The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ny2ko
you don't have to be. read my post thats before yours

Your post is.............bull ****. "A free ride". :eek:
Reply 21
jj1234567890123
Your post is.............bull ****. "A free ride". :eek:

dude its true. check their site. as long as you get in and were willing to have applied for financial aid. Ive met people that didnt pay a cent and went to MIT.
divine_alive
Why are you so desperate about MIT? I mean.. I understand its one of the best universities in the world.. but why aren't you open to more options?

I'm glad it's aimed at a specific university and not just "I really want to study in the Ivy League, like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford..." (intended inclusion of non-ivy) - MIT is a great school, especially if you are aiming to go into the sciences :smile:
ragnar_jonsson
I'm glad it's aimed at a specific university and not just "I really want to study in the Ivy League, like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford..." (intended inclusion of non-ivy) - MIT is a great school, especially if you are aiming to go into the sciences :smile:

without a doubt it is.. but there are other good universities also
Reply 24
boromir9111
Cause he watches tv people and all around tv are American shows where it may as well have a poster on there, "If you're smart, go to MIT, harvard, princeton...."etc....

:rolleyes:
Yeah, I forgot MIT is ****. He just wants to go because it's prestigious. Duh!
For engineering, MIT really is the best in the world. I've visited and the opportunities open to undergrads really are mindblowing. MIT >>> Oxbridge all day for engineering.
But yeah, you will have to work hard because admission rates are about 2/3% internationals. If you set your heart on it, you will most likely end up very disappointed.
Start the application process early. People usually say a year before the deadline, I would say 1.5 years is more like it, with all the essays (MIT had the most out of the schools I applied to) and SAT and SAT II, some of which you'll probably want to retake and all of which you will have to seriously prepare for (British curriculum doesn't exactly translate to US standardized tests)

I decided I wanted to apply at the end of last August, it was a hell of a few months to get everything done on time and I didn't have any chance to re-sit the SAT.

What they are saying about MIT financial aid is true. MIT (like a very few other schools such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton) is need-blind for internationals as well, which means they look at your parents' income and decide how much you can pay. They pay the rest, tuituion, room, board, books, everything factored in. At MIT specifically, they expect you to work ca 10 hours a week on campus and guarantee employment for you if it is included in you financial aid package.

It might be true that people first hear about good US schools in TV shows. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I decided to give MIT a try knowing almost nothing at all about it, but that McGee from NCIS went there. Later I did proper research and it turned out to be my ideal university. I was ridiculously lucky with that one.

Also, don't get you hopes up no matter how strong you application is, because international admissions rates are VERY low. They have a policy that no more than 8% of a class can be international and they have loads of internationals applying.
Reply 26
mangaartist? did u get into mit?
ny2ko
mangaartist? did u get into mit?

Yepp, just a few days ago, from the waitlist.
Reply 28
Mangaartist
Yepp, just a few days ago, from the waitlist.

High five! Thats impressive, especially as an international student. :smile:
I got rejected flat out even with a legacy.
I might try again for postgrad. We will see...
sufcmax

MIT doesn't take legacy into account when selecting people though so that doesn't mean you application was bad, just a record number of people applied this year. Frankly, I totally gave up on the waitlist for this reason.
Reply 30
sufcmax

Got rejected too man! happens. Props btw manga artist.
Reply 31
Admission to places like MIT is not restricted to students of specific nationality. It's based on your application. With respect to financial aid. Places like MIT will offer you money if you demonstrate the need for it - there is no thing like a scholarship.
Would MIT be good for a major in German?

Latest

Trending

Trending