediate- or start off doing higher and you can always be entered for the inter if you don't think you can do well.

only do foundation if you really struggle with maths. you should really ask your teachers.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

Charlie Girl x
    Hi.. I took maths higher because u cant get lower than a C. I'm not amazing at maths (the worst it the highest set) but im predicted a B/C cos u can achieve the highest marks. and if youve got a choice pickt he highest because ur obvieously capable of achieving the top marks : ) u go 4 it.. if it gets too much - go down a set.. no problem.. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i think you should do intermediate- or start off doing higher and you can always be entered for the inter if you don't think you can do well.

only do foundation if you really struggle with maths. you should really ask your teachers.

lou xxx
    don't do foundation..... you don't really learn anything new that you don't really know. You really want to be learning as much advanced mathematics as possible, as it comes in really useful in future life/job prospects... if you feel you're not REALLY that good at maths, go for intermediate/foundation tier, but see if you can learn the higher tier stuff as well... you will need it. But as someone mentioned earlier, with foundation tier you only get a maximum D for maths, which is not very highly regarded - you might as well gamble for intermediate or higher, since a D and a fail are practically the same anyway. The syllabus is not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

Charlie Girl x
    I'm doing my GCSE'S at the moment and I'm doing maths higher, unless you find maths really difficult you shouldn't do foundation because you can't get a C on it. I think the best thing would be for you to go through an intermediate and higher maths paper and see how many questions you can answer. Depending on how you find it you should make your choice, but also bear in mind the grade boundaries for the papers, I've been told that 75% of the higher paper is the same as intermediate, and if you get about 30% in the actual exam and have good coursework then you could get a C on the higher paper, but you have to get a higher mark on the intermediate exam.

ReputationRep:
    Do the higher work and then you can always drop down groups. My school decided to make me do all the intermediate work and then because it was piss easy they asked me if I wanted to do the higher but i had already been entered onto the intermediate and so I had to do that. I got a B which was the best you could get on the paper and it was incredibly easy but because I had done intermediate the school wouldnt let me do A Level maths even though they were letting people who got a B on the higher do it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone its been a real help i think i'm gunna take lots of ure advice and do the higher exam nd if i struggle i'll go down nd do the intermediate!!!

ReputationRep:
    Take the higher paper, you only need 20% to get a C and its not hard at all.

ReputationRep:
    i did intermediate, twice, and got a D, twice, im doin it for the third time now and i NEED a C!!! lol

if you think you're good enough at it, aim for as high as possible do higher!

ReputationRep:
    do higher, so what if you don't do well? it gives you a possibility of doing well and a D in GCSE maths isn't worth that much, sorry to be harsh!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2004

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.