Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolotte)
    hey guys
    has n e one here done maths HIGHER GCSE!
    because i have a choice of doing the foundation or higher !!
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

please help soon i'm in a panic!!!!

Charlie Girl x
    The majority of people do Maths higher in the country, and compared to a level maths, its like doing easy fractions. But I'm afraid I'm one of those people that have more mathematical aptitude than linguistic or artistic.

The key with maths is to make sure that you do really well in the topics you do get so you can afford to drop down on the areas you're not too sure in. And for GCSE maths all you have to do is practise practise practise and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolotte)
    hey guys
    has n e one here done maths HIGHER GCSE!
    because i have a choice of doing the foundation or higher !!
    i kinda think i'm gonna do higher because u can get an A but i'm not very good at maths exams or maths altogether!

If sum of u cud tell me if the higher GCSE is hard and people if youve done the foundation is it hard?

please help soon i'm in a panic!!!!

Charlie Girl x
    i know i am not great at maths and found gcse maths very easy and got an a*. Make sure you do well in your coursework though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i know i am not great at maths and found gcse maths very easy and got an a*. Make sure you do well in your coursework though
    Getting an A* means that your are good at maths, but you feel personally that you're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Getting an A* means that your are good at maths, but you feel personally that you're not.
    im not good at maths thats 1 thing i know, im struggling p2 at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that depends cos some people in my school done inter and got Bs while as some doing higher gto Cs, however some also got As... The decision is yours, it just depends how much u enjoy it cos thers alot of work at higher. x

ReputationRep:
    I did Higher and I'm definitely NOT a Mathsy person! The exams I was fine on - got an A, but my appalling coursework dragged me down to a B. I would take the highest tier you feel you can. If you're truly terrible at Maths, then do the Foundation, as that way you at least come out with a GCSE. If it doesn't come naturally and you don't like it, but do reasonably well, try the Higher. It really depends on how much you're prepared to work for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    im not good at maths thats 1 thing i know, im struggling p2 at the moment
    Well quite a few of the girls at my school struggle with P2. I'm lucky, since I'm doing further maths the maths teacher's taught some of the stuff in P2 early so we can get on with P4 and P5. It's not bad, when it gets to revision you'll see it all clicks.

A* Maths GCSE-rs generally get at least get a B at Maths AS anyway

ReputationRep:
    do higer! because even if you do bad you can still get a 'c'! i'm going to do higher bu t thats just cause im good at math!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    do higer! because even if you do bad you can still get a 'c'! i'm going to do higher bu t thats just cause im good at math!
    Old thread! Do higher. Aim for the top.

ReputationRep:
    yea im doing higher at the moment.. its okay really- n trust me, im nt totalyl gr8 @ maths... but i didnt get a choice to pick from foundation n higher... i was just put on it according to my maths set
    courseworks are annoying tho

ReputationRep:
    This is a old thread...i dont even think that ure courses have already been submitted...but i reckon ull do fine on the higher...as u can still get anything from a* to a b!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Foundation doesn't have trig or pythagoras? Are you serious??
    Intermediate Tier has NO Pythagoras or trig.

ReputationRep:
    well i understand the grade boundaries are quite low, so i guess this must mean the exams will generally be hard? atleast for Higher Maths/

ReputationRep:
    I did higher and managed to get an A and I am not brilliant at maths. The higher paper is easier to get a B in because you need a lower % but if you don't think you can pass it do the intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the majority who voted in the poll. Do the higher, Even if you are not good at maths. I've seen some of the foundation papers. One of my mates did the foundation and the first question was "draw a 6cm line in the middle of the page" and the question to follow after that was "mark the middle of this line".

I'm sure you're better than that. I was pushing to do the higher paper, but then i looked at half the stuff they did and knew i couldn't do it. I stuck with the intermediate paper and got a B, I think i got a very high percentage as thats what my teacher said.

But even people who did the higher for the sake of it, got Cs, D's and a couple i know got U's.

But to make sure you get a good grade with a non-risk approach. I suggest you go for the Intermediate.

Only my 2p's worth.

Cheers AJ

ReputationRep:
    So many smart people here.... In my maths class, there are only 4 people doing higher GCSE

ReputationRep:
    if you hav the choice between papers then im sure yr teacher must think yr capable of doing higher???

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2004
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.