This discussion is closed.
Alex
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i have to do an essay about the character crooks is wriiten about throughout the story also about the structure of the whole story basically how stienbeck writes his novel however i have to focus on Crooks mainly
if any1 can help youll be doing me a huge favour!
thanku
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
hi i had to do an essay on that novel and i found it really easy once you get into it.
the thing i focased on was how he was treated because of his handicap,race and where he came from.
also if you focus on his emotions and the way he felt about how people would treat him.also look at the bit when lennie goes to see him and the way crooks takes advantage of lennies disability.
inj the end it all comes down to how people treated each other and how socity affects people.
Good luck and i hope i have helped.
email if u need any more help!
[email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
see him and the way crooks takes advantage of lennies disability.
Yea this is quite a big part of the story as it shows how every1 has power and controls others as well. Also some significance to way lennie has control over curly, curly has control over crooks yet crooks has control over lennie?!?!? There are several things too look at also from this part how lennie is dumbest yet treats crooks as equal to others, doesnt see the race issue

-Bez
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi
i am revising of mice and men this year and crooks is a very easy character to do.
the main themes of the book are LONELINESS , the ENDLESS CYCLE OF LIFE(hardships,society+the depression) and the SIMILARITIES BETWEEN ANIMALS AND MEN. Try to think about how these apply to crooks. e.g. "his bed is a box of hay..."- like that of a horse. this short story is a microcosm of life-it sums up the big picture.
just list how steinbeck shows the difference with which crooks is treated and acted with by the other men. This can be your back up for the treatment and feeling towards blacks at this time in america.
then go on to say how it has affected crooks like e.g. how he teased lennie when he comes in to his room at first...but then how he realises lennies childlike oblivion to his skin colour. and he even goes on to say that he would like a part of the dream that him and candy r discussing.
Talk about crooks' childhood memories about his brothers.
At the end of the scene in the barn, crooks goes back to rubbing ointment on his back like in the beginning of the chapter.
This is very significant because steinbeck shows that the chapter has completed a full cycle and crooks is back at the beginning having gained nothing. In the hard lives of the men in OMAM in this case crooks, nothing changes.
hope ive helped. need any more email [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I did that last year. Crooks has basically got the themes of lonliness, poverty, seclusion, isolation.......all that stuff. Just use loads of quotes and dont waffle. Hope this helps.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yep, and one important thing to note is the racism displayed in the ranch. this has historical significance too.
If you need any more major help, email me at:
uresogullibleuactuallythinkthisi [email protected]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads