Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge, this has not been posted on the forum yet so apologies if it has...

I know you all love league tables so here's a new version of the Top 500 World Universities, compiled by Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005TOP500list.htm

ReputationRep:
    That's old news...everyone's heard of it, got published ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial College is ranked 23rd, the second university in the table after Oxbridge.

*Wonders where LSE got ranked* :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Imperial College is ranked 23rd, the second university in the table after Oxbridge.

hmm LSE... low.

Nice to see Sheffield up there at 65th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    hmm LSE... low.
    203rd apparently. :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yup. According to the website (http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm), it says updated on August 12. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    no 1 is harvard with 100 points, no 2 has about 73. sounds like a pretty crap system of ranking. I don't remember even seeing a score for teaching, all they looked at is stuff like research.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are only interested in how universities rank in terms of their science/engineering faculties (or lack of them) this table is worthless. The THES tables take all subjects into account and thus achieve a far more sensible ranking for all concerned.

ReputationRep:
    LSE can't be that bad can it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Unless you are only interested in how universities rank in terms of their science/engineering faculties (or lack of them) this table is worthless. The THES tables take all subjects into account and thus achieve a far more sensible ranking for all concerned.
    No wonder. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why do they take 'alumni' into consideration? That's really quite silly.. Winston Churchill went to Harrow, but that doesn't make Harrow tops now does it?

Although I don't really know much about what I'm talking about here so I might as well leave it at that

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to believe that Queen Mary's in London is better than Durham. And Reading ranked higher than Warwick?! What were these people smoking when they compiled this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Why do they take 'alumni' into consideration? That's really quite silly.. Winston Churchill went to Harrow, but that doesn't make Harrow tops now does it?

Although I don't really know much about what I'm talking about here so I might as well leave it at that
    Meh, I know that alumni would not be a deciding, or even a contributing factor towards my decision... Besides, how can you fairly rate universities for their alumni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I refuse to believe that Queen Mary's in London is better than Durham. And Reading ranked higher than Warwick?! What were these people smoking when they compiled this?!
    Reading may very well be better than Warwick, some peoples expectations of Warwick are a little high, and Durham, well the teaching is pretty naff, as is the research. IMO, the only thing that keeps Durham ticking is its healthy flow of Oxbridge rejects...

ReputationRep:
    certainly disagree with some

ReputationRep:
    Alumni add prestige to an institution and one might say that high achieving alumni points to a very good university but i agree that it there are far more important criteria to ranking/selecting a university.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a link to the THES table.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember, but I think it's been altered since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Has anyone got a link to the THES table.
    http://www.thes.co.uk/downloads/rank...gs-16pages.pdf

ReputationRep:
    nice1

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.