Turn on thread page Beta

lyrics - dont understand watch

ReputationRep:
    as usual but look at greendays song - wake me up when september ends.
    Why september :confused: why not next summer? Am I missing something? Or is it simply suggesting septembers the most depressing month cause its the end of summer? Still cant see why he'd wanna wake up in October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    as usual but look at greendays song - wake me up when september ends.
    Why september :confused: why not next summer? Am I missing something? Or is it simply suggesting septembers the most depressing month cause its the end of summer? Still cant see why he'd wanna wake up in October.
    Maybe September fits in better becasue it has three syllables. Or maybe there is no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    Maybe September fits in better becasue it has three syllables. Or maybe there is no reason.
    could have been November then just in time for christmas. Or December if he wants the New year.

ReputationRep:
    Octoberfest.

ReputationRep:
    I guess summer's the height of fun and revelry and Green Day's sick of childish pleasures and cannot wait to grow up. But you know, read whatever you want into the lyrics - it's open to multiple interpretations, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it also to do with September 11th? Thats what I've read all along anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkPigeon)
    Isn't it also to do with September 11th? Thats what I've read all along anyway...
    that is what it's about. They are an anti-war band.

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as they link the song with ideas of terrorism and terrorist attacks, I figured september was a connction with the 9/11 attacks. (*If you've seen the video you will understand.)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    College starts in september! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wake me up next July! and preferably before my birthday!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it must've been about September 11th. I hate that video, it's so soppy and cheesy and the girl has a voice like a man. I jumped when I first heard her speak.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with 9/11. Billy Joe's father died in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    It's nothing to do with 9/11. Billy Joe's father died in September.
    Yeah that's what I thought. You people confuse me. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    I do lack the green day trivia. Dont like there new stuff, what can I say.

ReputationRep:
    Billie Joe also said that he sees September as start of the year or something like that.Might be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    if you see the video, it might have something to do with that- the boy went to war, and comes back in september maybe?

ReputationRep:
    did you ever look at the video ??....??
    obviosly its sumthing to do with war cos its in the video!
    or maybe 1 of the band knew sum1 who ...knew sum1 who went to war and could not stand going thru that time without that person! that time could of been september!
    maybe ther was a war thingy in america in september at sum point!

ReputationRep:
    People, this song has nothing to do with September 11th.

This song was written about the death of Billy Joes father, who died 20 years ago (at the time of writing the song in 2003)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in agreement with Mrs.Political.

The fact that the "soldier" is on a tour of duty, and 'when September Ends' is when He gets back home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    People, this song has nothing to do with September 11th.

This song was written about the death of Billy Joes father, who died 20 years ago (at the time of writing the song in 2003)
    :ditto:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.