Turn on thread page Beta

Coursework a let down? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else feel thtt your grades have been affected by coursework?
    i personally cannot handle coursework that well, i have a good exam technique and do better in the exams. i think i may have missed out on 2A*s and 2As because of coursework, for the last 2 years in mock exams i got an A* for geography, yet i only got an A for my results :eek:

im really gutted about this and the same for maths, the only thing i can think of is my coursework, which i really really struggle with, the same goes for my science, where for 3 years (i took a paper in year nine) i have been gainin borderline A/A*, my results B :eek:
    is anyone else in a similar postition?

i think the exam system should be modernised so that you can do either just coursework, just exams, or a bit of both, do you ? for instance if you prefer exams yout take more papers than someone who wants both exmas and coursework?

anyway, everyone else seems to e showing of with their grades, so ill list mine, im un happy with them, but what can i do? *shrugs*

Maths A
    Geography A
    English A
    English Literature A
    GNVQ ICT Merit (4 Bs)
    Science BB
    Food B
    Drama B
    Statistics C
    Citizenship D
    RE E

anwyay, there you goes

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qooky.com/uploads/gcse_performance.php

porter2002,
    # You got 88 GCSE points. out of a possible 120 (for your 15 GCSEs)
    # Your average Points per GCSE is 5.9 out of 8
    # Your percentile (0 being the best and 100 being the worst) is 24.9%
    # This means that you are in the top 24.9% of the country.
    # It also means that you are in the top 186750 students out of 750000, nationally.
    # Your Oxbridge Admissions Score is 2.4 (This is scored by giving 1 for every A* and 0.6 for every A)
    # Finally, nationally, 1 in every 4 students, possesses your level of ability or above.

You are still in the top fourth of the country!

ReputationRep:
    last year my maths coursework let me down, but i still got the highest grade i could get a B cos i did intermediate, my coursework was utter cr*ap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    http://www.qooky.com/uploads/gcse_performance.php

porter2002,
    # You got 88 GCSE points. out of a possible 120 (for your 15 GCSEs)
    # Your average Points per GCSE is 5.9 out of 8
    # Your percentile (0 being the best and 100 being the worst) is 24.9%
    # This means that you are in the top 24.9% of the country.
    # It also means that you are in the top 186750 students out of 750000, nationally.
    # Your Oxbridge Admissions Score is 2.4 (This is scored by giving 1 for every A* and 0.6 for every A)
    # Finally, nationally, 1 in every 4 students, possesses your level of ability or above.

You are still in the top fourth of the country!
    :eek: thanks lol, cool site! i guess your right cheers, although i do still think id prefer just exams :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind coursework. I just hate the disparity between the effort you put into certain courseworks and the percentage which it gives you. For example, the 20% in Science is too easily achieved compared to the 25% that the tremendously large Geography coursework will bring you.

ReputationRep:
    I think my coursework let me down in a few subjects at GCSE, but I learnt my lesson and made sure my AS coursework was as good as it could be, so coursework actually helped me out this year. At GCSE I was 4 marks off A*s in both English and English lit and got a mixture of A*s and As in the exams, but one piece of coursework that counted for both subjects was a B/C and my speaking and listening coursework for language averaged out as a B. In maths I actually got a low A in the exams, but a high C for coursework, which dragged me down to a mid B. However, at AS I got 90/90 in my sociology coursework and 79/90 in my English lit and history courseworks, whereas I got BB in the 2 English exams and BD in the 2 history exams. I got overall Bs in both thanks to my coursework

ReputationRep:
    i agree, i learnt from my mistakes, this year i was 6 marks of full marks in one of my courseworks and i still got a c which i am not happy about

ReputationRep:
    I was within 5 marks of A*s at Englih and English Lit too. My coursework was all A grade. It was a let down, but inspite of that, I think we have to be objective and say that coursework is a necessary form of testing. It allows students who don't cope well under pressure to perform to a higher standard and it also allows really in-depth research and prevents people from taking the 'bound to come up' approach.

ReputationRep:
    With coursework.. the exam boards are basically handing you free marks. You get help from your teachers, a week to write an essay you could write in an hour, for example - this is a good thing people!

Vazzyb - I concur

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the exams than coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the help bit is also nice However, making the argument for coursework even stronger, people who don't ask for help or just aren't bothered to work hard, won't get the necessary marks. Its such a simple and useful system.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer it if the system stayed as it currently is..but maybe if it became a bit more balanced, so the weighting was equal for both components.

My grades were affected by coursework, but in a good way - in all subjects, except maybe for Maths, I'm pretty sure that it will have boosted my grades. So I'm very thankful we have the option to do it.

However, for those who don't like doing coursework, they should have the option to do an extra exam instead - as you can in subjects like Business Studies.

ReputationRep:
    What i don't get is how my techers marked my science coursework at A* and it didn't get sent off to be moderated yet on my results slip i only got 125/160 which lowered my mark down to AA, i'm soo mad at that, i might ask it to be remarked. But apart from that coursework normally works favourably for me.

I did hear something about boys being worse at coursework and better at exams and girls the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt I've done better in exams - if we didn't have any R.E coursework I would of gotten an A instead of that B... And I wouldn't have got a D in ICT!

ReputationRep:
    Coursework made it more difficult for me to achieve the grades I wanted. Coursework didn't help me at all. Have myself to blame for that, as I decided, I couldn't really be bothered with it and rushed the lot on the last night before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with my coursework. It was a real effort to just sit down and attempt it. I used to panic and become easily off put by large peices of work. However by some miracle all my courseworks (bar Graphics) were A*/A/B... They probably saved me as my exam technique is much to be desired for! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I hated doing coursework, but it definately boosted my marks. I got 2 Bs in history coursework (when averaged the 2 courseworks together i was 4 marks from an 'A' :mad: ) but it was nice to know i had 20% already. Same with maths and science.

ReputationRep:
    I loved coursework got A* i most subjects and at least A's in them all (cept ICT) would love to do pure coursework

ReputationRep:
    They say that boys do better in exams and girls do better in coursework as they are GENERALLY perceived as more conscientious.

ReputationRep:
    i'd reduce the importance a bit. pre-results i would have said get rid of it completely, but i think it may have helped me in a few subjects...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.