Rejected by Cam for Law? What are your other choices?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have to choose between Manchester, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and Leeds...

I'll probably opt for this:
Nottingham
Durham
Manchester
Warwick
Leeds

How is Warwick? Should I place it higher? Or how about Durham? Better than Notts? I've never visited these places as I'm an international student and I would really like so advice. Some people have already given me pointers, but now I'm making final decisions. It's so difficult! I would esp like to hear advice from pple doing Law or people who have been to those places already. Thank you.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)

Nottingham
Durham
Manchester
Warwick
Leeds

How is Warwick? Should I place it higher? Or how about Durham? Better than Notts? I've never visited these places as I'm an international student and I would really like so advice. Some people have already given me pointers, but now I'm making final decisions. It's so difficult! I would esp like to hear advice from pple doing Law or people who have been to those places already. Thank you.
If i had to choose, i'd opt for:
1)DURHAM
(beautiful surroundings, community spirit + reputable)
2)NOTTINGHAM
(nice campus, reputable-i visited there didn't think it was THAT great though)
3)WARWICK
(reputable BUT...in the middle of no-where...2nd yr acomod miles away)
4)MANCHESTER
-Don't know too much about it, great City though and university is considered reputable)
5)LEEDS

Just mpo, im sure other's would disagree
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Woo.. okie. So I guess I'll end up choosing between Durham and Nottingham as those seem to be most people's faves after asking around. This is so hard! Choosing a uni that I'll spend 3 years at, when I haven't even see the place! Lordy.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have a look at this site, at your chosen unis:

http://www.studentuk.com/uniguide/index.html
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
actually...rather this one:

http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My top three in order would be

Durham
Warwick
Nottingham

Though it depends on what you want, do you like to go out or do you like quiet places? Nottingham as the most nightlife by a long shot over the other two but id say durham and warwick were more beautiful in the surrounding area
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd say Nottingham. Then again, I'm biased since I'm probably going there myself next year.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Thanks for the website. Now I wish I had seen it before. hehe..
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I've heard notts has a very good reputation for law but i won't comment further than that as i am far too biased
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
I've heard notts has a very good reputation for law but i won't comment further than that as i am far too biased
Thanks for telling me that
butterflew
Report 16 years ago
durham can be a bit pretentious, depending on the college. and there seems to be great division between the two groups of colleges which can't make for a very good atmos. but warwick is a great uni- if you like music it has a great musical side to it with the fantastic arts centre etc. the reason the music is so great there - orchs, gilbert and sullivan stuff, student musicals + productions etc is probably because they don't have a music faculty, so everyone doing it is really keen on it as a hobby, not just obliged to because of course commitments. my brother went there and loved it, only beware that they don't keep tabs on your work, i.e. are you actually getting on with it, so if you need hassling perhaps not the best place to go.accomodation wise, in 2nd and 3rd yrs you could live in coventry (not so nice) or leamington spa (really quite nice, a bit like bath)
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)

Nottingham
Durham
Manchester
Warwick
Leeds

Personally my top 3, in order, would be
Warwick - Very good reputation, really nice uni. Don't worry too much about accomodation being far away, it's really not that bad - Coventry is just up the road, Leamington is a little further, but a lovely place to live.
Nottingham - Also a good reputation, I'm told there's a good nightlife, if that's what you're after.
Durham - good reputation, but I'd put it 3rd, although admittedly I mostly only know what I've seen in the prospectus.
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
i'm not sure really, and everybody knows i'm biased because durham is amazing, (the rivalry between colleges just makes it better because your college feels like a family!!)
but as i dont do law i wouldnt know anything about the course, Ave Han does law though so she may be able to give you advice as she applied to all of your top 3 (i think).
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AmyBlue)
i'm not sure really, and everybody knows i'm biased because durham is amazing, (the rivalry between colleges just makes it better because your college feels like a family!!)
but as i dont do law i wouldnt know anything about the course, Ave Han does law though so she may be able to give you advice as she applied to all of your top 3 (i think).
Hi, that's right! I applied to all your top 3, and in order I would say...
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. Nottingham
4. Warwick
5. Leeds
I'll tell you why...
Durham is a great University, the course is great, and it's much easier to adapt to than a big city if you don't know the area, which you won't being an international student. The college system is also very welcoming, so you'll be less homesick! Also I know a couple of international students doing law at John's, and John's also has a college parent system, so you get people to look after you, and show you around. The degree course is very flexible, so you get to study the kind of law that you are interested in. Durham, and it's law dept. also has a great reputation.
Manchester...well it's a big city, so you'd have to be prepared for that, but it's a great city, there is so much to do, and i love it there. Also, the course as Manchester is fantastic. Very similar to Durham in it's flexiblity. The accomodation is modern, and there's a lot of en suite if that's what you like. Uni has a great reputation too.
Nottingham...quite an ugly campus, high crime rate, and the law dept, or the uni as a whole does not do as well as either of the above two. Course is also quite ridgid. Less choice of what you study.
Warwick...in the middle of nowhere, not very pretty either. Durham has a better reputation than either Warwick or Notts. Course is not as flexible as others.
Leeds. Nice city. Cool shops. Again though it's another big city, so easy to get disorientated! Don't know much about the course.

Hope it helps! Personally I'd choose Durham...well I did!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info! I'm having such a hard time. Notts, Manchester and Durham are all apparently really lovely.. Warwick too.. though people's tastes differ.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
id go for:

durham
warwick
nottingham
leeds
manchester
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nottingham
Warwick
Durham

Then I'd stuff the rest
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Warwick
Durham
Nottingham.

Definatley NOT Manchester, you would be making a massive error going there over the other 3.
Warwick first because it has a fantastic reputation, but it only just beats Durham which is also pretty amazing. Nottingham also has a good rep but I don't think it is particularly good for law and I have never been very impressed with the names like the other 2.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Warwick
Durham
Nottingham.

Definatley NOT Manchester, you would be making a massive error going there over the other 3.
Warwick first because it has a fantastic reputation, but it only just beats Durham which is also pretty amazing. Nottingham also has a good rep but I don't think it is particularly good for law and I have never been very impressed with the names like the other 2.

I would disagree to an extent. Although Manchester does have a good reputation for Law, i too would not opt to go there. But i would not go to Warwick, i know some currently attending there and it's not amazing. I would go for Durham, it is more prettier and has more prestige. And as for Nottingham, it is very good for Law. They also have a Law School there for people who choose to do their CPE there.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
I would disagree to an extent. Although Manchester does have a good reputation for Law, i too would not opt to go there. But i would not go to Warwick, i know some currently attending there and it's not amazing. I would go for Durham, it is more prettier and has more prestige. And as for Nottingham, it is very good for Law. They also have a Law School there for people who choose to do their CPE there.
Yeh that's what I heard too. I have friends from my country in Warwick and they seem to regret it though it is very reputable. Nottingham seems to be a good 'all round' university. I've nearly decided that is where I want to go.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads