Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do intermediate, it's the best way it will alllow you to get a C at least. WIth foundation the highest garde you can get is a D.

If you are planning to go univerisity, most of them would want you to have atleast a gradr C in maths. So if u was to take the foundation and was 2 get a D, you would do maths gcse again at intermedate level to achive a the grace C or above that is reuqired for monst univeristies.

ReputationRep:
    the highest grade at foundation is a C, well unless it was changed this year. i did intermediate it was piss and i got a B (the highest grade)

ReputationRep:
    did it use 2 be a C in foundation, my skool fecked me upp onmy mtahs gcse i fort i was doing intermeidate but dey entered 4 foundation.

Idiots happen to two of my m8s as well, he ad 2 do the intermdeiate paper in november.

ReputationRep:
    If your maths is anything like your english then I can see why you did foundation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing foundation right now (not literally)

The highest you can get is a C

ReputationRep:
    ull neva get t grade u wanna get wiv foundation. i did the higher and i passed @ a grade C but it was enuff hard plus if ur not v.gd @ maths then u mite not pass. do the intermediate and revise cuz then u can get a C cuz sum o me m8s got Cs wiv the intermediate tier. plus if u get a D or summat, u can always resit it n do the higher tier agen. hope that helps.
    Clur :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Plus with Higher tier it is often easier to understand the stuff that goes on the intermediate and fouindation papers as the teacher tends to explain and proove where the equations, formulas and rules came from. And as someone said earlier, 75% of it roughly is from the end of the intermediate paper, so you can work hard at that, and then any extras you can get in the last couple of questions are a bonus. Start doing practice papers if you struggle, and if you really can't cope then do intermediate. But I know you can do higher

Lugz.

ReputationRep:
    In my crappy school, a group of 5 of us including me were in the higher maths set, it was the first year ever my teacher had taught it in her time there (18 years is quite a while, she had a nervous breakdown shortly afetr my year left, doesn't say much for us really does it. Anyway, if you can get the hang of the basic principals of maths then higher is a doddle if you can expand on those principles

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. remember that, never be afraid to take the easy option if it will get you to the same place.

ReputationRep:
    hey, well I really think you should take higher maths! I did higher maths, and seriously, you don't need to get a high % to get a C. It might be a bit more risky than doing foundation, but I'm sure you will get more out of it. Just make sure you understand the main bits of everything, and even if you don't answer many q's in the exam, chances are you will be able to scrape a C. i read somewhere that in maths you needed 54% to get an A. It made me feel slightly less special about getting an A* hehehe.. but its a good thing for you, as a C will look better than a D!

ReputationRep:
    Im sure if you revise loads and practice everything u shud do fine on the higher. i just did my mocks in maths the otha day and there was loads of really easy stuff in it and only about 6 hard questions. if you practice im sure u will do fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you only have the choice between foundation and higher, go for higher - it isn't that much worse than foundation/intermediate and the potential rewards are far better.

ReputationRep:
    I did higher tier exam and got a C and im terrible at maths however i did get 2 A* in my coursework which did help a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolotte)
    hey guys
    has n e one here done maths HIGHER GCSE!
    because i have a choice of doing the foundation or higher !!
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

please help soon i'm in a panic!!!!

Charlie Girl x
    if you think you may get good you better choose higher math but if you are dumb you better choose foundition i am myself choosing higher math.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the option, do the intermediate tier, if you find maths difficult. Otherwise, I would go for the higher tier and revise really hard. I just don't think the foundation's worth it because you can't get a very high grade so even if you get full marks, you wont've done well. I did the higher and got an A in my mock fairly easily. I'm not great at maths (I struggle quite a bit) so if I can do it I'm sure you can. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Heya

I would definatley reccomend you doing higher tier- you only need to get 16% to get a grade C and i think it is around about 50% to get a grade A so really, higher tier allows you to get a decent grade without knowing much!

ReputationRep:
    I DID INTERNEDIATE TOO I GOT A B I wood recommend 2 take foundation tho coz peeps i no who r real clever took higher and came out with B's so its the safe option to take foundation paper. U made uo ur mind yet?

ReputationRep:
    i am not very good at maths but im going in for higher as it doesnt seem too bad on the sample papers. Private msg me

(Original post by chocolotte)
    hey guys
    has n e one here done maths HIGHER GCSE!
    because i have a choice of doing the foundation or higher !!
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

please help soon i'm in a panic!!!!

Charlie Girl x

ReputationRep:
    Maths higher paper is quite hard and if you are not very good at exams play it safe and go for the foundation as it is much easier to pass.

You can get a higher grade easier on the lower paper.

Hope that helps good look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Nope basic equations is about as far as it goes. The hardest question you are likely to get it in is:

on wall is 20m
    the other is 4m

Calculate the area of the house. It is an exact rectangle shape.
    EXCUSE ME, i did foundation and it wasn't anything that simple.

ReputationRep:
    I did Intermediate tier. The highest is a B which is what I got. I wish I had done Higher really, never mind - I'm happy with a B!

If you find maths easy then go for higher, if not go for foundation. Have you not been given the option for doing Intermediate??

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.