Lethal`
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just had my name changed via Deed Poll. Of course I need to start changing it with different organisations, bank etc.

Now, I plan to get the name updated on my bank account. Will I encounter any complications with updating it for Uni (mainly with Student Finance and UCAS).

Thanks!
username233985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no i wouldnt have thought so, just update your personal details on ucas etc

why did you change your name? just out of interest
Lethal`
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by victoria13)
no i wouldnt have thought so, just update your personal details on ucas etc

why did you change your name? just out of interest
Parents separated, rather not go into it. My thinking is that UCAS have their records, my offer uni's have their records and student finance have their records. Am I going to have to contact each to get them updated?
username233985
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lethal`)
Parents separated, rather not go into it. My thinking is that UCAS have their records, my offer uni's have their records and student finance have their records. Am I going to have to contact each to get them updated?
oh ok, i thought you meant your first name lol,

yes you probably will have to contact all of them and every other place that holds records of you. It shouldnt be a problem, they will just change your name on the system and then it will be fine. Ring them it will probably be easiest
EleanorD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did you get certified copies of your deed poll? When I changed mine I just sent a copy to Student Finance, they changed it and returned my certificate to me a week later. It should be just as easy with UCAS.

Also your bank will have the details of your old name still, so if money comes in or out with your old name it will be ok. I haven't had any trouble changing my name except with Virgin who have decided that as I haven't got married I count as a new person and want to charge me to change my details. Morons. But my bank doesn't flag it up even though the name is different.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EleanorD)
Did you get certified copies of your deed poll? When I changed mine I just sent a copy to Student Finance, they changed it and returned my certificate to me a week later. It should be just as easy with UCAS.

Also your bank will have the details of your old name still, so if money comes in or out with your old name it will be ok. I haven't had any trouble changing my name except with Virgin who have decided that as I haven't got married I count as a new person and want to charge me to change my details. Morons. But my bank doesn't flag it up even though the name is different.

With Virgin, quote the data protection act (they have to have up to date and accurate details) at them :P if they don't change your name you'd be liable to sue them
EleanorD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
With Virgin, quote the data protection act (they have to have up to date and accurate details) at them :P if they don't change your name you'd be liable to sue them
I had 2 weeks of going around in circles with them before giving up, but I'll try again with your advice and see if they finally get the idea that I'm the same unmarried person, just with a different name
kareena21
Report 10 years ago

hey EleanorD

I wanted to ask for your advice. I am thinking about changing my first and last name by deed poll. i have applied to uni this sep and also student finance. i know once i have done the deed poll it will have to be sent to student finance, uni etc etc, i just wanted to ask whether you experienced any problems, i mean, with student finance did they ask you why you changed your name or did you tell them in a letter or something as i dont want any delays with them getting back to me. thanks a lot and please reply asap.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kareena21)
hey EleanorD

I wanted to ask for your advice. I am thinking about changing my first and last name by deed poll. i have applied to uni this sep and also student finance. i know once i have done the deed poll it will have to be sent to student finance, uni etc etc, i just wanted to ask whether you experienced any problems, i mean, with student finance did they ask you why you changed your name or did you tell them in a letter or something as i dont want any delays with them getting back to me. thanks a lot and please reply asap.
They shouldn't care why, if they do tell them to foxtrot oscar just get it changed (also, don't use a lawyer or anything, just get it done for free, see above)
kareena21
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lethal`)
I've just had my name changed via Deed Poll. Of course I need to start changing it with different organisations, bank etc.

Now, I plan to get the name updated on my bank account. Will I encounter any complications with updating it for Uni (mainly with Student Finance and UCAS).

Thanks!
Hey i am also going to change my first and last name and will have to inform uni, student finance etc, any advice/tips? thanks
at0micsmurf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm thinking of changing my name to Lester Corncrake

EleanorD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kareena21)
hey EleanorD

They don't need to know why The only problem I had was with Virgin Media who can't understand that I didn't get married.
When I got my yearly statement from Student Finance it has a slip on it where you write any changes to you name/address, I filled it out and sent it with my deed poll (I got certified copies so I sent on of those instead of the original). They returned it quite quickly via recorded post.
I suggest just writing a quick letter saying 'Please be advised that on [date] my name was legally changed from [Old Name] to [New Name].'
kareena21
Report 10 years ago
They don't need to know why The only problem I had was with Virgin Media who can't understand that I didn't get married.
When I got my yearly statement from Student Finance it has a slip on it where you write any changes to you name/address, I filled it out and sent it with my deed poll (I got certified copies so I sent on of those instead of the original). They returned it quite quickly via recorded post.
I suggest just writing a quick letter saying 'Please be advised that on [date] my name was legally changed from [Old Name] to [New Name].'
oh ok. thanks.
JustaThinker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hi

Just a quick question, how long did it take for student finance to change your name via Deed Poll?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (434)
56.14%
I don't have everything I need (339)
43.86%

Watched Threads