Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, I am definately doing biology and chemistry and I was unsure of choosing which 2 from physics, French and geography. I thought I had settled on physics and geography, but after getting my GCSE results, I'm not so sure. I was sure I would get A* for geog and I got an A and got an A* for French. So, now I'm thinking bio, chem, physics and French. Do you think this is a good choice? (I got A* in bio, chem and physics as well.) Oh yes, I would like to do something like biology or medicine at uni.

I thought about it properly and I didn't actually enjoy geog in year 10, but after getting a fantastic teacher in year 11, I started to find it interesting. A lot of my friends are doing it as well and there is also a cool (lol) trip to Iceland next year. But then there is also the fact that French is really liked by unis etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final_F)
    OK, I am definately doing biology and chemistry and I was unsure of choosing which 2 from physics, French and geography. I thought I had settled on physics and geography, but after getting my GCSE results, I'm not so sure. I was sure I would get A* for geog and I got an A and got an A* for French. So, now I'm thinking bio, chem, physics and French. Do you think this is a good choice? (I got A* in bio, chem and physics as well.) Oh yes, I would like to do something like biology or medicine at uni.

I thought about it properly and I didn't actually enjoy geog in year 10, but after getting a fantastic teacher in year 11, I started to find it interesting. A lot of my friends are doing it as well and there is also a cool (lol) trip to Iceland next year. But then there is also the fact that French is really liked by unis etc.
    Physics, French and Geography would all provide a good choice, regardless of the combination. Although it is not compulsory, if you are wanting to do something science-orientated at uni, then perhaps the 3 sciences would be best?

Then it would be a choice out of Geography and French. Both are 'respected' by unis, so it would be a personal choice... you've got to love what you study, don't feel forced to do a combination because it seems to look better. You say you liked Geography when you had a better teacher - will they be teaching you at AS/A2? If you had a not so good teacher, would you still enjoy the actual subject?

You also mentioned French as being really liked by unis, but you haven't said how you find it...do you enjoy studying French?

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important thing is which subject you want to do because you enjoy it. You are good in Geog, French and Physics, so there is not much difference in how difficult you will find each subject at A level. By enjoying the subject, you are able to get a higher grade than one that you don't particularly enjoy. I think any of these subjects are good to study! They are all referred to as "traditional subjects" so I would not say that one subject is less looked apon by universities.

What are you thinking of studying in university, or have you not made up your mind yet?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, your comments have been really helpful already. Yep, that's what I thought - if I'm doing something sciency, 3 sciences would be good to have and I love science anyway (however, I don't like maths). I really like French as well and I was settled on doing it for most of year 11, actually. I also found it quite an easy subject.

No, I haven't decided between biology (or biochem or something like that) or medicine yet, but I am planning to do some work experience next year to help me decide.

For geog, yes I will have the teacher for half of the lessons and I will have a different geog teacher for the other half (who is also good as I had him in year 10 for a little while).

Ok cool nice subjects

ReputationRep:
    If you forget about the teachers, forget about your GCSE grades and forget about which subject universities would prefer, which subject do you prefer? There's no point taking French just because you got an A* in it if you don't actually like it, and equally there's no point in taking geography just because you like the teacher. A-levels are a lot more work than GCSEs and if you don't like the subject, you won't work hard at it. At GCSE you can get away with not doing much work and still getting good grades, but A-level is completely different. And what would you do if your geography teachers left halfway through the year and were replaced with crap teachers you hated? It's you who has to do work outside of school, you who has to revise and you who has to sit the exams, so liking the teacher will be no use to you if you don't like the subject. From a university point of view, I'd say French would look better because it contrasts with the sciences, whereas geography is still a kind of science, and universities love languages, but as I said before, it's important to do what you want and not what you think will look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    If you forget about the teachers, forget about your GCSE grades and forget about which subject universities would prefer, which subject do you prefer? There's no point taking French just because you got an A* in it if you don't actually like it, and equally there's no point in taking geography just because you like the teacher. A-levels are a lot more work than GCSEs and if you don't like the subject, you won't work hard at it. At GCSE you can get away with not doing much work and still getting good grades, but A-level is completely different. And what would you do if your geography teachers left halfway through the year and were replaced with crap teachers you hated? It's you who has to do work outside of school, you who has to revise and you who has to sit the exams, so liking the teacher will be no use to you if you don't like the subject. From a university point of view, I'd say French would look better because it contrasts with the sciences, whereas geography is still a kind of science, and universities love languages, but as I said before, it's important to do what you want and not what you think will look good.
    Lots of good points all well made.

I agree.

I do all three Sciences and I like it. But that doesn't mean to say you will. I personally have a grudge against Geography. So I'd go for Physics and French. But you have to go for what you want.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.